Dynadot

question Does developing website reduce value of the domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Leo2k

Established Member
Impact
Will developing website on a domain reduce the value of that domain if I wanted to sell later in case the website didn't pickup or sell it for a good price?
Considering the domain purchaser would have different purpose for the domain and the website I built before posting it for sale was a different niche, will that have an effect on the price?

You can let know in short or in detail if,
1. Yes. Used domains will have less value
2. No. Used domains will have more value
3. Used or not doesn't decide the value of the domain

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Parked / landing pages are most often banned from search because they are classified as spam.
I know 'For Sale' landing page contents are blocked by plugins like uBlock for ads and almost shows the page plain white. But what makes it classified as Spam? Is that for the same reason? If yes then may be a simple landing page template which just displays only the For sale with the price box would help?

•••
Upvote 0
^Because a static 'for sale' landing page offers "no value to the web" (Google), it is considered spam.

•••
Upvote 0
^Because a static 'for sale' landing page offers "no value to the web" (Google), it is considered spam.
Makes sense. Then I believe the right strategy would be, as few others mentioned as well,

Domain name is in demand - Keep it fresh and just list it for sale in the marketplace without a lander page
Domain name is not in demand - Build something, promote the name and sell the domain w/wo site.

Am I right?

•••
Upvote 0
Nobody should take domain and marketing advice from a guy on this thread.

He can't figure out how to change nameservers to Dan, Afternic, Sedo, etc. for selling domains. All talk, no action.
Why not help them a lot of people here have guided me in past and i am grateful.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Makes sense. Then I believe the right strategy would be, as few others mentioned as well,

Domain name is in demand - Keep it fresh and just list it for sale in the marketplace without a lander page
Domain name is not in demand - Build something, promote the name and sell the domain w/wo site.

Am I right?
A domain listed in a marketplace, without a lander, may still deliver a nullifying 'blank page' result to search bots.

If a domain name is in demand, keeping it fresh requires 'fresh' content from time to time.
If a domain name is not in demand, why waste time building on it -other than a sales lander?

Buyers who want a property have no problem clearing the lot... to build something or leave vacant.
Like any domain owner, they do what's right for them. I'm just saying some dev beats a vacant lot.

Perhaps the 'right strategy' is forwarding undeveloped domain traffic to high ranking prospect sites, with a 'domain for sale' timer delay screen, and a notice contact to the receiving domain owner stating the benefits, and the rotational nature, of the link to leading domains in their field / namespace.

Of course they can own the traffic link for a quarterly (reg)fee, or buy the domain outright.
This way you make ~300% profit over reg fee, and as you have the buyer on-line purchases can go straight to an escrow service -avoiding marketplace commissions.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back