Dynadot

poll Do you become more cynical the longer you are involved with domaining?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you become more cynical the longer you are involved with domaining?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

NickB

it's a mysteryTop Member
Impact
Genuine question.......

Industry Specific, not a general life question!!!! (Though that would be interesting)

Any thoughts? Please let us know........

Public Vote :xf.smile:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I answered YES- I have noticed a change in my perception as to what is a good investment and what is bad - not necessary what is true though, just a general changing of my thought process. I now take more notice of people who have built a reputation over a number of years over people who talk a good talk, but have failed to provide proof as to why we should listen/read to what they have to say......Proof, Facts and Logic have overtaken Enthusiasm..........

Does this make me Cynical? Or just Arrogant? Or Blinkered In my Approach?

•••
No doubt domaining has a cynical component. Take a look at some of the "veterans" attitude and behavior and it's hard to argue otherwise. However, I feel it continues to get better. I am optimistic, while still acknowledging that the cynical component will probably always exist, in some form, in this "industry."

You can only drain the swamp so much. It never really turns into a desert.

Last edited:
•••
I believe cynics exist in every industry. I'd imagine ones cynicism will dwindle as one gains experience that enables them to make better choices and prudent decisions. Unless, of course, you haven't learned much as a 'veteran'. Dare I say that not all veterans acquire skill. Most of them only amass tenure, which often doesn't count for much.

•••
Yes, don't invest in social network domain names that never materialize.

Lots of cbd and canna sellers want names that don't scream cbd and canna.

There is a need for a really professional domain market place.

Namepros is a great forum.

•••
Yes, I am guilty lol. but hopefully from experience as opposed to getting old.

I am phobic towards any new extensions that are added, i pay some small attention to country code extensions, but .Global and the likes, I am phobic to them.

•••
You need some healthy cynicism in this business. How else will you determine which names to chase and which not? Anyone who fares well in this has to have a good critical eye.

•••
I answered other - I became more picky. I think its the personality you have that goes with what you are going thru that makes it another description.

•••
Cynicism develops, but like @karmaco said, it is healthy to have some.

A new domainer is full of excitement, anticipation, and blind optimism -- captivated with dreams of quick and easy profits. Portfolio quality is low, because they buy or register name any domain that sounds "good enough." They buy names with weird phrasings, obscure TLDs with higher renewal fees, or highly niche markets.

Disillusionment and cynicism occurs when they realize most domains don't sell themselves as easily as anticipated. They become more selective with registrations and purchases. Over time the worst names get dropped and portfolio quality increases.

If renewal fees become a struggle, then of course cynicism will continue to increase, but successful long-time domainers can indeed remain hopeful and optimistic. I am proof of that! :)

•••
Overall yes, I would believe that the longer one is involved with the buying and selling of domain names the more likely a dose to a gallon of cynicism sets in.

Over time you have honed your domain craft, you paid a healthy tuition of poorly purchased and way too many renewals on the ill bought names to gain your domain education.

And now you have a finely tuned reasonable portfolio of names, and offers never arrive or counter - offers are lingering forever in the cyber Bermuda triangle.

Names are " sold " via BIN but where are the payments?

Must be keeping the counter - offers company in the cyber Bermuda triangle.

Spam and unwanted phone calls multiple in a conspiracy to make your domain life hectic.

So yes, one can become somewhat cynical as there are many outside unforeseen forces that sap at one's eternal optimism.

•••
Just started this thread a few minutes ago:

The .org Heist!

So I guess I am becoming a little cynical, but at the same time I am trying to stay logical. ;)

•••
I've said, No
It's really just a case of becoming better informed and aware (not forgetting educated) over time.
I think the cynicism mostly comes from those who self beliefs in regards to domains has not been realized.

The only time I'm a real Cynic - is when it comes to myself. I'm going to start a little thread about a sale I made last week for a .co.uk. It's about missing a potential much bigger sale due to a little lack of attention. (I'll put it together tomorrow)

Last edited:
•••
Love a good dose of cynicism, gets better with age. Helps temper your expectations too, especially with domaining. I think one can be cynical in a positive manner as well, doesn't have to be a downer at all.

•••
Just started this thread a few minutes ago:

The .org Heist!

So I guess I am becoming a little cynical, but at the same time I am trying to stay logical. ;)

I see you learned from Rob how to highjack a thread.

am I cynical?
no idea ...
I actually do not know what "cynical "actually is,
exactly, I mean.

•••

am I cynical?
no idea ...
exactly, I mean.

Frank it seems like you have some ulterior motives to go after people because of your political, religious ( or lack thereof) , or racial agendas.

You look for every opportunity to target people whether it's called for or not, which in my case I don't believe that it's called for.

IMO

•••

am I cynical?
no idea ...
exactly, I mean.

Frank it seems like you have some ulterior motives to go after people because of your political, religious ( or lack thereof) , or racial agendas.

You look for every opportunity to target people whether it's called for or not, which in my case I don't believe that it's called for.

IMO

Maaan, ffske I was just enjoying reading this nice thread...if you guys don't mind, please Dm each other/set up a date or even book a room and have debates about "Rob"...with all due respect, let's keep this thread clean and on topic for once.

Regards
😊

•••
Maaan, ffske I was just enjoying reading this nice thread...if you guys don't mind, please Dm each other/set up a date or even book a room and have debates about "Rob"...with all due respect, let's keep this thread clean and on topic for once.

Regards
😊

looks like domaining made me a cynic
or was it life as such?

now I found a source of light:

"
Cynicism is an attitude characterized by a general distrust of others' motives.[1] A cynic may have a general lack of faith or hope in the human species or people motivated by ambition, desire, greed, gratification, materialism, goals, and opinions that a cynic perceives as vain, unobtainable, or ultimately meaningless and therefore deserving of ridicule or admonishment.

The term originally derives from the ancient Greek philosophers, the Cynics, who rejected all conventions, whether of religion, manners, housing, dress, or decency, instead advocating the pursuit of virtue in accordance with a simple and idealistic way of life.
"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynicism_(contemporary)

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the definition and history of the term, @frank-germany.(y) I actually did not know the history of the word, and also, if Wikipedia is accurate, my assumed definition was more restricted than the official one it seems.

It makes it even more difficult for me to vote, however. If I see the definition as the following, then I feel that I am definitely not a cynic. I genuinely believe that most people are good and do the right thing, and I am optimistic that even when things are bad, that they can be made better. So no cynic here.
A cynic may have a general lack of faith or hope in the human species

But, when I read the next phrase, then it is less clear how I should vote. I believe it is always wise to use critical thinking (in the academic sense of checking carefully, not in the sense of being negative about everything) when we look at things in domains and elsewhere in business and beyond.

But overall I don't feel a cynic. I feel that unnaturally repeated negative attitudes, do far more harm than any possible positive outcomes.

Have a nice day, everyone. :xf.smile:

Bob

•••
The world is cynical, but domaining is where you might actually have your dream come true.

•••
Thanks for the definition and history of the term, @frank-germany.(y) I actually did not know the history of the word, and also, if Wikipedia is accurate, my assumed definition was more restricted than the official one it seems.

It makes it even more difficult for me to vote, however. If I see the definition as the following, then I feel that I am definitely not a cynic. I genuinely believe that most people are good and do the right thing, and I am optimistic that even when things are bad, that they can be made better. So no cynic here.

But, when I read the next phrase, then it is less clear how I should vote. I believe it is always wise to use critical thinking (in the academic sense of checking carefully, not in the sense of being negative about everything) when we look at things in domains and elsewhere in business and beyond.

But overall I don't feel a cynic. I feel that unnaturally repeated negative attitudes, do far more harm than any possible positive outcomes.

Have a nice day, everyone. :xf.smile:

Bob

Bob you are too nice to be cynical,

but then there might be some situations that we have to be a little cynical like the example of .org that I had rightfully used here earlier.

The important thing is not to be cynical all the times.

IMO

•••
You need some healthy cynicism in this business. How else will you determine which names to chase and which not? Anyone who fares well in this has to have a good critical eye.

You seem to be using the words 'cynic' and 'critic' interchangeably. They both project vastly disparate states of mind. Ideally, skill (not tenure) acquired from good experience should render one a more critical thinker. Skill should make you more confident. Well-founded confidence in ones expertise is in diametric opposition with cynicism...paradoxically speaking. If you're doing well in the industry, why would you be distrustful of the very vehicle responsible for your success? :xf.smile:

•••
It's enough to be logical. I think that it's much better to act professionally, rather than being cynical.

•••
A new domainer is full of excitement, anticipation, and blind optimism -- captivated with dreams of quick and easy profits

Hi
that is true as an observation,

and those "veterans" who know domaining isn't like that, will try to enlighten them of the pitfalls.
yet they get labeled as being cynical..... for attempting to share their knowledge to the new bee.

Disillusionment and cynicism occurs when they realize most domains don't sell themselves as easily as anticipated.

this is the point where the newbie crosses over and starts to see the dark side of the force.

:)

imo...

•••
how to highjack a thread.
Frank did you even go to his post in starting that thread? @oldtimer was not in any way hijacking this thread, but pointing out as evidence that the sort of thing that makes even normally optimistic people cynical is when there are questionable changes in the industry, the proposed move of the .org registry to private equity.

I think his post here was 100% on topic. When there is lack of transparency and due process, that can make people cynical. Does that happen more as we know the industry better? Possibly.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Frank did you even go to his post in starting that thread? @oldtimer was not in any way hijacking this thread, but pointing out as evidence that the sort of thing that makes even normally optimistic people cynical is when there are questionable changes in the industry, the proposed move of the .org registry to private equity.

I think his post here was 100% on topic. When there is lack of transparency and due process, that can make people cynical. Does that happen more as we know the industry better? Possibly.

Bob

I have learned
that somehow it's fine most here

•••
Back