Dynadot

various Discuss and Report Any Details of Domain Name Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Scotty205

Established Member
Impact
Got my second domain sale today! New Orleans + 2 keywords .com for $300.00 to end user. I emailed 28 companies and got a call and closed the deal.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
how long you kept this? I have Fast-transfer disabled because of 60 days lock, do you have this lock?
The lock only applies for new reg's or transfers. His domain was over 5 months old so it wouldn't have been applicable.

•••
j/u/n/k/i/e/ .co

$800

Offer on Epik.
Regged for $15.
Hold time: 1 year. Offer came exactly on the renewal day. Don't know if this anyhow related. Was going to renew.
Buyer could have been waiting for it to expire, and once you renewed, he saw he couldn't get it for much cheaper.

•••
how long you kept this? I have Fast-transfer disabled because of 60 days lock, do you have this lock?

He said no further info will be given

•••
Buyer could have been waiting for it to expire, and once you renewed, he saw he couldn't get it for much cheaper.
He didn't renew.

•••
@Joe Styler Can you hep this individual sort out this sale?
I have asked that he contact me with his domain in another thread, he did not. Any information we could provide would only be made to the seller for privacy reasons. But generally speaking we pay you when your domain name sells without issue so I would expect this can be easily resolved.

•••
I have asked that he contact me with his domain in another thread, he did not. Any information we could provide would only be made to the seller for privacy reasons. But generally speaking we pay you when your domain name sells without issue so I would expect this can be easily resolved.
If you post in this thread @Joe Styler, you need to post a domain you've bought or sold. :ROFL:

Last edited:
•••
If you post in this thread @Joe Styler, you need to post a domain you've bought or sold. :ROFL:

Very simple ) he has sold half of the names posted here, as well as the name the owner is not revealing here yet :-D

just look for "sold at Afternic" line in the posts ;)

•••
Very simple ) he has sold half of the names posted here, as well as the name the owner is not revealing here yet :-D

just look for "sold at Afternic" line in the posts ;)
That's what it seems, when you check this thread, but curious that if you check the annual revenue, for example, Dan makes 5-6 times more than them, so a big mystery.

•••
That's what it seems, when you check this thread, but curious that if you check the annual revenue, for example, Dan makes 5-6 times more than them, so a big mystery.

Not sure where you get data for Afternic vs Dan sales, I'd be curious to see that. I'd be surprised if AN doesn't sell way more.

Also, even if AN makes 20% and under from sales, it also has a vast network of partners with which it shares profits, possibly half to 3/4 of the sales made via them. While DAN's sales that were not from landers are pretty close to zero.

•••
Not sure where you get data for Afternic vs Dan sales, I'd be curious to see that. I'd be surprised if AN doesn't sell way more.

Also, even if AN makes 20% and under from sales, it also has a vast network of partners with which it shares profits, possibly half to 3/4 of the sales made via them. While DAN's sales that were not from landers are pretty close to zero.
For data, you can check any website that shares financial data of the big companies.
I think that's the issue, afternic is sharing his sales with hundreds registrars and partners, Dan doesn't have to share any cent of the $

•••
For data, you can check any website that shares financial data of the big companies.
I think that's the issue, afternic is sharing his sales with hundreds registrars and partners, Dan doesn't have to share any cent of the $

I looked around and couldn't find anything available on Afternic financials. Why don't share since you mentioned that DAN results are better?

•••
I looked around and couldn't find anything available on Afternic financials. Why don't share since you mentioned that DAN results are better?
I'm on mobile, but you can check owler, crunchbase and a few others.
Also, as a bonus info, godaddy, with all the closeouts, expired auctions, marketplace with 20% commission, makes purely from domain sales only around 40% more than Dan.

•••
I'm on mobile, but you can check owler, crunchbase and a few others.
Also, as a bonus info, godaddy, with all the closeouts, expired auctions, marketplace with 20% commission, makes purely from domain sales only around 40% more than Dan.

What owler, crunchbase??? Those are for startups. Afternic has been acquired by GD 8 or so years ago, so all that data is long inadequate, wrong etc. and even originally was probably not accurate.

Afternic data are lumped into GD financials and I just checked, they don't provide breakdown for aftermarket and within that revenue/costs for their own vs third party seller numbers.

So, again, NO DATA on this is available and you have zero current info on this. Just admit and move on.

https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives/edgar/data/1609711/000160971120000108/gddy-20200630.htm

PS for your "bonus", thing as well, zero data for that as well. And, just curious, what do think Dan makes and what is that based on?

Last edited:
•••
What owler, crunchbase??? Those are for startups. Afternic has been acquired by GD 8 or so years ago, so all that data is long inadequate, wrong etc. and even originally was probably not accurate.

Afternic data are lumped into GD financials and I just checked, they don't provide breakdown for aftermarket and within that revenue/costs for their own vs third party seller numbers.

So, again, NO DATA on this is available and you have zero current info on this. Just admit and move on.

https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives/edgar/data/1609711/000160971120000108/gddy-20200630.htm

PS for your "bonus", thing as well, zero data for that as well. And, just curious, what do think Dan makes and what is that based on?
Than check zoominfo, DNB and a few others, they all share the same data, it can't be 10 years old at all of them. Also, I don't think that DAN was making tens of millions as a startup, so I'm not sure at what info are you looking at.

•••
Ok, I don't want to offtop further. Hopefully, admins move it to discussion thread.

You don't have any data neither on Afternic sales nor on DAN apparently.

DAN doesn't reveal its info as well, but probably still making losses or barely touching income at this stage.

The closest shared Dan data is here on NP

https://www.namepros.com/threads/da...e-official-thread.1148567/page-8#post-7407032

when they had 900K names with dan ns, they were doing $2MM/months in sales. Since their commission is 9% and 5%, let's say average of 8%. Minust another 3% for transaction fees, about 5% left, for about $100k months or $1.2MM/year on about 1 million names before all the expenses for a) servers, hardware, soft b) engineering team c) admin and support team. Whatever is left, if anything, is peanuts even with scaling to 2-4 million names by now, compared to Afternic.

Afternic has 13 million names listed. If they sell about 0.4% of those a year at about $2500 each that is about 50000 names sold for revenue of $125MM and commission of $25MM before sharing with partner registrars and overhead.

•••
Ok, I don't want to offtop further. Hopefully, admins move it to discussion thread.

DAN doesn't reveal its info as well, but probably still making losses or barely touching income at this stage.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/da...e-official-thread.1148567/page-8#post-7407032

when they had 900K names with dan ns, they were doing $2MM/months in sales. Since their commission is 9% and 5%, let's say average of 8%. Minust another 3% for transaction fees, about 5% left, for about $100k months or $1.2MM/year on about 1 million names before all the expenses for a) servers, hardware, soft b) engineering team c) admin and support team. Whatever is left, if anything, is peanuts even with scaling to 2-4 million names by now, compared to Afternic.

Afternic has 13 million names listed. If they sell about 0.4% of those a year at about $2500 each that is about 50000 names sold for revenue of $125MM and commission of $25MM before sharing with partner registrars and overhead.
When I will move on my laptop, I will share some links( I have shared the same links in another thread a few months ago), but what I've found out, just from memory for 2019, Godaddy had 28 millions or so, sedo 26 millions , uniregistry and undeveloped around 20 millions(uniregistry includes all revenue, not just domain sales) and afternic around 2-3 millions. I don't know how many domains afternic has listed, but the same as most big players, lot's of them are outdated, not for sale anymore and so on. Also, I don't know if you can average the sales at 2.5k, because there are thousands of sales at low xxx, so that will take all the revenue down. Also, knowing that they share all their revenue with hundreds of registrars and partners, the 2-4 millions sounds pretty much accurate.

Last edited:
•••
When I will move on my laptop, I will share some links( I have shared the same links in another thread a few months ago), but what I've found out, just from memory for 2019, Godaddy had 28 millions or so, sedo 26 millions , uniregistry and undeveloped around 20 millions(uniregistry includes all revenue, not just domain sales) and afternic around 2-3 millions. I don't know how many domains afternic has listed, but the same as most big players, lot's of them are outdated, not for sale anymore and so on. Also, I don't know if you can average the sales at 2.5k, because there are thousands of sales at low xxx, so that will take all the revenue down. Also, knowing that they share all their revenue with hundreds of registrars and partners, the 2-4 millions sound pretty much accurate.

You can keep at it. Just by the numbers you mention, no way it is true. Nor DAN can be 5-6 times AN.

For $xxx names, you'd assume not 0.4% (for me AN without landers even is at 0.5%+ with average sale price over $3K). If anything, I have put numbers on conservative side for AN, as many do use their landers and for those sell through would be double of what I have assumed. For $xxx names, sell through is probably at 2%-4%, so it evens out.

•••
You can keep at it. Just by the numbers you mention, no way it is true. Nor DAN can be 5-6 times AN.

For $xxx names, you'd assume not 0.4% (for me AN without landers even is at 0.5%+ with average sale price over $3K). If anything, I have put numbers on conservative side for AN, as many do use their landers and for those sell through would be double of what I have assumed. For $xxx names, sell through is probably at 2%-4%, so it evens out.
The xxx sales are mostly hand regs, and afternic has listed millions of them and even more, lots of the millions hand regs an unsaleable, they are just rubish and will never sell. So, millions of unsaleable names and lots of outdated/not for sale names, I'm sure you know about this. Afternic has representatives here and for sure they can share more data if they think it's wrong, but in the same time they will need to ask the other companies who share financials of companies to correct them.

•••
The xxx sales are mostly hand regs, and afternic has listed millions of them and even more, lots of the millions hand regs an unsaleable, they are just rubish and will never sell. So, millions of unsaleable names and lots of outdated/not for sale names, I'm sure you know about this. Afternic has representatives here and for sure they can share more data if they think it's wrong, but in the same time they will need to ask the other companies who share financials of companies to correct them.

Ok, here:

13 MM - 3MM unsellable/outdated = 10 MM

5MM names average price $600, average sell through 2%, revenue $60MM
5MM names average price $3500, average sell through 0.4% revenue $70MM

Revenue total $130MM, commission $26MM, minus $4MM transaction costs, $22MM.

Whichever way you slice it, Afternic earns $20-30MM/year before overhead/sharing.
DAN is lucky to make $2-4MM on its commission a year, and has way higher overhead given that AN relies on GD system and incremental cost is minimal, while DAN has to build from ground up for this business.

•••

Just for your information:
Currently Afternic page shows:
Number of Domain Listings: 14,906,242

Afternic screenshot.png

Last edited:
•••
Ok, here:

13 MM - 3MM unsellable/outdated = 10 MM

5MM names average price $600, average sell through 2%, revenue $60MM
5MM names average price $3500, average sell through 0.4% revenue $70MM

Revenue total $130MM, commission $26MM, minus $4MM transaction costs, $22MM.

Whichever way you slice it, Afternic earns $20-30MM/year before overhead/sharing.
DAN is lucky to make $2-4MM on its commission a year, and has way higher overhead given that AN relies on GD system and incremental cost is minimal, while DAN has to build from ground up for this business.
You are saying 3 millions of unsellable, it could be 7-10 millions, nobody knows for sure. There are domains on afternic updated 10 years ago, with developed sites that still afternic show them as for sale. Also, there are lots of domainers here who are using afternic landers, I've never heard of 4% STR at afternic, maybe just in very few cases. The only data shared are the one's shared by companies dealing with financial data of other companies, outdated or not, these are the only one's we have, afternic can share new data if they want. Also, looks like undeveloped revenue was 43 millions for 2015-2019, with 2015-2017 very low revenue, 2018 better and 2019 was the pinnacle, so sounds pretty accurate around 20 millions for 2019. Also, like most other domainers, I follow the big players in the industry, to see what landing page they use, what registrar, what domains they buy and so on. So, I will not name anybody( they can share it, if they want) but why do you think that domainer( not an average one) with 13k domains and several domains priced in the 500k-1000k is using dan landing page and not afternic? One 500k sale makes for 200 2,5k afternic sale or thousands of xxx sales. After the dan update, lot's of big players shifted to dan, if it will worth it, we just need to wait and see what they can share.

•••
You are saying 3 millions of unsellable, it could be 7-10 millions, nobody knows for sure. There are domains on afternic updated 10 years ago, with developed sites that still afternic show them as for sale. Also, there are lots of domainers here who are using afternic landers, I've never heard of 4% STR at afternic, maybe just in very few cases. The only data shared are the one's shared by companies dealing with financial data of other companies, outdated or not, these are the only one's we have, afternic can share new data if they want. Also, looks like undeveloped revenue was 43 millions for 2015-2019, with 2015-2017 very low revenue, 2018 better and 2019 was the pinnacle, so sounds pretty accurate around 20 millions for 2019. Also, like most other domainers, I follow the big players in the industry, to see what landing page they use, what registrar, what domains they buy and so on. So, I will not name anybody( they can share it, if they want) but why do you think that domainer( not an average one) with 13k domains and several domains priced in the 500k-1000k is using dan landing page and not afternic? One 500k sale makes for 200 2,5k afternic sale or thousands of xxx sales. After the dan update, lot's of big players shifted to dan, if it will worth it, we just need to wait and see what they can share.

First, see above @rumevic screen with 15MM names.

Second, AN is pretty accurate deleting most names when they stop being current. I generously removed about 25% of names, while in reality the number is under 10%.

Third, my calcs are on the conservative side.

Fourth, while I specifically show where my calcs are coming from and have multiple times mentioned that both companies don't share the data, you keep referring to some firm numbers and ratios with ZERO indication of source.

We have ZERO common ground for continuing the discourse, so I will stop wasting my time with no further response on the subject here. You can keep assuming that DAN is bigger. Good luck.

•••
First, see above @rumevic screen with 15MM names.

Second, AN is pretty accurate deleting most names when they stop being current. I generously removed about 25% of names, while in reality the number is under 10%.

Third, my calcs are on the conservative side.

Fourth, while I specifically show where my calcs are coming from and have multiple times mentioned that both companies don't share the data, you keep referring to some firm numbers and ratios with ZERO indication of source.

We have ZERO common ground for continuing the discourse, so I will stop wasting my time with no further response on the subject here. You can keep assuming that DAN is bigger. Good luck.
I've reached my page view limit at owler to point you a link to afternic( for sure there are some members here who have pro accounts at this financial sharing companies, to share all the data), but I can make an effort an share one for undeveloped: https://rocketreach.co/undeveloped-com-profile_b58b9a78f709a14f

•••
I've reached my page view limit at owler to point you a link to afternic( for sure there are some members here who have pro accounts at this financial sharing companies, to share all the data), but I can make an effort an share one for undeveloped: https://rocketreach.co/undeveloped-com-profile_b58b9a78f709a14f

Ok, one last try:

$43MM, if true, is the revenue that is the gross sales. After paying the owners and card companies, the companies net sales would be about 5% of that or $2.15MM. Over many years?

Peanuts compared to Afternic, which probably makes as much in a month.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back