Dynadot

Do not use Dreamhost as your hosting

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hey i would like to tell you experience with dreamhost, i register to their hosting 3 years ago and at first i was really happy with them their support was really good they also had chat support which saved me some time and everything was ok.
But lately it started few month ago thing got a lot worse, Let is start with the fact that i don't have a chat support anymore when i asked why i was told that my account don't support chat support and you need to pay more to get that (In the past i had that online chat support so i don't know what changed). I pay for their hosting about $120 per year which is very expensive compare to the other hosting providers but that is not enough for them to give me online chat support.
Few month ago their hosting where hacked i don't really know what happened and what info the hacker took from there but surly a hosting that gets hacked is not a good thing. To fix the problem they changed all the user passwords and the mysql password which made thing really hard.
Now for the reason i left is a new thing that dreamhost decided to do is to block output emails if the email don't come out with there server name.
That means that if the email that the script sent from won't be like this [email protected] their host would block the email in most cases but not always (I don't know another hosting that block emails like that).
My script send me email with the order info from the email that the sender filled out in the forum which make it easier for me to replay to him if needed, some the emails where sent to me but looking but some didn't sent and got blocked by dream host.
As the result of that i lost a lot of money and client those 2 month, i pay good money to advertise myself and those 2 months i didn't got much clients because dream host blocked most of the emails, if they would block all of them i would understand that something is wrong but the blocked only some of them.
Those 2 month i lost a lot of money on advertise and a lot of clients just because of dreamhost, i have to say their customer support is not good those days as well.
Today i will lose about 2 more month of payment to their hosting because yesterday i moved to hostgator which is so far much better then dreamhost and i do get the online chat i used to get in dreamhost.

I know it is a bit long and i am sorry for that dreamhost in the past was great hosting but today something bad happening there, so i would recommend you guys not to use that host anymore so you won't end up losing clients and money like i did.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Regarding the hacked part, was it only your account that was hacked or the entire server?

•••
It was the entire server as far as i know, my account wasn't hacked but they changed the passwords of all the accounts in there.

•••
•••
I pay for their hosting about $120 per year which is very expensive compare to the other hosting providers

Yes, that is quite high considering average pricing in the industry these days. :|

What did your plan include for that high of a rate?

•••
Yes, it was a massive attack that affected alot of people. They implemented a system wide password reset to be safe.

I think they blamed their users for having outdated scripts which was a lame excuse in my opinion.

Yes, they are on the pricier end when compared to others.

Another important thing to know is that they have a custom control panel. Some people like it and think its supposed to be more secure, but many people prefer cpanel these days because it is so common.

That email issue you mention definitely seems like a dumb move - It makes things look unprofessional if you have to send out emails from addresses that end with dreamhost.com

•••
I'm not the one to defend oversellers that mislead website owners by claiming they sell "Unlimited", but any server could be hacked. Which is not an excuse for the web hosting provider for sure. Can I ask you why did you go with a provider which has falsely advertised its shared hosting services by claiming it would provide something it couldn't?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back