NameSilo

Domain marketplaces auction off domains that violate trademarks

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Me and a number of other bloggers have been writing about the increased abuse of UDRPs this year and just how easy it has become for someone to lose a domain, even when they buy from a well-respected marketplace. The latest UDRP which I read about on DomainGang is Coolfit.com which was purchased on NameJet in early 2017.
While I’m a huge fan of NameJet, Go Daddy, Sedo, Uniregistry and many of the other popular domain marketplaces, it is important to remember that they sell a ton of names and researching each one to determine if it violates a Trademark (even algorithmically) isn’t going to happen. Couple this with the fact that UDRPs have become a new path for people to acquire domains given how easy it is to abuse, trademarks or not, and it means that as a buyer you really need to do your homework before buying a domain name.
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back