Domain Empire

discuss Discuss and Showcase Holo Domain Names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
holo is TM'd by Mictosoft..

Considering the term "Holo" was in use long before MS developed Hololens and that there are a few hundred other "Holo" related TM's, I suspect your conclusion is incorrect... (I would direct you to TESS...)

Any other opinions regarding this issue?

(PS - Not to mention companies recently branding with "Holo" in the last few months, including Holo-Light, HoloArt, HoloSurge...)

Last edited:
•••
You'll find they trademarked a few holo keywords, not just "Holo"

HoloPet
HoloStudio
HoloTour
HoloLens
Etc

Last edited:
•••
Considering the term "Holo" was in use long before MS developed Hololens and that there are a few hundred other "Holo" related TM's, I suspect your conclusion is incorrect... (I would direct you to TESS...)

Any other opinions regarding this issue?

(PS - Not to mention companies recently branding with "Holo" in the last few months, including Holo-Light, HoloArt, HoloSurge...)

I think it works like this:

HoloStudio (.com) owned since 2007

Microsoft filed for trademark of the term "Holo Studio" in 2015

If you were the domain owner prior to the trademark being granted to Microsoft then you are ok to keep the domain.

However things can change if ownership of the domain name HoloStudio changes after the trademark date. This essentially means if someone decides to buy this domain name off of the current owner today they would potentially be opening themself up to Microsoft going after them because they have purchased a term that is currently trademarked by Microsoft.

It's fine to own "Holo" keyword domains in general, it's only in rare cases in which Microsoft decide to trademark an exact holo term that selling that term after a trademarked date becomes a problem.

Last edited:
•••
now your telling us ;)

after all these regs.. all these sales.. and 100 pages of writing .. all for nothing..

next time, come sooner. we need you.

heh

I think we've been through this a thousand times here. Microsoft can't trademark a word that has been in use as an abbreviation for holographic/hologram since before the StarTrek HoloDeck half a century ago.

They might have limited rights, such as preventing another headset/glasses manufacturer branding themselves as Holosomething, but even there I doubt it.

Last edited:
•••
I think it works like this:

HoloStudio (.com) owned since 2007

Microsoft filed for trademark of the term "Holo Studio" in 2015

If you were the domain owner prior to the trademark being granted to Microsoft then you are ok to keep the domain.

However things can change if ownership of the domain name HoloStudio changes after the trademark date. This essentially means if someone decides to buy this domain name off of the current owner today they would potentially be opening themself up to Microsoft going after them because they have purchased a term that is currently trademarked by Microsoft.

It's fine to own "Holo" keyword domains in general, it's only in rare cases in which Microsoft decide to trademark an exact holo term that selling that term after a trademarked date becomes a problem.

And this is also why Holo Smut names are a good investment. I can't see Microsoft trademarking these kind of names.

•••
•••
I think we've been through this a thousand times here. Microsoft can't trademark a word that has been in use as an abbreviation for holographic/hologram since before the StarTrek HoloDeck half a century ago.

They might have limited rights, such as preventing another headset/glasses manufacturer branding themselves as Holosomething, but even there I doubt it.

it was a joke.
not for you.. but for the troll. heh

i've been through it 1000 times. just like you.
but the troll hasn't

he just shows up on random threads, posting random comments without reading the thread.. and then moves on to the next one. frankly, I am suprised he still isn't banned from np. it's like a little miracle.. obviously, if he keeps it up, he will be banned... there is only so much moderators can issue in terms of warnings and post removals.

here is classical trolling from him from a day ago..

https://www.namepros.com/threads/se...s-possible-ethereum-price-drop-today.1070951/

maybe @Eric Lyon can take a look at all this and stop this trolling that no one on np appreciates... as you will see by the countless dislikes under many of his posts.

just as your and my goal when we sit to write a post here, is to say something productive.. something others will put a like on... the troll's aim is to write something others will put a "dislike" under.

Last edited:
•••
Just reg after thinking on it the past 2 days

H*o*l*o*R*a*t*o*r* (com)

It sounds like a product with a purpose , even if it's not invented yet..I REALLY like the way it "sounds"

as well as "RATOR" after holo could refer to

holo+
geneRATOR
opeRATOR
administRATOR
illustRATOR

•••
Just reg after thinking on it the past 2 days

H*o*l*o*R*a*t*o*r* (com)

It sounds like a product with a purpose , even if it's not invented yet..I REALLY like the way it "sounds"

as well as "RATOR" after holo could refer to

holo+
geneRATOR
opeRATOR
administRATOR
illustRATOR

@DomainBarracksRob, JMHO, but I think you want to be very careful when creating this type of "Holo" portmanteau... In an earlier post, I believe the group discussed the "amalgam" name "Holocade" - I thought this was a great name and an exception to the rule because it specifically addressed the use of "Holo" in "arcades" which I believe is a natural combo and applicable to the industry.

In the case of your "HoloRator," I don't think the same strategy applies - First off, people often misspell all the examples you noted (e.g. "Generater" instead of "Generator"), so that's arguably one strike against the name; Secondly, each of the examples you provided - with the possible exception of "illustrator" - do not appear to me as a natural link to "holo" tech (and in the case of "illustrator," I'd more likely go for "HoloStrator" if I had to pick a combo); The final strike is simply that these type of brandables are always much harder to sell than strong kw names, so you already have a reduced mathematical likelihood of future sale ... All this by way of saying, I think it's okay to take a swing at a strong name like "HoloCade" once in a blue moon, but in general you want to avoid this type of hand-reg. (Again, strictly JMHO... I wish you best of luck if you decide to hang on to the name...;))

Last edited:
•••
@NamesBond thanks for the constructive, most of what you said is why I thought on it for 2 days....it's my only 'holo" REG.....as I'm looking to pick up the older keywords when I can through Closeout or expire....yes I know cade is very story different. I don't plan on making up anymore holo names...this one just got stuck in my head.

•••
@NamesBond thanks for the constructive, most of what you said is why I thought on it for 2 days....it's my only 'holo" REG.....as I'm looking to pick up the older keywords when I can through Closeout or expire....yes I know cade is very story different. I don't plan on making up anymore holo names...this one just got stuck in my head.

Hey, it happens to the best of us... For some reason, I regged "Holola" - I justified it as a possible Holo+Geo (I live in L.A.), but honestly, I just liked the sound of it (perhaps because I once dated a hot gal named "Lola?":xf.grin:)

Anyway, along with my more conventional picks in any vertical (e.g. HoloPay, HoloStore, etc.) I always take a punt on one-or-two "brandables" just for fun... You just don't want to make a habit of it... (In my first year of domaining, I remember having to dump about a hundred of these types of names - I learned my lesson the hard way!:wtf:)

Last edited:
•••
HoloPay & HoloStore .. wicked names :)

•••
Hey, it happens to the best of us... For some reason, I regged "Holola" - I justified it as a possible Holo+Geo (I live in L.A.), but honestly, I just liked the sound of it (perhaps because I once dated a hot gal named "Lola?":xf.grin:)

Anyway, along with my more conventional picks in any vertical (e.g. HoloPay, HoloStore, etc.) I always take a punt on one-or-two "brandables" just for fun... You just don't want to make a habit of it... (In my first year of domaining, I remember having to dump about a hundred of these types of names - I learned my lesson the hard way!:wtf:)

I hear you, appreciate the forsight..I'm already dropping crap ton of BS I started with last January ..looking back asking my self why , why, why :yuck:lol. "brandables " are tricky and I've learned to be more selective.

•••
Alright,So I've heard you all on the "brandables" I also heard you all and Futur on why "GAME" is Much better than "CADE". The same thing with tech. So I have been really stuck on the keyword game lately . After much consideration.I decide to pick up my own "hologame" and or games...worth or not I just wanted to own one.......so I hacked it up :)

HoloGa .me
HoloGam .es

Worth the risk..not sure , I just wanted something that was as close to the real thing as I could get, I can't afford the real thing and the hyphens and everything are taken . So I decide to go with it before someone else did.

I picked up so others as well I'll be posting in other niche .

•••
Alright,So I've heard you all on the "brandables" I also heard you all and Futur on why "GAME" is Much better than "CADE". The same thing with tech. So I have been really stuck on the keyword game lately . After much consideration.I decide to pick up my own "hologame" and or games...worth or not I just wanted to own one.......so I hacked it up :)

HoloGa .me
HoloGam .es

Worth the risk..not sure , I just wanted something that was as close to the real thing as I could get, I can't afford the real thing and the hyphens and everything are taken . So I decide to go with it before someone else did.

It’s a nice hack but personally I only buy hacks that are a maximum of 5 letters. I haven’t seen any traction in longer length hacks.

My suggestion would be to buy 1 good name from aftermarket than getting several registered.

I own HoloGamer.com, HolographicGaming.com etc so I do get the importance of the niche.

•••
Thanks @Together4Forever that's good advice. I think these are my first 2 hacks...was only willing to do it, because I'm at least happy keeping these as a Novelty item If i can't sell them lol. I I just wanted the closet spelled out name possible, and liked this better then the hologame + alt Gtld

Sick names you have there! I'd be happy with either one. you should do well with those.

holo game .com has 8 bids/offers on Sedo

•••

HoloGa .me
HoloGam .es

I personally would advise against hacks like these.

hacks are very hard to sell. and 2 word hacks are maybe almost unheard of... I personally would only limit hacks ot one words.. and even then, it'd have to be real good words..

so not stuff like owne.rs
but things like gam.es ..... move.rs
etc.. good product service names.

gl

•••
thanks @alcy ..still fighting the line between tempting and proper. It's like saying no to a 2nd round of deserts lol. I'm trying not to go off the deep end. will be my only holo hacks I can promise you all that.

Last edited:
•••
Agree with the above statements, hacks like sof.as or do.gs are ok but two worders don't go well as a rule. I did have 3dne.ws for a bit , offers? = None, good luck

•••
Got one in this area but not a fan of holo names anymore

HoloSpecs (king)

Might sell it if anyone's interested?

•••
I have one domain in this niche.

StreamHolo.com

I just saw some news about a new product featured on Yahoo called Holo Stream...
If anyone's interested let me know :D

•••
•••
Landed in my account this morning , just added

Holo/arcades

.com

•••
•••
Mixed Reality MR branded as "Holokit" , a product being sold here

https://holokit.io/

Mixed reality will be branded as Holo, it's a no brainer. What sounds AND looks better - mrkit, or holokit?

But we will finally find out by the end of the year (hopefully) when the MagicLeap developer's kit is out (hopefully) and the first apps are being released.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back