Dynadot

Does It Matter Where You Register A DN?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
If you buy a domain and plan to sell it, how much does it matter where you register the name (if at all)? I know that sites like enom work a bit differently, but besides that could where you register hurt your sales chances?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Usually not, but watch out for registrars that charge a fee to transfer the names to a new owner. Most of the popular registrars offer free pushes to a new owner. Even Network Solutions offers this now.

Register.com comes to mind for their $200 fee for ownership transfers. They also have been very difficult for me to transfer domains away from, so I personally try to avoid purchasing domains that are registered there. Joker.Com is another one that both ownership changes and transfers away are difficult.

Generally though if a registrar makes it difficult to transfer a domain or charges a fee, you can opt to transfer the name to a different registrar prior to doing an ownership change.

•••
Thanks. When I first got into making sites I noticed that fee on Register.com, and I thought all transfers would cost that much! Thankfully I was wrong.

•••
Right, it only matters if you get a registrar that provides free and fast transfers/pushes.
:)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back