discuss Deplorable Domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
If just 1-2% of a domain portfolio sells annually, why do the remaining domains NOT sell? Are they just deplorable domains, or are there other reasons? I have my own suspicions, but I would like to hear from some of the so called professionals in the business. Thanks,

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've spent a little time reviewing your blog, Franks F1lter.com (now there's a crappy name:xf.rolleyes:), ... and I must say, I'm not impressed:xf.frown: I'd share some constructive criticism with each of you, but none of you could afford me.

F1lter.com is actually the crappiest name I could come up with
that somehow makes sense

as I didn't want somebody to offer me xx.xxx usd
and tease me to ruin the system in selling it

and yes you are right this is my portpolio
quite impressive I guess

more than 1 million names
regged in the last 10 days

that's what I would call impressive, man

and really you are right
I can't afford your advice

as I need somebody with 20/20 vision

Last edited:
•••
F1lter.com is actually the crappiest name I could come up with
that somehow makes sense

as I didn't want somebody to offer me xx.xxx usd
and tease me to ruin the system in selling it

and yes you are right this is my portpolio
quite impressive I guess

more than 1 million names
regged in the last 10 days

that's what I would call impressive, man

and really you are right
I can't afford your advice

as I need somebody with 20/20 vision
So you do read my crap? LMAO:ROFL:

•••
•••
@ThatNameGuy I remember you from last year.
You talked about some golf tournament where you were going to advertise your .golf names I believe.
I took you seriously then despite all the winds that were blowing against you, I like innovative people but I haven't heard anything from you since.
How did that event go down?

•••
@ThatNameGuy I remember you from last year.
You talked about some golf tournament where you were going to advertise your .golf names I believe.
I took you seriously then despite all the winds that were blowing against you, I like innovative people but I haven't heard anything from you since.
How did that event go down?
Yes, it was the Myrtle Beach World Amateur that was attended by almost 3,000 golfers from around the world. Donuts, the registry for .Golf was to co-host the both with me, but they cancelled. About that time Paul Stahura, CEO left the company and everything was put on hold. I have even more reason now to attend a USGA sponsored golf event now that I've come up with a unique idea how to attract more people/players to the game. My next trade show venture will be to have a booth at realty/builders convention.sometime late this fall....maybe November.

And you're right, it is Bulloney and not Baloney:xf.wink:. I did attend Namescon in Vegas in late January, and met a lot of industry leaders, but didn't learn much new that I didn't already know. That's it Windoms....stay cool:xf.cool:, and enjoy life.

•••
that should give you enough criticism to last you until the farting cows come home! lol
LOL. Too funny!

I have my own suspicions why so few registered domains sell each year, and the main reason is that "end users" never see them due to the nature of the beast called the domain industry. I've said it before and I'll say it again, "end users" have never heard of the likes of a Sedo, a Uniregistry or an Undeveloped. And changing their names to "Uni" or "Dan" just doesn't cut it.
Oh please do tell how 'you' can/will/do/make/provide that better platform than any of the above and how soon that you will bring that to market so endusers will find it and available domains, and how it'll increase the domain sell thru rates for all to enjoy. An 'actual' plan/vision would be appreciated and not a redundant history of how successful you've been in the past :xf.rolleyes:, or your typical off-subject nonsensical retorts. That is 'if' you actually have one!

Last edited:
•••
•••
I never knew any of this until I met Rob Monster of Epik (online), and found the NP site back in November of 2017
Ahhh, now we know who's at fault for you being here. "NO soup for Rob!"

•••
LOL. Too funny!

Oh please do tell how 'you' can/will/do/make/provide that better platform than any of the above and how soon that you will bring that to market so endusers will find it and available domains, and how it'll increase the domain sell thru rates for all to enjoy. An 'actual' plan/vision would be appreciated and not a redundant history of how successful you've been in the past :xf.rolleyes:, or your typical off-subject nonsensical retorts. That is 'if' you actually have one!
LOL. Too funny!

Kevin...i just got around to checking you out, for I sometimes learn a lot from my critics:xf.wink: While I wasn't impressed with Name Innovations, I really do like your marketplace for Brandable Names, especially compared with Margot's BrandBucket. Stick around a little while, and you may learn something new:smuggrin:

•••
I said I have my own suspicions why so few registered domains sell each year, and the main reason is that "end users" never see them due to the nature of the beast called the domain industry. I've said it before and I'll say it again, "end users" have never heard of the likes of a Sedo, a Uniregistry or an Undeveloped. And changing their names to "Uni" or "Dan" just doesn't cut it.
Now I can see where you were heading. Exposure.

Truth be told, most average domains won't and don't sell due to lack of exposure on established marketplaces. Even if potential buyers know about and visit the marketplaces for their next domain needs, without paying premium fees, average domains have slim chances of making it to the shortlist, talk less of selling profitably (if at all they sell).

Not quite long, elsewhere on NP, I shed some light on possible technical solutions to the problem. Going from simple to complex.

Still on exposure. To make things even worse, with GDPR now enforced, registrant's contact details in domain WHOIS are no longer available to the public. So, henceforth it's not enough to have a good domain name with the hope that potential buyers will contact you through the WHOIS data. Nope! We are now tasked to do more.

@ThatNameGuy , maybe you should edit the title of the post to something more friendly and challenging, for example, "Why Your Domains are Not Selling" and let guys out their share their valuable experience on how to break the 1-2% sell-through "jinx", although I believe @Ategy.com has already posited a lot of insightful, thought-provoking inferences.

Last edited:
•••
@ThatNameGuy Your method for gaining exposure is not foolish in theory. But instead of your own names, wouldn't it be interesting to have Media Options grade names displayed at events? I have no idea how the partnership would be done neither am I saying you should deal with that company. I am only talking about the quality of domain names.

Btw Media Options domain newsletter shows domains and prices.

Like July 2nd
doors.com $499,000
BTCmanagement $25,000
nanny.app $4,000.
etc..

•••
If just 1-2% of a domain portfolio sells annually, why do the remaining domains NOT sell? Are they just deplorable domains, or are there other reasons? I have my own suspicions, but I would like to hear from some of the so called professionals in the business. Thanks,

I am not pro, but never take as reference the interest of others for your domain...

For example,

1 - I try to sell without success on sedo.com some domain for $500.(no sales)

2 - I have tried to sell here without success many domains for between 100 and 500 (no sales)

Then, in less than a year they have been sold directly to my inbox between 1K and 2500k.

Sometimes you just need time, investigate what you have, and keep those that you know about which you have an opportunity.

I dont talk about brandable domains unless they are very cool..I speak of domains directly related to an industry.

•••

Truth be told, most average domains won't and don't sell due to lack of exposure on established marketplaces. Even if potential buyers know about and visit the marketplaces for their next domain needs, without paying premium fees, average domains have slim chances of making it to the shortlist, talk less of selling profitably (if at all they sell).

Not quite long, elsewhere on NP, I shed some light on possible technical solutions to the problem. Going from simple to complex.

Still on exposure. To make things even worse, with GDPR now enforced, registrant's contact details in domain WHOIS are no longer available to the public. So, henceforth it's not enough to have a good domain name with the hope that potential buyers will contact you through the WHOIS data. Nope! We are now tasked to do more.

@ThatNameGuy , maybe you should edit the title of the post to something more friendly and challenging, for example, "Why Your Domains are Not Selling" and let guys out their share their valuable experience on how to break the 1-2% sell-through "jinx", although I believe @Ategy.com has already posited a lot of insightful, thought-provoking inferences.

Thanks Josy...or should i call you Joseph? You're right...this thread should have been titled "Why Your Domains are Not Sellling" You're also right about "exposure" being the key which has been my point all along. What i do know is, i can have the best web marketplace with some of the best domain and brand names in the world and i still may not break the 1-2% sell-through "jinx" as you refer to it.

It stands to reason that if you get twice the exposure, it would result in twice the sales. I also think "price" and "terms" have a lot to do with increased sales as well. Employing the KISS principle, and while all my domains are "hand registered" I'm setting just one price for "domains" and another price for "brand names". What I've noticed about most of the marketplaces is that prices are all over the place. I understand the reasoning behind it, but it creates a level of confusion with a "end user" consumer that's not necessary imho.

Finally, once my sites for DomainGourmet and BrandWik are developed, I plan on strategically developing email marketing strategies and industry specific trade show strategies to get more exposure. To give you an example....i own a domain, Johnson.homes that i hand reg'd for just $10. I know there are literally hundreds if not thousands of builders and realtors around the world with the last name Johnson, some of who would luv to own the domain Johnson.homes. All that's needed is exposure, and that's what I plan to provide.....make sense?

Thanks for chiming in Josy...i think we can share some good ideas here and i'm looking forward to sharing my ideas with others(y)

•••
why do you think big players own 8000 domains plus?? there has to be a few in that pile to sell to pay the rereg fees . its simply the odds

•••
why do you think big players own 8000 domains plus?? there has to be a few in that pile to sell to pay the rereg fees . its simply the odds
While i just own 1,500 domains, i can certainly see myself owning 8,000. I have a couple hundred pages of domains (about 50 to a page) that would be fine for any number of business startups.What I find interesting is that some businesses with deplorable names succeed, while businesses with great names fail.....go figure. I just finished writing this for a friend:

About Brands and Branding – “KISS Principle”

So why would you name your company “Apple”? or “Amazon”? How about “KISS”? We’ve discovered if you ask 10 different “so called” professionals what a brand or branding is about, you’ll get 10 different answers.

Brands have been around for centuries. You were branded before you left the hospital, a la your birth certificate:xf.wink: Here at xxxxx xxxxxxx we subscribe to the “KISS” principle that by many standards means “Keep it Simple Stupid”. By other standards “KISS” is one of the top rock bands of all time. So as an interesting test, we decided to key KISS.com to see where it might lead us? Guess what, KISS.com takes you to a dating site. Well, that sort of makes sense, doesn’t it?

Like beauty being in the eyes of the beholder, so are brands. Because single word names like Apple, Amazon and KISS are gone, most single word type brands are misspellings like TAKL, or consist of two keywords like BrandAmerica™. You’ll find both types of brand names here on our website, but in case you don’t, we promise to find one for you.

These words are moot if no one is reading them. They need exposure as do your domains and your brands. Opportunity abounds in this industry....seize the opportunity(y)

•••
@ThatNameGuy Your method for gaining exposure is not foolish in theory. But instead of your own names, wouldn't it be interesting to have Media Options grade names displayed at events? I have no idea how the partnership would be done neither am I saying you should deal with that company. I am only talking about the quality of domain names.

Btw Media Options domain newsletter shows domains and prices.

Like July 2nd
doors.com $499,000
BTCmanagement $25,000
nanny.app $4,000.
etc..
Windoms...i knew I recognized the name Media Options, and they appear to be a well respected broker. I actually connected with Andrew R. their CEO about a year ago and your idea is worth exploring. I actually own a domain; DomainScoring.com that if developed properly could be beneficial to the entire industry. I assisted in developing credit and debt scoring back in the sixties and seventies, and a lot of the same principles apply.

Thanks for the idea(y)

•••
^ Excellent points well said and intelligently laid out explanations of common domaining sense and the differences of buying names to sell for profit as opposed to just 'naming' a business. Too bad it'll all be for naught, as it'll just fly over it's intended target to be retorted with more of the same braggadocios rants and put downs this was addressing.

Bottom line here:
It's senseless and futile to try and reason with an unreasonable man.

(...and the band played on.)
Kevin...i realize i should have tracked you down some time ago. Here is what my new partner said about your site:

"Hi Richard.
I had a look at this site; BrandableNames.com
Awesome. Gave me some great ideas what to add to Domain Gourmet and BrandWik"

It appears your exposure will be adding value to my exposure. Thanks for playing the game:xf.rolleyes:

•••
Thanks for the nice review Richard. No copying!!

•••
Thanks for the nice review Richard. No copying!!
Inspired SensibleBrandable:xf.wink:....another crappy domain, but i did it for you:xf.cool:

Hint...."end users" understand BrandNames far better than Domain Names, thus exposure for names like BrandableNames and BrandWik is paramount.

Even with Margot being a linguist and holding a degree from Stanford, one would think she could have come up with a far better name than BrandBucket:xf.rolleyes:

•••
•••
You not need 1000 domains for sale at higher price...in fact my count is.....in how long time you register 500 domains??....500 x 8 =4000....so stop register save the money .... from the first 1000 dollars saved you can now search to buy something with a value higher than all the domains that are free, at least 99% of the time

•••
Domainers only sell ~1-2% of domains on average a year simply because of the relatively fixed number of new businesses looking for domains each year versus the number of domains being held by domainers
First, you give absolutely zero evidence or provide any sources to back up this statement;

I have no idea what to say here .. I'm completely speechless. Do you really need me to give you links about the relative stability of global economic growth? It's inconceivable that anyone be so truly ignorant on the subject .. but even so .. just google "Global Economic Growth" .. there are literally 477 MILLION results.

https://ycharts.com/indicators/world_gdp_growth
Dec. 31, 2017 3.15%
Dec. 31, 2016 2.59%
Dec. 31, 2015 2.86%
Dec. 31, 2014 2.84%
Dec. 31, 2013 2.65%
Dec. 31, 2012 2.52%
Dec. 31, 2011 3.15%
Dec. 31, 2010 4.36%
Dec. 31, 2009 -1.74%
Dec. 31, 2008 1.80%
Dec. 31, 2007 4.18%
Dec. 31, 2006 4.28%
Dec. 31, 2005 3.82%
Dec. 31, 2004 4.37%
Dec. 31, 2003 2.90%
Dec. 31, 2002 2.20%
Dec. 31, 2001 1.92%
Dec. 31, 2000 4.39%
Dec. 31, 1999 3.26%
Dec. 31, 1998 2.54%
Dec. 31, 1997 3.70%
Dec. 31, 1996 3.39%
Dec. 31, 1995 3.04%
Dec. 31, 1994 3.01%

I can't be bothered to pull out number of new businesses per year, because quite frankly if you still don't understand that there is a direct correlation to economic growth then you will never understand anything related to math or economics.

Seriously .. growth in number of domains sold per year is more or less directly related to the growth of the economy! The other very important factor to consider is that there is also still a shift of old companies making the move to the digital world, so that has an amplifying effect on domain sales that will likely have a stable but diminishing effect for many more years to come.

In terms of major influences of domain sales that isn't also related to the economy, the only thing I can think of is Facebook .. as there was likely a dampening effect of domain growth in the early years of Facebook as many companies simply replied on FB for their online presence. The true effect of that is likely lost in the 2008+ financial crisis.

If for some reason Facebook or Amazon closed down, then that in turn could cause growth in domain sales as many retailers rush to get their own websites.

Obviously political influence can have an effect as well .. particularly in China where changes in government policy has led to noticeably changing trends in domain registration numbers.

At some point some ICANN decision could also certainly effect the number of domains being sold. But depending on the policy change, that would effect more new registrations and less directly aftermarket sales.

I'm honestly not sure what effect the ngTLD's had on domains, but there likely was a short term spike as at least some businesses tries to secure their defensive registrations. While new businesses that got ngTLD's likely would have otherwise bought an existing oldTLD .. so that might have had a short term dampening effect on the aftermarket as the best ngTLDs were bought (instead of lower-tier .com, other ccTLDs and .net). Now many domainers own ngTLD's .. so effectively ngTLD don't really have such a pronounced affect on the aftermarket because they are part of the aftermarket now.

Also .. the Chinese CHIP craze influenced the market as well .. but those are mostly liquid domains that most domainers do not trade in .. and actually represent a very tiny portion of the traditional end-user market .. so even if it was a big deal .. it's effect on the average "~2%" of average domainers was actually negligible.

When it comes to aftermarket domains (the famous ~2% +/- ?%), I think we can all agree that the demand is going to also be relatively related to overall domain growth.

Again .. there could be changes in the delta between overall new domain sales and aftermarket sales. Perhaps if .com ever saw a significant renewal price jump then more people would look at aftermarket domains.

A significant portion of unsold domains is simply due to poor quality domains as well as overpriced domains. Maybe not as bad as potential hand registrations, but remember that in order to have a profitable portfolio a domainer needs to have a significant markup on their domains. Yet at the end of the day, a new business start-up would have a much stronger likelihood of getting a bad hand reg at $15, than an only slightly better improvement at $1000.

Another factor which I already mentioned above is for more awareness to be brought to domains .. but by far the biggest players in the industry tend to focus their marketing dollars on new registrations. That being said .. GoDaddy ads about (hand-reg) domains most certainly would have a secondary effect of bringing more awareness to the industry in general. A certain number of people who go to GoDaddy and can't find any decent hand reg's will take the next step to the aftermarket.

I suggest you go back and read Josytal post followed by internet.domains post. Then think about what they said for a while Ategy.

Again you simply prove your complete ignorance and lack of understanding on what you're talking about.

Before even beginning, what both are talking about are micro level .. having to do with individual (single domainers/portfolios) as opposed to the macro level that we have been discussing (industry-wide factors).

Demand and supply. Just like in any other industry, supply by far outweighs demand.
@ThatNameGuy .. This has actually been MY point the entire time .. lol. Go back and you'll see I talked about this in depth. Maybe it's YOU who should be reflecting on it as you've been saying that somehow we can magically overcome the supply/demand factor of the entire domain industry ... we've all been waiting for you to actually tell us what you're going to do with your magic wand .. but instead all you do is reply with nonsense and gibberish .. and backtracking to change your initial arguments and stance.

And by the way, Pareto principle states clearly:
80% of the outcome of any activity comes from 20% of the total efforts.
So if you apply the principle to the best of domain portfolio, at any given time the maximum you can sell should be 20% of your portfolio.
So IMO for domaining 20% should be optimal.
@ThatNameGuy .. If this is what you're talking about, then unfortunately there is absolutely no direct correlation of 20% in one being 20% in another. What it would theoretically say is that 80% of his sales comes from 20% of his efforts. Which means that 6.4% of the 8% of his sell-through would come from 20% of his time spent on domaining (8% x 80% = 6.4%). So again .. your asking me to look again only goes to prove how little comprehension you have on domaining, math and basic logic.
(Note that I say "would theoretically say is that 80% .." because I personally don't even believe in that. Domaining is a a little more complex than that, as it involved multiple factors and skills from acquisition through to purchase. Someone could put in 5x more effort than someone else .. but if they don't have domaining skills and knowledge, then not only would they not have 5x better results, but it would likely be 5++x worse. The 20/80 principle is more of a stand-alone principle based on specific individuals and their own relative effort .. because the quality of the 20% effort in person A can vary significantly from the 20% in person B based on wisdom, intelligence and experience)

@Internet.Domains talks about everyone taking their own path ... which again .. is something I SPECIFICALLY talked about in that most certainly individual domainers can make changes to improve their sell-through significantly ... and btw .. it was YOU (@ThatNameGuy) who were the one who questioned any domainers ability to exceed even 2% ..
Many sell far more than 2% a year??? Ategy...i bolded "many" and "far" because i simply don't believe you:xf.rolleyes:
It boggles my mind how quickly you are to completely change the scope of a discussion simply to avoid saying you were wrong. Instead you try to twist things around and subtly change your point of view to not make your original statements seem so completely wrong and ridiculous!

Just to be clear .. when I said domainers sell over 2% you called me a liar ("i simply don't believe you").. but when @Josytal says he sells 8%, not only do you not question his claim, but you somehow try to turn things around and make it look like it's me who is wrong !?!? :banghead::banghead::banghead: .. it boggles my mind at how stupid you think NamePros so-called members are! lol

Last edited:
•••
I said I have my own suspicions why so few registered domains sell each year, and the main reason is that "end users" never see them due to the nature of the beast called the domain industry. I've said it before and I'll say it again, "end users" have never heard of the likes of a Sedo, a Uniregistry or an Undeveloped. And changing their names to "Uni" or "Dan" just doesn't cut it.

All of this discussion was simply to say this? WOW .. AMAZING ... what a total revelation !!! If only the domain industry already knew about this and fixed it we would be making 10x our sales!
(Just because you don't seem to ever understand anything let me be clear I'm being sarcastic)

I seriously seriously can't believe you've waited all this time only to state the totally obvious! You are aware that millions upon million are spent each year on new platforms and marketplace advertising in hopes of getting more eyes on their portfolios? Why do you think BrandBucket or all the other similar marketplaces started?

Did it ever occur to you that this "problem" is actually what allows us to be domainers in the first place?

Seriously .. while on one hand bringing more domain awareness to the general population would get us more buyers .. it would also cost considerably more. Why do you think HugeDomains keeps buying more and more domains? It's because they have enough traffic and such a huge marketplace that it makes them (and more specifically their marketing spend) more efficient. They can afford to bid higher than the rest of us because they are more efficient at selling because of their size.

Over the years there are tons of domainers who have tried to be more efficient in getting their portfolios more visibility .. most not successfully .. while other most certainly have been successful for numerous reasons .. they are the ones making money in this industry! (You remember .. the ones who sell over ~2% who you called me a liar for having said even existed ... lol)

Did you ever stop to consider the bigger picture as well? Maybe most "end users" never see most of our aftermarket domains because they are "end users"? By their very definition then are not involved in the domain industry. It's no mystery as to why either. In their lives they only need to buy one or a small number of domains. Otherwise they are focused on running a business .. most end users have no interest, or more importantly, no time to go and learn about domains. They just want a good digital business address and then get on with the business of running a business!

Plus .. AS I ALREADY MENTIONED ABOVE .. there most certainly ways to improve industry visibility and awareness .. but there is significant cost involved ... and not only that .. but we're talking about changing the current levels (which for argument's purpose we're all calling ~2%) by maybe 5-10% .. bringing an industry average to 2.1-2.2% .. nothing even at the same scale of the 20% you seem to be hinting towards.

Hell, most people, to include "end users" don't even know the difference between a registry and a registrar. I know first hand this to be true because I never knew any of this until I met Rob Monster of Epik (online), and found the NP site back in November of 2017. Prior to that, all I'd ever heard about was GoDaddy and Network Solutions.
WOW .. lmao .. again .. seriously .. you've made us wait all this time for this ??? We already know this .. you are not saying anything new at all .. and the fact you think you are just shows how little understanding you have of so-called domainers and the industry! lol

It is not baloney LOL but Bulloney.
You did that on purpose. And I laughed a lot.
Actually ... I didn't .. but I'm glad you laughed .. hope you laughed as hard as I did at most of his flip-flopping so-called statements! lol

Yes, it was the Myrtle Beach World Amateur that was attended by almost 3,000 golfers from around the world. Donuts, the registry for .Golf was to co-host the both with me, but they cancelled. About that time Paul Stahura, CEO left the company and everything was put on hold.
Ahh .. yet more name-dropping to make yourself look good. More big plans that lead to absolutely nothing .. lol. Again .. it's fine to dream big ... but until you get big results, you might want to listen more than you lecture!

My next trade show venture will be to have a booth at realty/builders convention.sometime late this fall....maybe November.
lol .. just like someone else said they were doing a few weeks ago!? Gotta give you credit for all your so-called unique ideas! ;)

•••
What i do know is, i can have the best web marketplace with some of the best domain and brand names in the world and i still may not break the 1-2% sell-through "jinx" as you refer to it.
If you list your domains at all the marketplaces, have landing pages, price your domains correctly AND have GOOD domains that are in demand .. then you should hit 1% regardless of your own marketplace. If you do have a good marketplace that gets good traffic, then that's an extra and you should be doing even better!

Because I've been focused on a ton of non-domain stuffs in my life .. and distracted by stupidities (such as this discussion .. lol), most of my domains are not priced .. and the majority are also not even listed on the major marketplaces. In fact there are some marketplaces where none of my domains are listed. Yet I still am in the 1% range ... and more importantly .. because of my low acquisition price of good domains that people actually want .. I am profitable even at well below 2%! (I really can't wait until I'm fully priced/listed and have my marketplace going .. lol)

That being said though .. as I stated above .. on an individual domainer level (micro-level) the 1-2% is a completely useless threshold to use .. as your level of profitability depends not just on sell-through .. but also on your acquisition price to sales price delta (difference). Many domainers are profitable at 1% .. while others lose money at 5%! Your fixation that a percentage alone is an important factor is quite simply misleading and flat out wrong .. when talking about individual domainers a successful % can ONLY be looked at and discussed when those other factors are known!

It stands to reason that if you get twice the exposure, it would result in twice the sales.
If you're talking about growing your marketplace exposure (like your DG and BW), then you are wrong. Domainer marketplace sales are only one part of sales (thankfully, since I don't even have my own marketplace up yet but am still making good sales). Many sales come through landers, Established communal marketplaces (Afternic/Sedo) and WhoIs information (I've had a few very nice sales simply because my info wasn't hidden) .. some people also do outbound, but that's an extra that should go beyond their theoretical 2% that they should sell though conventional non-outbound means.

What you might say is that twice the exposure would get you double the sales for your marketplace portion of sales. That in no way doubles your total overall sales.

I also think "price" and "terms" have a lot to do with increased sales as well.
Not sure what sort of terms you're referring to, but the best way to increase sales is to get better names or reduce your prices! All other potential gimmicks and simplification are virtually irrelevant if you have a domain a buyer actually wants to acquire!

Employing the KISS principle, and while all my domains are "hand registered" I'm setting just one price for "domains" and another price for "brand names". What I've noticed about most of the marketplaces is that prices are all over the place. I understand the reasoning behind it, but it creates a level of confusion with a "end user" consumer that's not necessary imho.
If all your domains are equally garbage, then I suppose listing them at the same price is fine! lol
But as I've said before .. even you have some decent domains (surprise .. lol) .. if you price them like the rest of your garbage then you are losing money .. or if you price your garbage at the same price as your decent domains then they will have vastly below 1% chance of selling.

Also .. I'm pretty sure the average person open to spending $2000+ on a domain can grasp the concept that better domains are in more demand and thus command a higher price. People like yourself who have no grasp of the economic principle known as "supply and demand" are thankfully the exception!

Also also ... the single price marketplace has been done before (I'm sure some still exist). While they most certainly could have a slight benefit from price simplicity .. as I just mentioned, they most certainly lose money on not maximising their best domains. So again we get back to the fact that percentage isn't an important factor on an individual domainer level. It most certainly could be that they make more sales by volume .. so indeed they are doing something active to successfully improve their percentage ... but at the end of the day they might actually be making less money if they are underselling their best assets! This is a crucial fact you continue to completely overlook!

Finally, once my sites for DomainGourmet and BrandWik are developed, I plan on strategically developing email marketing strategies and industry specific trade show strategies to get more exposure. To give you an example....i own a domain, Johnson.homes that i hand reg'd for just $10. I know there are literally hundreds if not thousands of builders and realtors around the world with the last name Johnson, some of who would luv to own the domain Johnson.homes.
I just love how you continuously try to make it seem like you came up with an entirely new and fresh idea to make you seem like some sort of genius! lol ... What you are talking about is OUTBOUND! Try doing a little search for the term .. I'm sorry to burst your bubble .. but you did not invent the concept! lol

That said .. as I (and many countless others in the past) have said, outbound most certainly can help improve sales numbers. I think some of your grandiose plans (trade-show kiosks+flight+costs+etc) might end up costing you more than you profit (particularly based on some of the poor quality names you shared in the past) .. but I'm not going to give a blanket thumbs down on such ideas, as each one is pretty unique and it would be wrong to give a generalised thumbs up or down without all the details and costs etc.

In general though .. if done smart and efficiently, outbound will increase your sales. But there is the cost of time involved and whatever else you spend to promote/showcase.

All that's needed is exposure, and that's what I plan to provide.....make sense?
While it might seem like it makes sense .. you're not saying anything remotely new or innovating. Remember there are costs associated with everything .. and often what initially seems like making sense at first .. ends up losing you a lot of cents in the long run!

.What I find interesting is that some businesses with deplorable names succeed, while businesses with great names fail.....go figure. I just finished writing this for a friend:
I love how you find a very basic and well established fact as "interesting"! Plus I actually went into depth about it above! lol ... Seriously .. the name of a company isn't everything. Particularly in the past. Old time B2B names are almost all garbage (lots of LLL+Industry.com type names .. yawwwn)! With both globalisation and the digitisation of global commerce (potential for viral marketing explosions), it has become significantly more important!

You continue to flaunt that you successfully named 19 businesses in the past .. but the "interesting" fact is that the success of those businesses likely had very little if not anything to do with your choice of name! I'm glad that you finally seem to see that as fact (even if you don't necessarily understand why .. lol).

The bottom line is .. that even today .. the success of a company hinges VASTLY more on the demand/quality of their product/service more than anything else (including their brand).

I actually connected with Andrew R. their CEO about a year ago and your idea is worth exploring. I actually own a domain; DomainScoring.com that if developed properly could be beneficial to the entire industry.
Thanks for the idea(y)
What a surprise .. more name dropping! lol .. btw .. MO already offer an evaluation service!
Curious .. What did you and Drew talk about?

Last edited:
•••
You not need 1000 domains for sale at higher price...in fact my count is.....in how long time you register 500 domains??....500 x 8 =4000....so stop register save the money .... from the first 1000 dollars saved you can now search to buy something with a value higher than all the domains that are free, at least 99% of the time
There are many different ways to succeed in life and business....been there done that dozens of times. I don't doubt you can succeed doing it your way, but I may have a better way:xf.wink:

You sound like a solo practitioner/domainer and that's just fine. I tend to surround myself with like minded people who are passionate like me....success is out there to be had.....CATCH IT:xf.grin:
All of this discussion was simply to say this? WOW .. AMAZING ... what a total revelation !!! If only the domain industry already knew about this and fixed it we would be making 10x our sales!
(Just because you don't seem to ever understand anything let me be clear I'm being sarcastic)

I seriously seriously can't believe you've waited all this time only to state the totally obvious! You are aware that millions upon million are spent each year on new platforms and marketplace advertising in hopes of getting more eyes on their portfolios? Why do you think BrandBucket or all the other similar marketplaces started?

Did it ever occur to you that this "problem" is actually what allows us to be domainers in the first place?

Seriously .. while on one hand bringing more domain awareness to the general population would get us more buyers .. it would also cost considerably more. Why do you think HugeDomains keeps buying more and more domains? It's because they have enough traffic and such a huge marketplace that it makes them (and more specifically their marketing spend) more efficient. They can afford to bid higher than the rest of us because they are more efficient at selling because of their size.

Over the years there are tons of domainers who have tried to be more efficient in getting their portfolios more visibility .. most not successfully .. while other most certainly have been successful for numerous reasons .. they are the ones making money in this industry! (You remember .. the ones who sell over ~2% who you called me a liar for having said even existed ... lol)

Did you ever stop to consider the bigger picture as well? Maybe most "end users" never see most of our aftermarket domains because they are "end users"? By their very definition then are not involved in the domain industry. It's no mystery as to why either. In their lives they only need to buy one or a small number of domains. Otherwise they are focused on running a business .. most end users have no interest, or more importantly, no time to go and learn about domains. They just want a good digital business address and then get on with the business of running a business!

Plus .. AS I ALREADY MENTIONED ABOVE .. there most certainly ways to improve industry visibility and awareness .. but there is significant cost involved ... and not only that .. but we're talking about changing the current levels (which for argument's purpose we're all calling ~2%) by maybe 5-10% .. bringing an industry average to 2.1-2.2% .. nothing even at the same scale of the 20% you seem to be hinting towards.

WOW .. lmao .. again .. seriously .. you've made us wait all this time for this ??? We already know this .. you are not saying anything new at all .. and the fact you think you are just shows how little understanding you have of so-called domainers and the industry! lol

Actually ... I didn't .. but I'm glad you laughed .. hope you laughed as hard as I did at most of his flip-flopping so-called statements! lol

Ahh .. yet more name-dropping to make yourself look good. More big plans that lead to absolutely nothing .. lol. Again .. it's fine to dream big ... but until you get big results, you might want to listen more than you lecture!

lol .. just like someone else said they were doing a few weeks ago!? Gotta give you credit for all your so-called unique ideas! ;)
Again Ategy....i don't have the time nor do I really care to read all your BS. I could make the comment "The Sun will come up tomorrow", and you could write a thousand page book disputing it:xf.rolleyes:

I'm going to give you just one COMMON SENSE example why you're WRONG about the number of businesses needing the kinds of domains the likes of this industry has hoarded:xf.confused:. Take the real estate and homes industry as an example....how many realtors, agents, home builders and contractors create and buy their own domains direct from a registrar like GD? You or I can do a survey, but I can make an educated guess that's it's at least twice as many, and maybe 10X as many. There are lots of reasons why they may register their own domains and not buy yours or mine, but it's simply a FACT they do.

How many realtors do you know Ategy? How many home builders do you know? How many actual business owners do you know? I think you and Snoopy have led a pretty sheltered life, so I can understand your naivety:xf.frown:

Life itself is FULL of opportunity, and unlike you Ategy, I see the glass as half FULL(n), not half empty:xf.eek:

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back