Dynadot

discuss .DEV Domains...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
So, we all know of the impending launch of the .DEV domains. There has also been some discussions on here about our thoughts, what we think and whether this new extension will take off or merely just be a fad.

I personally was going to take a back seat and watch from the sidelines but decided to opt in and pre-registered one (and my only one) today. Its a great name (i think) for me so decided to take a punt and see.

Will you be opting in?
Have you already pre-registered yours?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is like Groundhog Day every time a new extension launches. This time it is gonna be different, this one is going to be the one that takes over, that has resale value....

Almost every new extension starts with excitement, then fades into the wind like a fart.

Spoiler alert. The outcome is always the same when it comes to resale potential.
People drawn to these want cheap domains, not to pay a premium.

Brad

•••
Or in more financial terms, everyone thinks that the new TLD in which they've invested is the greatest thing since sliced bread until they get their renewal notices for the domains they couldn't flip. After that, the TLD is toast because they've just found the next big thing.

Regards...jmcc

•••
I could not agree more that it is use, real use, that ultimately is the test. None of us will know for some time actually. I find it encouraging that they got some big names to use it before public availability launch. I also feel they have done smart launching, stressing their secure preload (listen to Brent's DNW interview if you have not, please), did not go down the deep discount route, did not unreasonably hype the extension, brought it out smoothly. The difference from many ngTLD launches is this 80,000 + registrations in first few days came without discounting, each of those were at (at least) amounts equal to the renewal rate and cost of a .com registration (exception few dozen early adopters, possibly, and the few hundred free ones for their conference give away).

I also think they did something that we will realize after some time is truly brilliant (and that I think most ngTLD registries have totally failed at). They have reached out to young developers (especially) with the offer of a free .dev account if they are attending the Google sponsored developers contest. We need to get young people, those still in university, excited about domain names and using them. It is extremely early days, but this seems to be catching on. On social media I stumbled across a .dev in use by a computer science student at a large university about 70 km from here, essentially for her resume, etc. If such use becomes even remotely viral, in the way that interest in .io grew from that group, it makes a big difference.

Those in university now will be the ones owning and managing the hot startups in a few years. Getting them to consider an extension is important, imho. While Apple was financially struggling the one thing they did well for decades, that probably kept the company alive, was to effectively reach the education community. When they had 1% of marketshare they had much higher share among educational users, and many of those went on to personally purchase Apple products a few years later.

I will say again, when I look at it with an open mind and at the numbers I think the prospects for success is at least possible for the extension. I am less convinced that there is significant money to be made by domainers, but might be wrong, just as I was in predicting registration early success for .dev.

Bob

•••
Over 90,00 In zone file for .dev climbing

•••
Can anyone please confirm this ho wmany .dev are Reg ???

So I checked google if you type in Site:.dev what number do you guys get ?

•••
I never seen Godaddy advertise a .extension on there home page.

They always have. I don't see .dev on their homepage now. I see .shop, .club, .online.

Over 90,00 In zone file for .dev climbing

It's going to climb, it just came out. Doesn't look like big numbers tho.

Problem I mentioned earlier:

"I’ve heard a number of people in the tech world complain that Google made all this buzz about .DEV and then everything they go to register is already taken."

https://morganlinton.com/dev-domain...e-great-for-developers-but-not-for-domainers/

You should maybe read up on the history of what Google has backed up.

"With Google backing it up I think it is"

Last edited:
•••
They always have. I don't see .dev on their homepage now. I see .shop, .club, .online.

It's going to climb, it just came out. Doesn't look like big numbers tho.

Problem I mentioned earlier:

"I’ve heard a number of people in the tech world complain that Google made all this buzz about .DEV and then everything they go to register is already taken."

https://morganlinton.com/dev-domain...e-great-for-developers-but-not-for-domainers/

You should maybe read up on the history of what Google has backed up.

"With Google backing it up I think it is"
Well this has to be a glitch IMO there is no way in Hell that Google Results is showing 520,000 for .dev

•••
Well this has to be a glitch IMO there is no way in Hell that Google Results is showing 520,000 for .dev

Looks like a bunch of cv/resume/vcard/portfolio sites. Most will probably only be visited by friends and family, some employers. Definitely not an extension for domain investing.

Last edited:
•••
Looks like a bunch of cv/resume/vcard sites. Most will probably only be visited by friends and family, some employers.

True a bunch of code I will never understand.

•••
NameStats currently show it in 40th place with 94000 in zone file. Usually some lag so actual probably a bit higher. It just passed .design in registrations.
https://ntldstats.com/tld/dev

I think the 520,000 sites considering some duplication is believable - like a 10 page site probably gets listed several times in results. They are encouraging developers and code university students to set up code sharing resume type pages and I guess computer science students are fast getting online. I actually know a couple up on a .dev already and I know hardly any students anymore.

There are about 50 .dev websites in Alexa 1M.

Incidentally I personally agree with Morgan that it will be a success among end users but not, in general, profitable for domain investors unless they cleverly think of a term that got missed as a premium and in EAP. Just my opinion.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
NameStats currently show it in 40th place with 94000 in zone file. Usually some lag so actual probably a bit higher. It just passed .design in registrations.

I think the 54000 sites considering some duplication is believable - like a 10 page site probably gets listed several times in results. They are encouraging developers and code university students to set up code sharing resume type pages and I guess computer science students are fast getting online. I actually know a couple up on a .dev already and I know hardly any students anymore.

There are about 50 .dev websites in Alexa 1M.

Incidentally I personally agree with Morgan that it will be a success among end users but not, in general, profitable for domain investors unless they cleverly think of a term that got missed as a premium and in EAP. Just my opinion.

Bob

I agree 100%

•••

For me it is .com, .ca, .shop, .online and .club so pretty similar. I wonder if they personalize and promote different things to different people? Maybe they just give you new extension promotions @JB Lions because they know you are such a fan of them? :xf.grin:

•••
.dev TLD has regular pricing at $12 since February 28. It's registration count hugely increased after that day. Now, there are nearly 90k registered .dev domains.

You can search among all .dev domain names with advanced filters here:
https://dofo.com/search/?extension=dev

•••
.dev TLD has regular pricing at $12 since February 28. It's registration count hugely increased after that day. Now, there are nearly 90k registered .dev domains.

You can search among all .dev domain names with advanced filters here:
https://dofo.com/search/?extension=dev

o very nice website indeed. thank you for sharing

•••
.dev
In Zonefile: 96,790 (99.65%)

•••
•••
.Dev domains are for idiots!
While I give @OnlineDomainCom a grade of A+ for eye-catching headline choice (even his backup ones were pretty sensational) and I actually agree with him about the main conclusion that the extension does not make sense as a domain investment for the names with premium price/renewals or even in general, there are a few points that I think could be respectfully debated.
  • He makes the case that one argument against dev is that who talks "dev" in everyday language. While I don't talk dev I also don't talk com outside the domain community :xf.wink:. The abbreviation 'dev' yields 544 million Google search results, even before the TLD came out. Actually if you look at popularity of term in everyday language net blows com out of water, but top is way more talked about than either of them in everyday language. Check NGram viewer for the stats.
  • He argues, and I agree it is a good point, that with so many extensions why do we need one more? I think that Google would probably respond that while yes there are many choices this is only the third choice that is a TLD secure space. The whole secure space angle is missing from the article, and I think many pundits are missing how important this is. Google have 62% (some say more) of the browser market with Chrome, when they say secure pre-load is important, it will be. If there is one space where security makes sense it is one aimed at code developers.
  • I think he implies that the end user market is limited but I would not agree. There are about 18 million individuals and companies who identify themselves as developers, not counting all the aspects of development (educational, social, real estate, etc.) that have nothing to do with code.
  • I think he overlooks the fact that Google are the masters of search. They control about 70% of search market currently. I have no clue what Google were thinking with some of their TLD choices, but I think with the last three they are saying an extension that helps show what the site will be about clearly makes sense. There is a well defined .dev community and the promotion has been clearly aimed at getting early adopters large and small in that community.
  • He points out that at least so far .app has had sales but is not a domainer success. I agree. It was hopelessly over speculated by domainers. I think we don't yet know the long term domain reselling prospects for .app. The sales record is less than 9 months with 14 sales on NameBio with an average price of just over $4000. I agree that .dev does not hold many opportunities for domainers.
  • He says because some Google efforts were unsuccessful, we can discount chance for success in domains. I disagree. Yes some Google things have not worked out. But many have. Just as in domaining we should not judge by the a few failures or a few huge successes, we should look at the big picture. Look at the size and profitability of Google, their dominance in the search, browser, mobile operating system and other spaces. This does not mean they will be successful as a domain registry, but neither does the abandonment of a few ventures mean they will not be.
As I said, I agree with the overall view that .dev is probably not a good place for domain investment unless you manage to snag a great future trend word that they somehow missed in premium list. I also agree that it will see competition from some other ngTLDs including the ones he lists.

I'm not trying to be difficult. I just try to push for balance on issues.

Just my opinion (I own zero .dev domains)

Bob

Last edited:
•••
While I give @OnlineDomainCom a grade of A+ for eye-catching headline choice (even his backup ones were pretty sensational) and I actually agree with him about the main conclusion that the extension does not make sense as a domain investment for the names with premium price/renewals or even in general, there are a few points that I think could be respectfully debated.
  • He makes the case that one argument against dev is that who talks "dev" in everyday language. While I don't talk dev I also don't talk com outside the domain community :xf.wink:. The abbreviation 'dev' yields 544 million Google search results, even before the TLD came out. Actually if you look at popularity of term in everyday language net blows com out of water, but top is way more talked about than either of them in everyday language. Check NGram viewer for the stats.
  • He argues, and I agree it is a good point, that with so many extensions why do we need one more? I think that Google would probably respond that while yes there are many choices this is only the third choice that is a TLD secure space. The whole secure space angle is missing from the article, and I think many pundits are missing how important this is. Google have 62% (some say more) of the browser market with Chrome, when they say secure pre-load is important, it will be. If there is one space where security makes sense it is one aimed at code developers.
  • I think he implies that the end user market is limited but I would not agree. There are about 18 million individuals and companies who identify themselves as developers, not counting all the aspects of development (educational, social, real estate, etc.) that have nothing to do with code.
  • I think he overlooks the fact that Google are the masters of search. They control about 70% of search market currently. I have no clue what Google were thinking with some of their TLD choices, but I think with the last three they are saying an extension that helps show what the site will be about clearly makes sense. There is a well defined .dev community and the promotion has been clearly aimed at getting early adopters large and small in that community.
  • He points out that at least so far .app has had sales but is not a domainer success. I agree. It was hopelessly over speculated by domainers. I think we don't yet know the long term domain reselling prospects for .app. The sales record is less than 9 months with 14 sales on NameBio with an average price of just over $4000. I agree that .dev does not hold many opportunities for domainers.
  • He says because some Google efforts were unsuccessful, we can discount chance for success in domains. I disagree. Yes some Google things have not worked out. But many have. Just as in domaining we should not judge by the a few failures or a few huge successes, we should look at the big picture. Look at the size and profitability of Google, their dominance in the search, browser, mobile operating system and other spaces. This does not mean they will be successful as a domain registry, but neither does the abandonment of a few ventures mean they will not be.
As I said, I agree with the overall view that .dev is probably not a good place for domain investment unless you manage to snag a great future trend word that they somehow missed in premium list. I also agree that it will see competition from some other ngTLDs including the ones he lists.

I'm not trying to be difficult. I just try to push for balance on issues.

Just my opinion (I own zero .dev domains)

Bob

I do agree he makes a very good point what I been saying also, if anyone getting a .dev hoping to sell it flip for money is in for the long haul. If you get a .dev build your self a website put use to it.But trying to flip it not going to happen IMO.

•••
•••
SecretSquirrel.dev

secretsquirrel.dev.jpg

Cheers
Corey

•••
I would not get THAT excited overi it JB, although the title might be catchy to some ... imo post by Bob above is much more balanced, when it comes to reality.

(Disclaimer : I own 0 .dev domain names myself, but I certainly do not think .dev domains are for idiots...I think they are aimed to ... developers) :)

Somebody didn't actually click the link and read the blog post. Not my title, it's the title of the blog post. Which also means you only read Bob's response, but not what he was responding to.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
98,841 In ZoneFile .dev numbers are climbing.

Of course they're climbing, it just came out, they all climb in the first year.

But based on that chart alone, it doesn't look good. It seems like it's already slowing down. Probably because of what was talked about. All the first names.dev and other obvious ones are already gone. People will be going to register and the names they want won't be available. So now we're probably at 2 word and more . dev

•••
registered Sativa.dev

Cheers
Corey

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back