Dynadot

Does age of domain increase value?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Does simply an age of a domain increase it's value? Or does it depend more on if there are backlinks, existing search crawls, traffic etc.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
All the best domains where registered years ago so they are naturally "aged" on the flip side I see loads of crap that has been registered for years on the drop lists.......

For me age by itself has nothing to do with the "value"......it depends on the quality of the domain itself

You can get random looking domains with great backlink profiles, unless you park or develop it then the domain itself would be worth very little in those cases......

•••
I agree wholeheartedly with you that it's not age, but quality of domain itself.
I was just curious since I see a lot of sellers quote "age", like it's a selling point in itself.

•••
Let's put it this way. If you take 100 random domains that were held for 10 years and 100 domains hand-regged within the last year - the average quality (and resale value!) of the first group will be significantly higher. However, you already can't stay the same if you compare one on one. That means that in a very general and indirect way aged domains do have a better quality, however you buy a certain, specific domain - thus you better don't take age as a decisive (or of any significant importance) factor. Just a very side, supportive one.
People who ask for ''age'' are kinda trying to limit their choice to that ''better quality aged basket'', that's it.

Last edited:
•••
Let's put it this way. If you take 100 random domains that were held for 10 years and 100 domains hand-regged within the last year - the average quality (and resale value!) of the first group will be significantly higher. However, you already can't stay the same if you compare one on one. That means that in a very general and indirect way aged domains do have a better quality, however you buy a certain, specific domain - thus you better don't take age as a decisive (or of any significant importance) factor. Just a very side, supportive one.
People who ask for ''age'' are kinda trying to limit their choice to that ''better quality aged basket'', that's it.

correct, to me if it's a great domain name that hasn't aged, it's valuable in my mind irregardless of age
if it's a crappy domain name but has aged much longer, I don't care as it's still not valuable in my mind

•••
As the other people have said, Age of domain definitely increases its value only if the quality of the name is worthwhile.

•••
endusers will not care about age if its quality domain .
in the resellers eyes aged quality name is like gold , but non aged like silver .

•••
Yes, the age of your domain adds value to it and is a key SEO element in your Google ranking. The age of your domain, or how long it has been around, is one of the hundreds of weighting criteria that Google uses when determining how to rank search engine results.

Some argue that domain age isn't a significant factor, but I believe it is. If I were Google, I'd say that time filters out the bad sites, because if something isn't good, it won't last long on the internet, right? It's an excellent filter, and I believe Google employs it, even if it's not a major component because, in SEO, all criteria are considered.

•••
All depends if it has value to start no point hoping you are adding value by spending more.

•••
I think that age of domain means nothing for Google.
Even if there was successful site before (now new one, or nothing).
Also, I'm sure that most domainers do not think like me. So, you can sell aged domain for more price.
Just imho.

Last edited:
•••
There is also aged still working backlinks some domains get thousands of hits because of it.

•••
Well some people think age matters but I cant tell you it doesn't all depends on the domain I could drop catch a premium domain and it would sell for a decent amount so for me age doesn't matter.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back