IT.COM

Do bad extensions kill the domain? (specifically .biz)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

staringatascreen

Established Member
Impact
I've been reading so many mixed views on this. I have a prospective (two word) domain with 60,500 exact matches and a "high" competition description (according to Google), but the extension is .biz

The two words would be for a business, so that could work well, but .biz sales are pretty abysmal, so that lends credence to the stay away approach. Also (search term)biz.com is available, so would getting both of them be wiser? What's the SEO benefit of .com? Is there one?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You can judge by yourself looking at namebio

There are quite a few domains that have been sold with different extensions at about the same year. Typically, the price of a non .com domain is 2x to 10x less that the .com (even for good extensions like .net or .de)

Some examples you can check:

rapunzel.com
mercari.com
import.com
fbet.com
izy.com
lgbtq.com
nkb.com
nona.com
nup.com
moviequotes.com
digitalpr.com
exercisebike.com
specialoffer.com
sxy.com

and examples of .biz

huge.biz
copy.biz
telephone.biz
lifeinsuranceplans.biz
flora.biz
healthcarepayments.biz
topsubmit.biz
designers.biz
zeal.biz
70.biz

Regarding seo, G claims it makes no difference between ranking a .com and .biz. However, the visitor's trust is lower for .biz domains and it probably affects their behavior and hence the ranking.

•••
I would first grab the .biz, its just single digits investment for .biz registration. Then inquire to buy cnobiu. With the "b" completed.

Cnobiu = com/net/org/biz/info/us

•••
You can judge by yourself looking at namebio

There are quite a few domains that have been sold with different extensions at about the same year. Typically, the price of a non .com domain is 2x to 10x less that the .com (even for good extensions like .net or .de)

Some examples you can check:

rapunzel.com
mercari.com
import.com
fbet.com
izy.com
lgbtq.com
nkb.com
nona.com
nup.com
moviequotes.com
digitalpr.com
exercisebike.com
specialoffer.com
sxy.com

and examples of .biz

huge.biz
copy.biz
telephone.biz
lifeinsuranceplans.biz
flora.biz
healthcarepayments.biz
topsubmit.biz
designers.biz
zeal.biz
70.biz

Regarding SEO, G claims it makes no difference between ranking a .com and .biz. However, the visitor's trust is lower for .biz domains and it probably affects their behavior and hence the ranking.

I agree with this advice. NameBio.com is such a powerful tool to know what recent sales are there for any domain extension. If you notice the .Biz domains are mostly 1 word domains so a 2 word one lowers your chances of selling it.

Besides SEO you have to think of the brandability of it which no other domain extension can compare to .Coms.

- Will

•••
Check sales and compare data. If it doesn't feel right avoid it. Make note of it and set it aside. You can always come back and see what happened and learn from it.

•••
The answer depends on your intentions too.
Do you want to develop a site, but you don't want to pay more than regfee ? Then you can buy a poor domain in a poor extension, as long as it's not for a major business venture.

Do you want to buy for resale ? Then you must be very very picky.
You should stay away from .biz unless you can get truly stellar keywords for a song.

When a domain name is still available there is a reason. Nobody would even pay $10 for it.

•••
I've been checking namebio and dnsales daily and yes, I agree, .biz is not ideal. There are no more good extensions in this keyword. As I said, 60,500 exact searches with a high ad competition seems great to me. Are these numbers not worth it?

Also while it's two words, it's one thing. So how "seat cushion" is two words, but one thing. And it's a not only a thing in the business industry, it's got a whole sector where it's the cornerstone of a large industry.

I'm not trying to shun all of this advice, I'm simply trying to understand. Is there an SEO disadvantage, or does .biz just look stupid? It's a good keyword and again, anyone who would want this domain would very likely be running a business selling these things.

And all the other extensions com/net/org/info/us and every other is taken. The .com is on sale for $88,000. Not saying this will be anywhere near that, but please help me understand why the resale value isn't at least in the $xxx.

•••
Keep in mind that today emd is not a big significant advantage for seo.

You might also take your exit strategy.in consideration:

It may be a profitable strategy to buy a .biz domain, develop it and sell not the domain but the set domain+website to an industry member who wants to continue develop the site. Typically, you will sell your site for ~12 months of profit. On the contrary, buying a .biz and expect to sell the domain with profit is probably not a good idea.

•••
Personally I think the only way forward with these sort of extensions is a domain hack. Apart from this they seem to hold little value. Sometimes if the words 'connect and match' on both sides of the dot they might have some value but I would try and stick with com.

Best,
Paul

•••
Its not just .biz there are now so many random domain extensions available now e.g. .ninja.
I personally would not purchase these domain extensions as the general public only know of geographical, .com, .org and .net.

•••
If you are a developer, you can choose a reg fee domain in a TLD other than .COM and not worry about resale value as you are not trying to sell the domain. However, on a domainer's forum development skills are quite often lacking. Note as well launching a website does not mean you will make enough money to justify the effort / cost.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back