IT.COM

discuss .DEV Domains...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
So, we all know of the impending launch of the .DEV domains. There has also been some discussions on here about our thoughts, what we think and whether this new extension will take off or merely just be a fad.

I personally was going to take a back seat and watch from the sidelines but decided to opt in and pre-registered one (and my only one) today. Its a great name (i think) for me so decided to take a punt and see.

Will you be opting in?
Have you already pre-registered yours?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Of course they're climbing, it just came out, they all climb in the first year.

But based on that chart alone, it doesn't look good. It seems like it's already slowing down. Probably because of what was talked about. All the first names.dev and other obvious ones are already gone. People will be going to register and the names they want won't be available. So now we're probably at 2 word and more . dev

There is still a bunch of 2 letter , 3 letter and one word , but there pricey. I think once the pricy comes down a bit there will be a rush to secure more .dev but not until the price comes down IMO

•••
Hi

lot of If's in this thread

if this and if that, if google do this or if google do that
if developers do this and if coders do that

then....

IF, you go and search all the other showcase gtld threads, you'll see many of the same IF's

If, If, If :)

imo….

•••
I read that piece yesterday. Probably one of the more ridiculous click-bait articles I've read in awhile. That article has a specific audience. dev will be just for some tech type folk, the general public, consumers will never know it exists.

side note - I also think it's funny Google Domains in still in beta, they have a history of that sort of thing.

“In beta” means it isn’t going so well and may be sold/closed down.

•••
There is still a bunch of 2 letter , 3 letter and one word , but there pricey. I think once the pricy comes down a bit there will be a rush to secure more .dev but not until the price comes down IMO

Yeah, the rush is coming lol

•••
How is it that I purchased 4 .Dev's, received a Congrats email that they are mine, an email stating that either I canceled the orders or there was an error after making the purchase and was refunded the funds. They were very good.

•••
How is it that I purchased 4 .Dev's, received a Congrats email that they are mine, an email stating that either I canceled the orders or there was an error after making the purchase and was refunded the funds. They were very good.
What 4.dev if you don’t me asking

•••
Sure 101.dev is one I will look for the others. Even someone at godaddy agreed something was up

•••
Sure 101.dev is one I will look for the others. Even someone at godaddy agreed something was up

lol, I pre registered 101.dev also but when it came down to putting it in my account they informed me that another person paid a munch higher price for it. 101.dev is a very good one, but it’s not Godaddys fault,.

•••
During the pre registering the higher you pay the bigger chance you will get it. At least you get your money back.

•••
Too funny, the issue is that I was not informed what you were I actually got the congrats emails after the payments then the other 2 emails were completely wrong. I did not cancel the order.

•••
At least you got a refund

•••
Even Speakofthe.dev was registered That is a sign of a strong future for . Dev
Having both the .com and .dev is a must to have the value. For every .dev you get you must also register the .com equivalent at the same time. Otherwise do not buy.

•••
Indeed, why is it that the 5th went into an auction because the message was that I was not the only bidder. It was wpress.dev

•••
The higher the bidder? It was not an auction the price was set I paid what godaddy listed it for. They have to give me a refund if I did not get anything for the investment. What has thrown those that know about this situation is that I got the congratulations email after waiting once the domains were released.

•••
I’m referring to Pre registering, but I see

•••
Having both the .com and .dev is a must to have the value. For every .dev you get you must also register the .com equivalent at the same time. Otherwise do not buy.
But if the .com was unregistered, it's doubtful it has any value.

•••
In Zonefile: 103,179 (99.90%)

•••
Back in 2015, Google caused some minor outrage in the developer community over their new rights to the .dev top-level domain, as many companies used .dev domains for internal testing websites. Two years later, Google’s acquisition of .dev, and its integration with Chrome and other browsers caused many of these testing pages to refuse to open altogether.

I only register 2 .dev domains, and the server is undeveloped.com, i couldnt open those domains with opera, and it said your connection is not private. This server could not prove that it is a****.dev; its security certificate is from undeveloped.com. This may caused by misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection. You cannot proceed because the website operator has requested heightened security for this domain.

that's interesting to know...

•••
that's interesting to know...

its already solved, and i able to open those domains everywhere, seems this .dev extension have extra layer of security, so take longer to issued security certificate.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back