IT.COM

registrars Does Snapnames indulge in Backorder Fraud?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GoWebnames.com

Truth alone triumphsTop Member
Impact
I just backordered a dot .ORG domain dropping today at Snapnames. (Will share the domain name in a while if this cheating suspicion is confirmed)

Snapnames has secured the domain as the WHOIS shows [email protected] as owner with create date of today (2015-03-25T14:30:17Z).

But I find that in my "Pending Orders" tab in Snapnames account, the domain status has turned to "Backorder" from "Auction Starting.....". This, as far as I know, is Snapnames telling me that they were NOT able to catch the domain while they actually caught the domain.

Anyone else experienced this? Can they do this, selectively misappropriating backordered domains if they feel like it? Do I need to raise a large hue and cry to get them to get my domain?

Please share your experience if any.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: Opened a support ticket, don't have a response on it yet but the auction email was sent to me within seconds of opening the ticket. Just a coincidence?

Anyway, now I am in auction with 1 more bidder. Will reveal the name later.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This means more than 1 person backordered it from snapnames and soon (pending) you guys get to battle it out in a private auction.

•••
It means you were not the only one who backordered the domain so there will be auction between the ones that backordered the domains (this usually starts the same time as .com/.net/,... backorder auctions) or the domain will be placed in your account (also the same time as the auctions usually start as you will be the only one you are going to get it in your account - could be 1-2 hours from usual auction start).

•••
Are you guys sure? I have never before seen a "Backorder" status if the domain was caught by Snapnames, it usually stays at "Auction Starting...." and then goes straight to "My Bids and Watched Auctions" tab when the private auction begins.

This is the present status:

DbPfV7L.png

•••
I've had that happen several times before and it has always turned out to be an auction. It is very confusing, especially when you are looking in your account, but I wouldn't worry about it. They really should be sending you a notice about it to let you know, rather than leave you in confusion IMHO.

Hope this helps!

•••
Yup, it did turn out be an auction but it was certainly confusing as to whether the domain will be put to auction or not.
The domain name in question was Sahar.org (Sahar is persian for Moon) and there was just another bidder, I let it get away eventually since the bidding war was too furious! :)

•••
Thanks for updating us GoWebnames. I notice "Sahar.org" still has the backorder option when searching SnapNames, lol.

•••
Thanks for updating us GoWebnames. I notice "Sahar.org" still has the backorder option when searching SnapNames, lol.

Yes, that way backorder option is always open for any given name I guess.
WHOIS shows one "Stanley Pace" as the current owner: http://www.whois.com/whois/sahar.org
Guess, he religiously bids on all dropping ORGs :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back