IT.COM

Domain appraisal scam

NameSilo
Watch
The domain appraisal scam is still alive and kicking.

I was approached to sell a domain, an LLLL.com nothing spectacular and asked for a price. I duly replied with an opener of $400. The reply back was that he was a broker for a well heeled client and price was not a problem, he was disappointed in my price as he took commission of 10-15% and would not consider a domain at less than $1000. "Please value the domain at $5000".

I responded and he than said "Good. please obtain a valuation which includes investigation of TM issues and state that you have had an offer close to $5000 which they will take into account" He then provided a helpful link to a domain appraisal from an extract from an "archived forum discussion".

The price for an appraisal on that site was 79 euros for one domain.

Investigation online revealed several similar email requests and I have responded by sending a link to the scammer to show the game is over.

Be aware.

Attachments

• appraisal scam.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 55
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Happened to me a month ago. The same 79 euros and archived Google "Forums" link.

•••
I get 4 or 5 a month of these, just ignore them

•••
Just reply asking them to pay for the appraisal and then to make their offer !

•••
Never got this again since last year.

•••
The guy is back at it,we have had 2 emails just this week,on recent transfers to us,and last month on a hand reg.His M.O is always the same the names and countries change though.He is indeed from Russia,moved apartments about 6 months ago,if you dig deep enough you can even find a picture of him.I know this because when he first approached us about 3 years ago,and tried this he wasted my time,so I have been putting a little "portfolio" together.
I think just ignoring him is not helping any new domain investors who could be conned by him,email him back and say your calling the cops or interpol or something just to give him back a bit.

•••
Scams should be obvious to most. Those who fall for it probably deserve to. They might learn a valuable lesson.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back