IT.COM

question Does GoDaddy catch names to put then on their close out auction?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

muttus

Established Member
Impact
Hi,

I am fairly new to this business and until now I have been hadreging my domains after they drop though. Of course soon I learned that most cool domains will never make it down. It seems that some domains which are about to drop (according to expired domains) never make it down but instead I can find them in closeout auction. I am still trying to figure how it works but I have one main question for now.

Does it actually happen that Godaddy catches dropping domain and put them on this auction?

One more.

Where do items from unsold close out auction go?

Thanks for clarification.

Muttus

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It depends where the domains are expiring from. When they are expiring from Godaddy, they go into Expiring Auction at Godaddy. If nobody buys them, then they go to fixed price Closeout Auction at GoDaddy. If nobody buys them even from there, they drop. Some other registrars, apart from GoDaddy, hold similar auctions for their domains, while some registrars drop domains without auctions.

Anyway, the domains that actually drop can be caught by drop catcher services, who will usually (99% of the time) register them quicker than a hand-regging person. GoDaddy provides such services, but they are not good at catching domains (even those that drop from Godaddy itself). The best domain catchers are SnapNames and NameJet, but they are expensive. A cheap, but not totally bad domain catcher is Dynadot, for example. In any case, if the catched domain was backordered by two or more persons, it goes on an private auction between those persons (or, in some other services, on a public auction).

•••
•••
Thanks for great reply. I was having such idea, but clarification of seasoned domainers is always better. One more question if I may :)

After closeout auction, when do domains actually become available for hadreg. Is it the next day or do they go through 5 day pending delete period? Or something else?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back