Dynadot

question Do any domainers create their own names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bold Beluga

Established Member
Impact
Hi .. brand new to namePros, and brand new 'domainer'. I use the term loosely. I have been creating my own domain names for years, the old fashioned way. I have created them for my own online businesses and sold the businesses and names as I go, over the years. My question is: Do all professional domainers only buy domain names that someone else has created or do any of them create their own names? I have created about 400 domain names that have never been registered, are dotcoms, short, keyworded, and brandable. Is it worth trying to sell newly created domains with no history? For me I love the creation more than buying someone else's creations.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you mean hand register yes it is very common. Welcome to NamePros @Bold Beluga

•••
•••
Yeah, could you please name some of the 400. You sound inspiring!

•••
Hey @Bold Beluga, welcome to NP! If you know what you're doing you can still earn money with handregistered domains.

•••
•••
If you mean hand register yes it is very common. Welcome to NamePros @Bold Beluga
What do you mean by hand register? What I mean is that I have been studying the science of naming - using languages, metaphors, word play, thesaurus, alliteration, etc. to create my own names. Sometimes I do a search and the names are already owned by someone else and for sale, and sometimes I see that these names are brand new and have never existed. Is there a place in domaining for these names? Surely we can't assume every domain name has already been thought of can we?
Thank you for your reply :xf.smile:

•••
Hello @Bold Beluga, welcome to NamePros. Just do what you like best.
Ok that is great to hear. Me too ... I love the creation. Do you find that the names you create are less sellable than names you buy that someone else has created?

•••
What's your fav ?
Currently I love my copywriting name BoldBeluga.com (haven't created a website for it yet). A beluga is white. White is simple and minimal, much like my copywriting (no clutter). And Bold, because the copy is engaging and gets noticed. So that is my current fave. Not to resell, but to enjoy.

•••
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I just read a tweet/blog by Andrew Rosener who said 'hand registering domains is a fool's game.' Surely all the good names in the world can't possibly already be created? Tesla was a hand register at some stage right?! All names at one time were hand registered. Perhaps what Andrew means is that newbies get excited, have no experience, and buy up 100+ hand registered names, and then none of them sell because they have no experience. That I can understand. What do you think of Andrew's comment? Is hand registering a fool's game?

•••
What's your fav ?
My current fave and only the 2nd domain i've ever sold (I sold posturevideos.com a few months ago on flippa) is posturedoctor.com (currently auctioning on flippa.com). I'm just learning this game. I created the Posture Doctor brand in 2012 when I went online full-time in the posture niche. So this brand has huge reach online, especially now during the pandemic, and the work-from-home trend.

•••
Some of the best advice I have seen on here is not to register domains that you like but rather domains that have a end user/s (client) in mind....wish i had seen it before I got started....

Registering domains because you think they look or sound good is just personal opinion not based on logic and research meaning the liklihood of it selling is far far less....

You talk of creating domains, this means you are registering them (hand registration as already mentioned)

Out of the hundreds of millions of domains that are already registered ask yourself why is it still available if it is so good? Are similar domains already registered? Are the keywords within the domain popular? Have they got a good sales history? Any businesses using similar domains? Are you willing to hold it for 3+ years? Etc etc etc

People make good money from it but it takes a long time to become successful at doing it......in the meantime, the more domains you register the bigger the renewal bill becomes.....

Would suggest you do some reading.....there is a section called the domain dictionary which will help explain the terminology

https://www.namepros.com/threads/popular-beginner-resources.844937/

Welcome and good luck...

•••
‘Creating a name’ is the same as ‘hand registering’ a domain. If you are the first to register it, you created it. It doesn’t matter how you came up with the idea for it.

•••
‘Creating a name’ is the same as ‘hand registering’ a domain. If you are the first to register it, you created it. It doesn’t matter how you came up with the idea for it.
Thank you hawkeye! So funny all this business about hand-registering a domain being foolish. All names were hand-registered at some point lol.

•••
Excellent advice thank you very NickB.

I agree, likely a name isn't reason enough to sell. I don't believe, however, that just because a name hasn't been registered, means that it doesn't have potential, otherwise the industry would be stuck with names based mostly on past trends and not future ones.

I love your tips - looking at the keywords in already registered names and see how they perform. Willingness to hold the domain for a time, and working out a cost analysis. Luckily with a background in math, i love numbers and will be sure to do my homework here.

I am not ready to jump full steam ahead. I have created hundreds of names for paying end-users as a freelancer. I'm tired of seeing the names I create for $300 being flipped and for sale for $6k. So now, as you suggest is the time for me to learn this game.

I'm excited. Thank you for taking the time NickB.

•••
Back