IT.COM

strategy Do End Users Want Anything Other Than The .COM?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Willox Perez

MemberEstablished Member
Impact
Do-End-Users-Want-Anything-Other-Than-The-.com_.jpg

We’ve spoken a lot about outbound marketing in the past as well as tactics to find the right contact to reach out to in order to get better results. But we never fully dove into how outbound marketing works on other alternative extensions besides .com.

In the case of a .com domain name, I will reach out to all sites that have a longer version of the name I am selling and also the alternative extensions.

The thing you have to understand is when you are trying to sell anything other than a .com, you are already fighting an uphill battle.

Read More

@Omar Negron

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It looks more like Will + 2 :)

I would make some broad estimate (with only experience but without any facts) that established businesses almost 100% of the time want only the .com. There are probably a few tech and social startups which might want a trendy new gTLD. I would say there is nobody looking for any old gTLD, except maybe the odd .org. And the new GTLD's are still limited mostly by their newness and pricing policies. My recommendation: Stick with .com for 98% of your portfolio.

•••
Many businesses and their customers may not even know that much if anything about gtlds and or how to recognise a gtld when it appears without the www's and it will take sometime before the majority of people are familiar with gtlds and may business won't want to take the chance of losing potential new customers all because new customers are trying to find a businesses website address and its staring at them but they don't recognise it so long term although keyword. Coms are more expensive for a business to acquire they should generate more business by using a. Com domain

I'd have thought

But what do I know lol

•••
•••
definetely
they more or less want the .de

:) I specifically did not mention the ccTLDs. there will always be a market for them from within and without the country of origin. The depth of demand from outside the country depends on many things. But mostly It's mostly language and country driven. US is still in the crapper though.

•••
definetely
they more or less want the .de
The "more" of it being: assuming they are German or target customers in Germany.
...US is still in the crapper though.
US based end users want .COM's only and those outside the US who might be interested, are not allowed to register .US names. Not that this limitation is hard to go around, but sure doesn't help to popularize .US.

Last edited:
•••
85% of what I do is .ca because I am in Canada

In fact regional domains are huge in most countries... Canada, UK, Germany, Mexico etc

I think the .US extension is under utilized and I will be expanding there soon.
The .com will always be king in the states but in Canada the .ca is absolutely huge.

•••
and those outside the US who might be interested, are not allowed to register .US names

poor .us

all you need is a parking account at vodoo
in order to comply

•••
•••
•••
•••
There are lots of services to get .us domains.

There is always a risk though.... I once wanted a .ca which was somehow registered by a us company. They did not meet the Canadian entity or trademark requirements for a .ca and I managed to get it away from them.

They were using it as a california .ca extension

I had a legitimate canadian use for it.

Hence my hesitation with .us

I think the potential is great for that extension, but it would have to be a rock solid ownership deal for me to get involved.

•••

http://www.tucowsdomains.com/domain...ial-requirements-for-registering-a-us-domain/

Nexus Category 3

If foreign entity, Applicant must state country of citizenship.

Check from category list, basis for compliance with Nexus requirement

– regularly sells goods in the United States;

regularly provides services in the United States;

regularly engages in business activities, trade or other business

(commercial or non-commercial including not-for-profit) relations in the United States;

--
you are welcome

•••
HeHe, so if I am a domainer selling .us domains to the states then I technically qualify :xf.wink::xf.wink::xf.wink:

•••
I like .US. But it is an underrated extension. IMHO. But it' been underrated now for, what is it, 15 years already, and I don't see any winds of change, that it would change for the next 15 years :(

•••
It looks more like Will + 2 :)

I would make some broad estimate (with only experience but without any facts) that established businesses almost 100% of the time want only the .com. There are probably a few tech and social startups which might want a trendy new gTLD. I would say there is nobody looking for any old gTLD, except maybe the odd .org. And the new GTLD's are still limited mostly by their newness and pricing policies. My recommendation: Stick with .com for 98% of your portfolio.

I couldn't agree more!

•••
.Com Domain Names: A Smart Investment for Funded Startups

David Teten, a partner at ff Venture Capital and former founder and CEO of GoldNames, an Israel-based investment bank focusing on the internet domain name asset class, noted that domain names are crucial for companies looking to receive funding and rise to the top of their space. And the numbers show that .com remains the domain of choice for funded startups. Check out the stats from these recent studies:

- In 2015, data from CB Insights showed that among the 25,000 tech companies funded since 2010, more than 20,000 companies chose .com domain names.

- DNGeek.com analyzed 2,195 newly funded startups that raised a combined $10 billion in funding in the first two quarters of 2016, and reported that .com was used by 73.7 percent of those startups.

- By referencing the 2016 Forbes Midas List, as well as Finsmes (which tallies up the most represented VC firms on the list), Verisign found that 100 percent of the top 10 most represented VC firms on the list, and over 90 percent of their portfolio companies, have a .com.

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20161004_why_com_is_the_venture_capital_communitys_power_player/

Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••
85% of what I do is .ca because I am in Canada

In fact regional domains are huge in most countries... Canada, UK, Germany, Mexico etc

I think the .US extension is under utilized and I will be expanding there soon.
The .com will always be king in the states but in Canada the .ca is absolutely huge.

you have the advantage of bing in canada..

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back