NameSilo

news Does adding “.com” to a word make a trademark?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

koolishman

Top Member
Impact
On May 4, the U.S. Supreme Court presided over its first-ever remote oral argument in the matter of U.S. Patent and Trademark Office v. Bookings.com. The case garnered considerable attention because the arguments were made over telephone lines with each justice remotely questioning the witnesses, and all on a live feed to the public. Uncharted waters indeed for our country’s highest court.

Story.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think the difference is in the ".com" suffix. They should allow exclusive rights to the generic words only in combination with the".com", ".net" etc. As such, "car.com" would qualify as a trademark but not "car"

•••
In my opinion - no.

Using the 'car.com' example already mentioned then any similar registrations such as using .co, .cm, .om would be challenged, besides which I do not think courts would uphold it as the .com would be regarded as too widely used to allow such a trade mark even if issued to stand.

Last edited:
•••
•••
just registering a .com no?
Although being first to register a trademark puts you in a good position but.............not if you registered it after a business using the same name started their business using that name had already "opened shop" or announced online about their business launch.

In that scenario you it would not be advisable to "contact" said business. best to have them contact you direct.
If you want a .com to have what's called an "unregistered trademark" kinda like the "poor man's Patent" technique where if you have an idea and want to patent it to protect it. You write up a letter stating what your idea is in detail and make 5 or 10 copies of that letter. and put it in an envelope seal it good.send it via mail. pay extra like certified or whatever so the mail gets extra official stamps on it from the post office.

and then have it sent to you.

after you get the letter. never open it. till the day you need to prove you were the first to have this idea. of course. this only works in a scenario where you blabbed your mouth and someone you know stole your idea. if someone in the other side of the world thought of your idea first well. not much help this scheme.

but as far as "unregistered trademark" if you reg a .com AND developed it into a business and "open up shop".

Then that's possibly a defendable trademark. but just registering a trademark. no not a chance.

•••
if you have an idea and want to patent it to protect it. You write up a letter stating what your idea is in detail and make 5 or 10 copies of that letter. and put it in an envelope seal it good.send it via mail. pay extra like certified or whatever so the mail gets extra official stamps on it from the post office.

This is a piece of zombie folklore.

https://slate.com/technology/2014/0...ailing-something-to-yourself-doesnt-work.html

Yet the myth persists. There are countless Internet forums where commenters spout misinformation about copyright and intellectual property law, and claim that they are protecting their creations through the poor man’s copyright. But somehow they never seem to cite any triumphant stories of successfully defending it in court.

•••
This is a piece of zombie folklore.

https://slate.com/technology/2014/0...ailing-something-to-yourself-doesnt-work.html

Yet the myth persists. There are countless Internet forums where commenters spout misinformation about copyright and intellectual property law, and claim that they are protecting their creations through the poor man’s copyright. But somehow they never seem to cite any triumphant stories of successfully defending it in court.
The point is to put it out there to be corrected.

And I am corrected.

It is a persistent "folklore" because on several occasions I've overheard old people talk about this like it's some kind of understood thing..

Even met one of those New Jersey farmers who strangely have PHD's and used this technique to "patent" his new pig feed or new fertilizer using a blend if manure and charred wood.

When you talk to these "geniuses" you kinda don't feel the need to "confirm" it really.

I do notice you did not correct the rest. Just this part. Lol

Is that @jberryhill 's of giving me "props" lol:xf.grin:

I'll take what I can get! Lol

Thanks @jberryhill

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back