IT.COM

poll Do you buy domain names at Flippa?

NameSilo
Watch

Do you acquire domain names from Flippa.com?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    14.7%
  • No

votes
    82.4%
  • I didn't know they sold domains only

votes
    2.9%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Robbie

RobbiesBlog.comTop Member
Impact
I am interested to know, how many domain name investors are buying / hunting for domain names over at Flippa?

After reading a few threads on NamePros, I was considering highlighting some names for sale at Flippa, but is this somewhere that you are buying domain names?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I bought an $1 name in auction.

•••
I heard flippa is not cool.
Also I cant remember my login info, and doubt I ever will, so answer is no

•••
It's not Flippa that is not cool, but seller changing mind. This can happen in Dan, Sedo and Afternic as well.

•••
*No 9 votes 81.8%

Thanks for starting the thread Robbie

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
They started to ask for personal documents. Then I have stopped even visiting their website.

In the past, yes I used to buy domains and websites from there.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Don't waste money. I lost a lot early. *DON'T USE FLIPPA* ----> rb.gy/2xwty8

Last edited:
•••
flippa posts on np are almost no more...which says it all

it's a dead end for most ...

•••
Well they did ban the guy, so maybe they are getting better

•••
Dang @Robbie..ain’t you from Epik? ..wassup with this post ? What kind of opinions did you expect to receive ?

•••
Once was a time 4/5 years ago that Flippa was the go to marketplace for domainers (as I remember it). They only dealt in domain names then. I bought and sold a few names there in auctions when I first started domaining without any issues. Then they got too popular and over saturated with rubbish and over the top reserves. There was also a lot of suspicion of favouritism around the "super sellers" getting editors choice and extra promotion on poor names. I think they then fell out of favour with domainers and expanded into selling websites and businesses with dubious earning figures. I believe they were sold at one point(?) and their best asset Kevin left meaning customer support was almost non existent. From there its become a shadow of its former self as far as domains are concerned.

Having said all that I bought a name there about 3 weeks ago for the first time in years so I had to answer yes.

•••
•••
Not in long time got sick of people not accepting their own bin. With sites I have had problems with sites with security always set up dodgy.

Last edited:
•••
Bought two great LLL.coms on flippa back in 2013 and 2017. Just listed a two word domain on there last week to see if it is alive.

Funny enough the one from 2017 is no longer in my history - may have to do something with the person behind that sold it to me. Will be interesting if my sale works out - actually got one bid so far, then again its at about 10% of domain value (yes there is a reserve...)

•••
yea, id have to say because of the renigging on the sellers part at that site, not the site itself, that deters me. ty. :)

•••
It is a TOTAL waste of time. Most of the domains on the site were listed YEARS ago and the ownership has since changed hands. I have inquiries out on 100+ domains and have heard back on ZERO.

•••
Last time I looked it was $10 in advance to list a name plus 10% of the proceeds once sold. For that, I didn't see too many sales. Oh so many bidders looking for a cheap way in, $10 was a huge bid for many.

For the buyer, sellers are now allowed to put a minimum bid price in far too late in the game for that to be equitable.

Seems the site has lost its mojo. Does it have a future?

•••
Does it have a future?

I don't think it has a future.

When you buy a business you are expected to make the things better. Interestingly what I have observed since the last 10 years is that many new owners have made good online services worse. I don't remember any popular website that has improved after sold. This is weird. Isn't it?

Some examples I remember now and may add more if I remember later:
sitepoint > flippa
Probably many newbies don't know. Flippa was formerly sitepoint. I was actively buying-selling websites there. Sitepoint had a good, popular marketplace in 2000's. Then they announced they were sold. The new owners moved the sitepoint marketplace to a new domain, flippa.

escrow.com
I used escrow.com in domain and website transactions. it was a good service in the past before it changed hands. The new owners started to ask for personal documents like flippa. Now most people stay away from esrow.com. When my buyer refuses to give his personal documents to escrow.com I understand him as I too would never give my documents to an online website unless they are clearly a financial institution. Flippa and escrow are not providing financial services in my opinion as they don't give loan, collect deposits, give ATM/credit cards, provide investment services etc. They only show themselves as if they are required by law. I don't believe that argument.

afternic > gd
it was better before sold to gd.

•••
•••
I stopped using Flippa when they rebranded their whole site and change the whole format (about 3 years ago?). They changed everyones username to their real name and tried to turn it into some kind of buying and selling of businesses type platform, rather than just domains and website.

It's become too bloated and complex, and the fees see too high as well.

I rarely go on there anymore, if at all.

•••
I tried to, but I see a domain listed for $100 and I can't buy it. It's listed for $100 and the only buttons are 'contact seller' and 'make offer'. So is it $100 or not? Too confusing. Waste of time, as others said.

•••
Back