Dynadot

Do expired domains retain their authority?

NameSilo
Watch

TheFreedomChaser

Established Member
Impact
This might be more of an SEO question, but do expired domains (that is, domains that are listed on expireddomains.net that have been dropped in the past 3-5 days) retain their authority? I've found a couple of domains with reasonable authority in specific niches - they were old blogs & content sites, that I think I could probably rebuild and monetise if the authority is actually retained.

On a separate note - I can see the old content on these websites when viewing them via Wayback Machine. Thoughts on repurposing some of this content (not the design etc, just some of the wordy pieces) so that Google continues to rank these pages?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Domain Authority is about links those refering a domain. For example, a blog making a review of Godaddy Service with mentioning Godaddy.com with clickable link to Godaddy page, where the product is exist. Source of Links those refering the domain Godaddy.com will be valued by metrics. Of course refered by CNN, Wikipedia, or public figure like Preident Joe Biden, King Charles of England, are more valuable from mentioning by an affiliate marketers. Refered by uS President to buy domains in Godaddy.com for example, will make the domain Godaddy.com valuable.

If the domain dropped, as long as the referencing links are still exist, the domain will still maintains the SEO Benefit. For example, if Biden is refering you to buy domains in Godaddy.com from official presidential site, if Godaddy.com is expired and changed hand, the new owner will still get the benefit from refered by US President official site. That's more powerful from refered by ordinary person like me or you. But this only example. That's how Domain Authority works.

Last edited:
•••
Expireddomains.net has gone downhill over the last six months. You can't even find half decent drops Having said that, I don't know how iit is possible for a new domainer to build a portfolio. Seems impossible if he does drops.
And handregs are a guaranteed death sentence for a newbie.

Last edited:
•••
If the domain was developed prior to dropping, without long time being dead OR spammed to death by others, then yes you can benefit from the authority.

If there was a long gap being dead = useless.

If pages are no longer in index ( deindexed ) = useless.

If it was spammed to death with xxx or whatever content (Japanese content being very common for some reason ) = useless.

Basically anything that tells Google this site went dead or changed owner or changed purpose or unmaintained will reset the value of inbound links.

Furthermore, in order to retain that authority you have first to restore a site that is very much similar to the original one. Then you can adjust gradually towards what you need.

If you want to build something entirely different, you're going to go through a reset anyway. Better use a fresh domain in that case.

For extremely high authority domains, those are a different story, might still work even if there was some downtime. But these are very expensive. Tens of thousands $ or even more.

•••
Expireddomains.net has gone downhill over the last six months. You can't even find half decent drops Having said that, I don't know how iit is possible for a new domainer to build a portfolio. Seems impossible if he does drops.
And handregs are a guaranteed death sentence for a newbie.
Sounds pretty dire for us newbies then! :xf.rolleyes:

•••
It's not ExpiredDomains that got downhill. It's the drop competition that has increased a lot.

Most good names are snapped by DC, SN and other registrars, and then they end up in auction.

I don't think newbies have good chances with drops anymore. Either hand regs (risky as hell) OR (better) spend more $ to buy decent names in some auctions.

Edit: NP can be a great source for getting names for cheap, lately I'm selling everything I clear here. There are certain good names here if you have the eye.

Last edited:
•••
Most good names are snapped by DC, SN and other registrars, and then they end up in auction.

Tons of garbage sold as gold there, too.

Last edited:
•••
•••
@TheFreedomChaser
you can test spamzilla.io it works well sadly it's a monthly cost option, i also use expireddomains.net but as the others have already pointed out. its difficult to find something valuable, but still there is, you just need more time to do the fishing.
hope it helps

•••
Back