IT.COM

advice Do not rush to agree to a domain sale

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
As a long-term holder of domain assets I’m not in a particular rush to sell my domains to the first offer that arrives.
Offers come and go, and for the most part domains appreciate in value with time. Even when a reasonable offer is made, it should be the right offer for a particular domain in order to motivate me to commit to a sale.
Domain assets are no different than other premium assets, such as works of art. But that’s fodder for another story I’ll share at some point....
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Tended to find that the wait approach leaves you holding the baby as most names will get very few offers if any.
I usually make a sale and move on to the next one having no regrets as the price will have been one I was happy to accept.
Still have a few from when I did use the wait and see approach, years ago and they are minor regrets.

•••
As a long-term holder of domain assets I’m not in a particular rush to sell my domains to the first offer that arrives. Offers come and go, and for the most part domains appreciate in value with time. Even when a reasonable offer is made, it should be the right offer for a particular domain.

•••
the reason I started a series of "politely rejected" low-ball offers on Facebook ;)

•••
It depends on the name and the niche. If there's always going to be strong demand in a high value niche, by all means play the waiting game as it's a matter of when and not if you sell. If it's a brandable, you might only ever get one offer and if the price isn't right you'll lose out on making a sale. When I say brandable I mean purely invented word combos.

As far as price it based on what you paid for it, I agree and disagree with this logic. If it's future tech that looks like a very good bet and you're already receiving interest when the market is in it's early stages, hold and be patient.

But if it's a low-mid value niche, where end users marketing budgets are generally going to be limited and domain value will remain stagnant or may even decline, let it go and move on.

Some niches are much tougher sells, because the vast majority of end users in it simply don't understand the value of a good domain. I'm quickly learning which niches to avoid and what to focus on.

I don't want to deal with end users who expect to acquire a domain for $10 and the best way of doing this is to focus on niches where strong domains are highly sought and valued.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back