IT.COM

Does Dropcatch.com miss a lot of domains lately?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Has anyone noticed that Dropcatch.com miss a lot of domains lately, mainly to snapnames/namejet but also to some other registrars?

I noticed the change at around mid December and it only gets worse:
In the past, a full Dropcatch.com backorder would almost never fail to get caught and either go to auction or get moved in my account (~99% success ratio) with the 'discount' backorders being also pretty successful.

Now though, I almost never succeed on 'discounts' and experience a very low catch ratio on full backorders where, when they get caught, they always get to auctions.

Is that a thing or is it just me and the domains I choose to go after?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If it's an obviously popular name I won't backorder on dropcatch or pheenix, that way less resources are allocated on the drop and more chance it will go to private auction on snap, pool, dynadot, etc. Some noob is going to put their backorder in anyway and you join the auction afterwards.

•••
In my experience, in a contrary, Dropcatch is getting more powerful than ever lately.

•••
Has anyone noticed that Dropcatch.com miss a lot of domains lately, mainly to snapnames/namejet but also to some other registrars?
dropcatch is tired of grabbing worthless domains from the trash can! lol
And if you look at the bright side, that's good news, because they could miss good domains lately, so we can pick them up!

•••
Same experience here, for French domains at least.
When DC misses them, they are always snapped by another namecatcher. It's impossible to hand reg something decent in French.
Regarding DC results, it's more or less stable in my case. Pheenix, Dynadot and Pool are decreasing, Godaddy very bad as always, Domraider not succeeding yet, and Snapnames a little improving. Particularly, I have good results with prnator, which is a Snapnames reseller that allows to pay almost half the price of Dropcatch. And what I like is that it always send the domains to my Netsol account, where as with Snapnames it can sometimes be a nightmare to manage a domain snapped by a partner.

•••
@centreurope
Very true, everything you said (except DC success in my case ofc).
Didn't know about that part about french domains. Good to know.

•••
In my experience, in a contrary, Dropcatch is getting more powerful than ever lately.

Then it could be me and the domains I try to backorder.
Truth is, there is crazy competition lately so it could be that fact as well.

dropcatch is tired of grabbing worthless domains from the trash can! lol
And if you look at the bright side, that's good news, because they could miss good domains lately, so we can pick them up!

That could be true... if only other backorder services didn't pick them up :)

Last edited:
•••
Just noticed today that a VVCV com snapped by snapnames/namejet. In the past that would have gone to Dropcatch for sure.

•••
If it's an obviously popular name I won't backorder on dropcatch or pheenix, that way less resources are allocated on the drop and more chance it will go to private auction on snap, pool, dynadot, etc. Some noob is going to put their backorder in anyway and you join the auction afterwards.
exactly...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back