IT.COM

.app Do you think .app extension will raise demand?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

isankett

Established Member
Impact
Google now opened for .app domain extension for evreyonel to purchase.
Do you guys think it's only for developers or it could be in demand just like other top extensions?

Please share your views on .app future in domain flipping.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I believe it's pretty obvious, that many of the .app domains acquired these days will be parked.

Demand, value. Those without an app or even without any intentions of building apps, are obviously paying top dollar in pure speculation. Someone will get lucky.

For what use? It really doesn't matter for those who just acquire to sell, or? It's not any different than what else is going on here?

•••
app developers are buying/registering .com/.io domains.

.app makes sense
They can now have Short and relevant domains.

•••
It would be fantastic for web-app's like Discord. There current domainname is rule_violation.com, how cool would it be if they have discord.app.

I think .app will be booming

•••
I think that .app will do very well. Google did all the right things with launch, and they are Google as well. It will never reach the huge numbers of parked domains of loan, top, xyz, etc, but with millions of apps for Android and iOS it will be actually used for far more sites, I think. Certainly the landrush has gone well for Google. I predict it will get in top 10 (barely) of registrations among ngTLDs but in top 2 of actual signed sites in use. I think that there will not be huge bucks to be made in market resells except in generic great names, since most companies will register a name closely associated with their app name.

•••
Was doing some searches on 1 and 2 word domains that I thought would be snapped up immediately but lots are still there. Seems like most people are going down the pre-registration route instead of paying for early access.
I did see though that cryptogame.app is gone. Wonder if the recent buyer of the .com solidified their investment or if someone else sniped it early?

•••

I'm going to pass on this one because unless I'm selling an app it does not make any sense to own one.

I still cannot understand why anyone would buy one based on speculation. Unless you get an absolute premium name you have a million times better odds at selling a .com.

So I am a company called Grain Futures and I make an app telling people the price of grain and the projected price of grain.

Other than the download link.... at GrainFutures.app the main company will still be located at GrainFutures.com

Now if I were to be that company and already own GrainFutures.com I would make the download link a subdomain similar to app.GrainFutures.com or just place it in a folder at GrainFutures.com/app.

Again, I'm not criticizing anyone buying .app extensions but I'm probably gonna pass on this.
My point exactly

•••
I forgot to mention the reason I am considering buying one on early access. My wife is starting a new retail venture (although I seem to have beem stuck with most of the work to begin with).
It is in quite a competitive market where the quality .com etc are all sitting with huge price tags on them. I dont have the capital to invest in the domains as stock purchase, packaging design and early marketing are costing a lot.
What I could do though is get the . App domain, set up a simple related app and have it tied to the storefront.
This will cost less than the price of the .net never mind the .com

•••
I forgot to mention the reason I am considering buying one on early access. My wife is starting a new retail venture (although I seem to have beem stuck with most of the work to begin with).
It is in quite a competitive market where the quality .com etc are all sitting with huge price tags on them. I dont have the capital to invest in the domains as stock purchase, packaging design and early marketing are costing a lot.
What I could do though is get the . App domain, set up a simple related app and have it tied to the storefront.
This will cost less than the price of the .net never mind the .com

This is why .app will be a solid tld. I agree with most of the commentary here that of all the Gtlds this has amongst the most upside in terms of actually having developed sites. What that means for resale value remains to be seen since the use case is companyname.app

•••
No. Sorry, was that to brief...

•••
Don't use 1and1, they are awful.
I use them... 8.5 years already... and sold tens 1and1 domains to endusers, including internal transfer within 1and1.
As of today ~4.5K my domains there.
Instant transfer-out.
The only one significant minus - bulk management is absent completely.

•••
I use them... 8.5 years already... and sold tens 1and1 domains to endusers, including internal transfer within 1and1.
Instant transfer-out.

They are thefts...

Lots of bad reviews here..

They also scammed me with their shitty service..
that’s another storry.

•••
solutions AT 1and1.com
If any issues - they all will be solved by this department.
And never had any scam there, they are under the same holding company which owns Sedo.

Last edited:
•••
Instant transfer-out.

Like.... 4.5k domains... impressive (y)

Unimaginable that you manage them without bulk tools though. I have 955 domains now and for me to go to 1001 will not happen. I must drop or sell before I buy more, that is a deal I made with myself. To manage even 900+ domains without bulk tools is unthinkable to me.

•••
Yes, this is almost nightmare...
Bulk tools are in their roadmap... but when they will be available - nobody knows...
And positive moment that all AUTH codes can be exported directly from 1and1 panel.

Last edited:
•••
since so much of apps raise up in these few years. seem to be future trend with .app domain extd

•••
since so much of apps raise up in these few years. seem to be future trend with .app domain extd
Not necessarily. At least .site is cheaper, don’t see it become a standard of a website.

•••
Instant transfer-out.

I'm really pleased to hear that you've never had any issues with them.

My experience with them is that they have stolen my money twice and they're obnoxious and useless and leave you waiting over their premium phone line that they force you to ring. A faceless company that doesn't believe in quality of service.

If you have a business account, they shaft you left right and centre, locking you in, $300 USD a year renewal fees for domains for no reason, hundreds to transfer out. I remember asking them if I could consolidate some domains into one account and they said it wasnt possible.

Their virtual machines aren't worth the money, I tried to host my site on one once and is was crippled by the tiniest load. They weren't able to help, they said if its "technical" help to do with a website then they cant help... it wasn't, I asked why the machine couldn't even handle 10 people connecting to it at the same time. I had to move to AWS.

I personally wouldn't actively encourage anyone to use 1&1 and their garishly blue services. What kind of registrar can't get their act together and create a bulk edit feature?? It's probably reserved for their "business" accounts where the renewals are $300 a go.

Sigh. Glad to hear you havent had issues. 1&1 can go whistle as far as I'm concerned.

•••
I regged one just for long term holding DIETING.APP
it was just 20 USD so not a big deal

•••
I regged one just for long term holding DIETING.APP
it was just 20 USD so not a big deal
I hate to break it to you, but I don't think you have dieting.app. It's minimum $100 USD + to register .APP domains in the current phase, so it's not possible to have got it for 20 USD. :xf.frown:

•••
I hate to break it to you, but I don't think you have dieting.app. It's minimum $100 USD + to register .APP domains in the current phase, so it's not possible to have got it for 20 USD. :xf.frown:
Can i send you invoice?many names are in less price there thats what i am saying many names in .app are in less price

•••
check datings.app its in 17-20 usd you can buy it so some names in .app are in 17-22 usd

•••
Can i send you invoice?many names are in less price there thats what i am saying many names in .app are in less price
No need really, but the current phase dictates that any .APP domain purchased at the current phase (Early access period) cost at least $100 USD.

You said in the other thread that you have dieting.app (https://www.namepros.com/threads/app-registration.1079463/page-4#post-6704227) and then a few hours later two people reported that dieting.app was available to register (https://www.namepros.com/threads/app-registration.1079463/page-5#post-6704365). It's no longer available to register.

Dieting.com is registered at Name.com to someone in Spain (ES). Is that you?

Datings.app

This is Uniregistry... $129.88 if I want to register it today, right now.

upload_2018-5-7_9-58-36.png

If you wanted datings.app at Godaddy, it would be £128 ($170 USD approx) if you want it today, or £12.49 ($17 USD approx) if you want to pre register it for 8th May.

upload_2018-5-7_10-0-1.png

Last edited:
•••
No need really, but the current phase dictates that any .APP domain purchased at the current phase (Early access period) cost at least $100 USD.

You said in the other thread that you have dieting.app (https://www.namepros.com/threads/app-registration.1079463/page-4#post-6704227) and then a few hours later two people reported that dieting.app was available to register (https://www.namepros.com/threads/app-registration.1079463/page-5#post-6704365). It's no longer available to register.

Dieting.com is registered at Name.com to someone in Spain (ES). Is that you?

Datings.app

This is Uniregistry... $129.88 if I want to register it today, right now.

Show attachment 87054

If you wanted datings.app at Godaddy, it would be £128 ($170 USD approx) if you want it today, or £12.49 ($17 USD approx) if you want to pre register it for 8th May.

Show attachment 87055
i registered as pre registration so its not that?i bought it through GD

•••
i didnt go for priority i did normal preregistration

•••
i registered as pre registration so its not that?i bought it through GD

Yeah man, I'm sorry but Dieting.app has already been taken, it's registered at Name.com through the EAP (Early Access Program) . Sorry bro :grumpy::grumpy:. Posting such a great name on that other thread probably prompted someone to register it through EAP if it has only a $20 renewal cost. If I had checked it after you posted it, I would have regged it lol.

You need to look for names that you can get right now at the EAP price, like the price quoted on Uniregistry.com when you search for a .app.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back