IT.COM

Do you think the Russia-Ukraine crisis will cause any significant impact in the domain industry?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you think the Russia-Ukraine crisis will cause any significant impact in the domain industry?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    50.8%
  • No

votes
    27.7%
  • Not sure

votes
    21.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Anees Ahmad

Established Member
Impact
war-sixteen_nine.png

The US government expanded sanctions against Russia. All US transactions with Russia's central bank is just cut off. SWIFT, Wise and remittance processor Remitly have suspended their services in Russia. Putin ordered a ban on foreign exchange loans and transfers by Russian residents to outside of the country.

Stock market and cryptos are already going crazy. Do you think these will cause any significant impact in the domain industry as well?

@Bob Hawkes @James Iles @iowadawg @briguy @GILSAN @johname @Silentptnr @mr-x @JB Lions @Kate @Samer

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Swift will be replaced with something else.
.UA domains will be less valuable.

Russia-Ukraine conflict is not an isolated event. It represents end of the war between good and evil.
When did it start, 10 years ago, and maybe millions of years ago.

I'm not saying Ukraine is evil, but it was invaded by evil forces in 2014 via an orange revolution.
Ukraine is being liberated, Russia is helping, because Ukraine doesn't have the power to clean itself.

edit: Why didn't Russia do it in 2014, ..because at that time the West was run by DS and was very agressive and was trying to start ww3. The current president Trump has good relations with Russia, and was always peaceful, so we won't see big war, unless Ukraine attacks itself to blame Russia... In that case, I suspect Russia would have to use EMP bomb and make all electronics in Ukraine dysfunctional. And recovery would take long time.

Last edited:
•••
I don't think it will effect all that much personally.

Russia has a relatively small GDP of around 1.5T, 11th in the world.

As bad as this is for the Russian people financially, the vast majority of which don't seem to support this, I don't think it will do much in the domain world.

If the war spreads, it could obviously have a major impact on supply chains and the world economy in general.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I'm not saying Ukraine is evil, but it was invaded by evil forces in 2014 via an orange revolution.
Ukraine is being liberated, Russia is helping, because Ukraine doesn't have the power to clean itself.
Ukraine is being liberated by Russia? WTF are you talking about.

Russia is invading a sovereign country that doesn't want them there and causing massive carnage, and paying a massive price for it. Their entire economy is in ruins. I wonder if most Russians think it was worth it...I sure doubt it.

The Ukraine people are against it. Russian people are against it. The entire world is against it.

It is a real warped view to see it as Russia liberating Ukraine.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Ukraine became a place for GMO seeds, organ harvesting, bioweapons, money laundering, terror against its own people, etc after Feb 2014 Maidan orange revolution. If you only watch mainstream media, you can't learn the truth.

https://www.globalresearch.ca/
https://www.larouchepac.com/
these are good sources (but not perfect, because they pretend Biden is the real president).
There are many other sites, maybe better ones, giving info about this topic, but I intentionally chose ones which can't easily be classified as "fake news" by the mainstream system.

Last edited:
•••
Russia has already tried to develop an alternative called SPFS when US and UK tried to block them for their intervention in Crimea back in 2014. But it's global reach is nothing compraed to that of SWIFT. SWIFT is the most prominent cross border interbank payment system and the ban will indeed be a major blow for Russia.

UA domains will be less valuable.
TBH, I haven't seen even a single .ua domain in my entire life.

Last edited:
•••
Russia has a relatively small GDP of around 1.5T, 11th in the world.

As bad as this is for the Russian people financially, the vast majority of which don't seem to support this, I don't think it will do much in the domain world.
There is chance for the people of Russia to try to convert their money to other assets like crypto and maybe to domains to avoid the weakening of their currency. Who knows!

•••
The likes of NameCheap no longer doing business with those registered in Russia, that's something. For the rest outside of Russia / Ukraine, I don't really see it...unless something unexpected comes up. IMO

Last edited:
•••

RIPE NCC Executive Board Resolution on Provision of Critical Services

https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/ripe-list/2022-March/002462.html

Dear members,

At its meeting yesterday, the RIPE NCC Executive Board approved the
following resolution:

The RIPE NCC provides critical services to its membership spread across
a diverse geographical and political region.

The Executive Board of the RIPE NCC believes that the means to
communicate should not be affected by domestic political disputes,
international conflicts or war. This includes the provision of correctly
registered Internet numbering resources.

The Executive Board of the RIPE NCC is committed to taking all lawful
steps available to ensure that the RIPE NCC can provide undisrupted
services to all members across our service region and the global
Internet community.

The RIPE NCC will publicly document all its efforts to ensure that the
registry is not negatively affected by laws, regulations or political
developments.

—-

It is crucial that the RIPE NCC remains neutral and does not take
positions with regard to domestic political disputes, international
conflicts or war.

This guarantees equal treatment for all those responsible for providing
Internet services. This is a fundamental reason why the RIPE NCC has
been able to maintain its operations in the way it has for the past
three decades. It also means that the information and data provided by
the RIPE NCC can be trusted as authoritative and free from bias or
political influence. Failure to adhere to this approach would jeopardise
the very model that has been key to the development of the Internet in
our service region.

The Executive Board also expresses solidarity with those operators who
have the difficult task of maintaining Internet access to assist the
people suffering from the terrible effects of armed conflicts and war.

Kind regards,

Christian Kaufmann
Chairman of the RIPE NCC Executive Board

Last edited:
•••
already impacted.
IMG_20220301_194351.png

Last edited:
•••
Check out Russia’s biggest bank, Sberbank.
down 20% today, after it lost 60% prior day.
It trades OTC in the US.
its Euro operations declared bankruptcy.
I’m afraid for any SBRCY stock holder.
These shares are likely to cease to exist lol.
D8E3B451-779F-4B82-8BA5-B8387C29BE7D.jpeg

Sberbank and VTB banks are Russia’s two largest state-run banks and own roughly half of the assets in the Russian banking system. Got targeted last week by tough sanctions: barred from the SWIFT payment system. Oof.

Imagine stock price down 20-60% everyday.
Glad i’m not a Sberbank stock holder.

Putin’s trying hardest to mitigate the harm.
New law just signed;
Vladimir Putin has signed a decree banning Russians from leaving the country with more than $10,000 (£7,500) in foreign currency as fears grow that the Russian financial system is on the brink of collapse.

Over $10,000 banned starting on Wednesday the Kremlin’s press office said the move is an attempt to "ensure Russia’s financial stability".
(Hat tip: The Telegraph via Yahoo Finance.)

165AB674-A4B3-45CE-B2F0-B65143146A0D.jpeg

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/russian-banking-system-brink-amid-192234135.html

I believe, only Russia is ****ed.
And our wallets after the rising Oil prices,
Over $100 barrel hurts my soul. (last: $106)

Last edited:
•••
Putin’s trying hardest to mitigate the harm.
New law just signed;
Vladimir Putin has signed a decree banning Russians from leaving the country with more than $10,000 (£7,500) in foreign currency as fears grow that the Russian financial system is on the brink of collapse.

Over $10,000 banned starting on Wednesday the Kremlin’s press office said the move is an attempt to "ensure Russia’s financial stability".
(Hat tip: The Telegraph via Yahoo Finance.)

Show attachment 211036
Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered a ban on foreign exchange loans and transfers by Russian residents to outside of Russia from March 1, the Kremlin said on Monday, in retaliation for economic sanctions imposed on Moscow by the West.

Putin also signed into a law an order for exporting companies to sell 80% of their forex revenues received from Jan 1, 2022, on the market.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/putin-bans-forex-transfers-outside-russia-march-1-2022-02-28/

On top of this, propping up the value of the Ruble with reserves, raising interest rates to 20%, etc. are not great moves. These type of moves are like self-sanctions. They only make the economic damage that much worse.

The problem is there is not really a mechanism to roll back these sanctions and not likely the desire to do it.

They don't have a lot of good moves available when so many countries and companies don't even want to deal with them.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
A keystroke could impact everyone.

•••
Top level .UA domains are allowed for TM holders only.
Or the government?
This website is crazy;
Had to share: I saw it cited somewhere
noticed “.UA” ext. Could not resist posting

TBH, I haven't seen even a single .ua domain in my entire life.

Same! Only “UA” i know Under Armor stock.
Lol at near lows, before Russia invaded (!)
(Ticker: UA) Back to the other Ukraine “UA”..

82AAA366-96FA-4CA5-B20D-96C0B3B6E5E8.jpeg

https://war.ukraine.ua/

Last edited:
•••
Today, i would like to point out OGZPY; Gazprom stock; Russia’s biggest state-run gas Co.; Owns Nord Stream(s)
Admittedly, i was going to invest in it.
Thank God, I didn't!

$35.819B market capitalization seems a lot
until i saw: was worth $162.67B 09/30/2021!

Attachments

• 36C4D4E3-21E5-46A7-B3AF-9E167127DFEF.jpeg
    36C4D4E3-21E5-46A7-B3AF-9E167127DFEF.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
•••
Today, i would like to point out OGZPY; Gazprom stock symbol; Russia’s biggest state-run gas Co.; Owns Nord Stream 1+2.
Admittedly, i was going to invest in it.
Thank God, I didn't!
Show attachment 211183

$35.819B market capitalization seems a lot
until i saw: was worth $162.67B 09/30/2021!

Their market is getting crushed. There is a reason they are not opening the Moscow Stock Exchange.

Let's look at (4) of Russia's largest companies -

Gazprom -

10/15/2021 - $121B
2/18/2022 - $97B
Today - $35B

Lukoil -

10/15/2021 - $67B
2/18/2022 - $55B
Today - $23B

Nornickel -

10/15/2021 - $48B
2/18/2022 - $43B
Today - $20B

Sberbank -

10/15/2021 - $112B
2/25/2022 - $69B
Today - $19B

•••
Their market is getting crushed. There is a reason they are not opening the Moscow Stock Exchange.

Gazprom -

10/15/2021 - $121B
2/18/2022 - $97B
Today - $35B

Lukoil -

10/15/2021 - $67B
2/18/2022 - $55B
Today - $23B

Nornickel -

10/15/2021 - $48B
2/18/2022 - $43B
Today - $20B

Sberbank -

10/15/2021 - $112B
2/25/2022 - $69B
Today - $19B
If those figures are right, ouch

•••
If those figures are right, ouch
Right now the largest Russian company (by market cap) is the 510th largest company in the world.

As of March 2022 Gazprom has a market cap of $35.81 Billion. This makes Gazprom the world's 510th most valuable company by market cap according to our data. The market capitalization, commonly called market cap, is the total market value of a publicly traded company's outstanding shares and is commonly used to measure how much a company is worth.

It is much worse if you look at peaks, for instance Sberbank was $180B market cap on 6/20/2021.

Brad

•••
The real threat to domain Indus-try is Facebook, Metaverse and even possible ENS and HNS domains.
I have invest allot in ICANN domains that is why I will not support the usage of the above mentioned, I also deleted my FB account and don't plan to create new one, the Meta dot com i visited only once when it was shared in a topic here, no special attraction to that name poor garbage, there are better 2 word domains out there.
Agree/disagree IMO.

•••
.UA domains will be less valuable.

Russia-Ukraine conflict is not an isolated event. It represents end of the war between good and evil.
When did it start, 10 years ago, and maybe millions of years ago.

edit: Why didn't Russia do it in 2014, ..because at that time the West was run by DS and was very agressive and was trying to start ww3. The current president Trump has good relations with Russia, and was always peaceful, so we won't see big war, unless Ukraine attacks itself to blame Russia... In that case, I suspect Russia would have to use EMP bomb and make all electronics in Ukraine dysfunctional. And recovery would take long time.
I'm so glad I ignore you for ages

Last edited:
•••
•••
yes it makes low interest in domains as an investment. for me.
that's why I liquidate most of them. and now I understand why big guys move to nft industry and cryptocurrency. #decentralized

•••

Gazprom -

10/15/2021 - $121B
2/18/2022 - $97B
Today - $35B

Lukoil -

10/15/2021 - $67B
2/18/2022 - $55B
Today - $23B

Nornickel -

10/15/2021 - $48B
2/18/2022 - $43B
Today - $20B

Sberbank -

10/15/2021 - $112B
2/25/2022 - $69B
Today - $19B
I have never invest in russian stocks never trusted them and tbh I am a bit rusophobic.

•••
Back