IT.COM

Does Snapnames still have shill bidding?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bashar

Kuwaiti DomainerEstablished Member
Impact
I was locked out from my snapnames account because the last time I used it was 10-15 years ago, so opened a ticket to re-open it because I was notified by their monitoring service about an auction for a domain was monitoring.

Anyhow till they opened my account after calls, uploading passport copy, new credit card info (although i spent $xxx,xxx on their platform in the past) till I finished and they replied the auction was closed unfortunately.

Now back to the topic, the bidding history was really weird, I noticed 2 bidders were bidding all the way to the end and the winner did not pay yet, if he fails to pay would it fall to the first bid of the 2nd bidder (although the price is way far?) or they will just remove one bid of the winning bidder and give it to 2nd highest bid?

I came across the old news about shill bidding on snapnames and they had some bad employees who help with that here https://techcrunch.com/2009/11/09/snapnames-gets-hit-with-class-action-suit-over-shill-bidding/

Does this still happen at snapnames or its just a coincidence?
history of bidding below and you can see the last bidder was bid was $87 from another user then the fire bidding started between bo*** and ro***** from $87 till $426, in real life scenario if bo**** defaults it should fall all the way to $87 but what is the usual practice from snapnames these days? would they re-auction or award it to ro**** at $426 or $87? any experience sharing is appreciated :)
snapnames_auction_bid.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I believe I stopped using Snapnames shortly after the HAlvarez scandal broke out. In other industries, the fines would have been in the millions but we just got a refund . I believe my check was under $50 but I saw that name on many auctions.

•••
Sometimes the winner pay the same day, but other times they take a few days to pay. It's too early to say that the winner won't pay.
About the screenshot you are showing, I don't see anything wrong there. 2 bidders begun the bidding war between eachother, and the rest of the bidders simply didn't bid for that one. I have seen that many times.
And about what happens when the winner bidder don't pay, I am really not sure how they manage now.
But some time ago, I think that I saw a re-auction, and another time a re-auction but at Namejet (some time after the Snapnames auction). But now it would be the same, as the two platforms auction the same domains.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
•••
I've been involved in an auction many years ago there and the highest bidder defaulted around $15,000 (although we started the bid war from 4000-5000) but Nelson if memory serves right told me we can't cancel all his bids all the way to $5000 otherwise we'll have to re-auction the name, and he told me if you are willing to pay $11,000 ill give you the name, so i had to overpay because of some of someone or bidding, later down the years we all came to know Nelson Brady was a fraud and he was actually who increases the bids if you remember this article https://www.oregonlive.com/business/2010/05/snapnames_sues_former_vice_pre.html

and the same story happened to me with 2 letter.net too over bidding and the highest bidder ran away and not all his bids were canceled and had to overpay.

so i was wondering if this still happens at snapnames :)

•••
I've been involved in an auction many years ago there and the highest bidder defaulted around $15,000 (although we started the bid war from 4000-5000) but Nelson if memory serves right told me we can't cancel all his bids all the way to $5000 otherwise we'll have to re-auction the name, and he told me if you are willing to pay $11,000 ill give you the name, so i had to overpay because of some of someone or bidding, later down the years we all came to know Nelson Brady was a fraud and he was actually who increases the bids if you remember this article https://www.oregonlive.com/business/2010/05/snapnames_sues_former_vice_pre.html

and the same story happened to me with 2 letter.net too over bidding and the highest bidder ran away and not all his bids were canceled and had to overpay.

so i was wondering if this still happens at snapnames :)
In my opinion, when the highest bidder defaults, the domain must be re-auctioned.
This is the only fair way to go in this case.
Bidding against just one bidder and then asking you to pay your last highest bid if the winner defaults, is just a very bad practice.
I have seen domains being re-auctioned at dropcatch and snapnames last years, but I don't know what happened on 2010.
Sorry to hear it happened to you.

•••
just as an update, both 2 highest bidder defaulted, and snapnames emailed saying they are going to re-auction, but no date is set and they are not telling me any date to expect it so, thus we need to wait till they feel like it and re-auction it :)

atleast there is a chance for me to participate now

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back