Dynadot

Domain Buy Service by GoDaddy - Any experience ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello,

I have been recently contacted through the GoDaddy's Domain Buy Service for the interest of their client in purchasing my DN.

Do you have any experience with this kind of service by Godaddy ? For me it was the first time I have been contacted by this service.

Thanks for your feedback

rokoroko

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, I have sold multiple domains via their buy service, including some of my larger sales. They have a strong team of agents that are very good at explaining domain value to the potential buyer.

Brad

•••
I see , so there is a probability I have a situation with end user , as usual domain investor would not need this service. This could be connected to the x.xxx initial offer.

•••
I see , so there is a probability I have a situation with end user , as usual domain investor would not need this service. This could be connected to the x.xxx initial offer.

From my experience it is normally an end user. Domain investors know how to contact domain owners. Many people who use GoDaddy's Buy Service aren't as knowledgeable about the domain field in general, or want to remain anonymous.

Brad

•••
From my experience it is normally an end user. Domain investors know how to contact domain owners. Many people who use GoDaddy's Buy Service aren't as knowledgeable about the domain field in general, or want to remain anonymous.

Brad
it could be even the big fish - "or want to remain anonymous" - this would be the best scenario - not sure whether I have not scared them off by my counteroffer ,-) by xx.xxx

Last edited:
•••
I had a $2500 sale through GD Buy Service not long ago. The terms of the service from the buyer's perspective would lead you to believe they're either an end user or uncomfortable negotiating themselves.

They pay $50 for Godaddy to start the process plus an additional 20% on top of the agreed price if Godaddy is able to secure the name. Budget friendly doesn't exactly come to mind.

Throwing out a large number to start makes sense since you never know who's on the other end of that offer but the buyer likely already has a max budget they're willing to spend and Godaddy's 20% makes up part of that. Take clues from the Godaddy rep if any are given. The broker probably doesn't know the max budget but they might know the identity of the buyer which gives the broker a general sense of a realistic sales range. If the broker is helpful at all they'll let you and/or the buyer know if they are way off.

The initial offer also tells a lot. In my case, it was $500 which is enough to let you know it's not someone just kicking tires similiar to the $100 offers you get on Sedo.

•••
I have 2 high sales through them, but 2 other times they buyer on GoDaddy's Domain Buy Service wouldn't offer more than around $500. So, it really can go either way with them.

•••
thank you guys for your feedbacks, my initial offer was low $X.XXX.
From my experience there is usually the space for 5-10 times from initial offer in case of end user. The initial sum is usually for testing the waters.
I own even the singular of this DN , in case they might be willing to buy the cheaper version.

Once, long time ago I have got an offer of 5000 euro as initial offer for .CN domain extension on Sedo.
I was in quite hard time for me at that time , I haven checked my emails for long period , this offer expired after 7 or 14 days I remember. It had to be a big fish too.

Last edited:
•••
thank you guys for your feedbacks, my initial offer was low $X.XXX.
From my experience there is usually the space for 5-10 times from initial offer in case of end user. The initial sum is usually for testing the waters.
I own even the singular of this DN , in case they might be willing to buy the cheaper version.

It seems like you're in a pretty good spot with that opening offer. Take your time before responding to counter offers. That's a negotiation cliche because it works. Good luck.

•••
Slightly disappointed with GoDaddy Buy Service.

I called yesterday to get some clarification on when payment should be expected. I was told that I was going to be paid today, and was not.

Tomorrow will be day 3 that the new domain owner has their domain name, and the payment timetable has been very inaccurate... vague at best.

You only get a notice when the prospective buyer pays GoDaddy, then you transfer the domain, and then there is almost no communication between you and the rep after the 'you can push the domain now' eMail.

The account change process is also painfully slow. It took 36 hours for GoDaddy to accept the domain in, and again there was no communication during this process.

I have had much smoother transactions via Escrow than being on the seller end of GoDaddy buy service.

•••
Back