Dynadot

Dedicated server ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hey everyone,

the last few days i have been looking into dedicated servers...
it doesn't have to be a top notch one, because all i want to do is run a website on it , that has a forum script ....

i'm not sure on the monthly budget.

another thing is , i know my way around linux.. but mostly graphical mode...
is it better to choose a windows server then?

please if someone could give some advice to a newbie on server renting i would appreciate it.

Jurrie

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If all you're going to do is run a website with a forum, you really don't need a dedicated server. Unless your site is going to be getting thousands of visitors a day, it'll be a waste of money.

If you are still going to go with a dedicated server, I would choose linux (even though i'm a .net developer) due to the cost difference and availability of open source software and scripts.

Best of luck

•••
Yes, I would go with shared hosting. My go-daddy shared hosting was getting 3,000 uniques a day and held up very well. They use quad core processors. Actually, now that I think about it, it was a VPS. You can get a VPS for like 30-40$ and have full control of your machine... install programs.. etc.. just like you were at your linux box. I am NOT promoting godaddy because I have mixed reviews of their services.

But yeah, If all you want is to host a website/forum.. i'd get something cheeap.

•••
there's no forum that started huge unless it's a bought forum site, start small and then work you way up.

•••
if you're starting out a new forum, then shared hosting should be enough. at most go for a vps, but a dedicated server would be over the edge imo.

•••
I would suggest to give a try on severpronto which has got very cheap dedicated server packages.

•••
I think that you'd better get in touch with webhosting companies representatives here on Namecheap: Polurnet.com Ihubbnet.com Serverpoint.com
I saw their postings here. I think that it would be great to contact them as part of community to help not as certain dedicated provider.

•••
the reason i posted this question , was to get independed answers,
cause off course when you ask a dedicated provider, they will tell you a server is ok for only 1 website with a forum :)

i couldn't decide what to do, but i guess using a shared hosting is indeed the best solution for starters. and i can spend the budget from the dedicated on advertising :)

thx to everyone who made a reply here.

•••
jurrie said:
the reason i posted this question , was to get independed answers,
cause off course when you ask a dedicated provider, they will tell you a server is ok for only 1 website with a forum :)

i couldn't decide what to do, but i guess using a shared hosting is indeed the best solution for starters. and i can spend the budget from the dedicated on advertising :)

thx to everyone who made a reply here.
I think you may use forum software from ServerPoint.com as this company offers them a lot. Which one do you need? This company is highly optimized for different web applications. Why not use services from them?

•••
I'd recommend server4sale.com

•••
Shared, semi-dedicated, VPS...you still get lots of options to go for before getting a dedicated server.
Still there are dedicated deals under $100 and even cheaper, but clear that won't be a high-end dedicated server. There are such deals among ahosting.biz dedicated offers.

•••
Shared and semi dedicated is one group and VPS and dedicated is other one do not mix them up.
Any way do not sign up for something huge if there ar a posibility to get smaller account

Last edited:
•••
i think share hosting is best for u if u want to run forum

•••
I think that you need to start with shared account. For new forumd that would be more then enough. And then jump from one level to other: shared - VPS - dedicated. And choose company by that (which offers all that kinds of web hosting). I suggest you have a look at Globaltap.com for that.

•••
james2002 said:
I would suggest to give a try on severpronto which has got very cheap dedicated server packages.
I know there are cheap serverpronto.com deals below $60, thery work in the same price range as ahosting.biz, but these are low-end deals, and high-end VPS deals are better.

•••
I would recommend starting off with a shared host and see how that goes. If your forum expands and requires more resources then I would upgrade to a VPS since it will be cheaper. I would go with a host that offers good shared hosting and VPS as well so whenever you need to migrate it's a lot easier.

•••
I dont know if anyone else has used http://corenetworks.net/dedicated/

I have there $24 plan $69 setup linux server
Its a dedicated server 512K mem 80gig HD
1000 gb bandwidth per month

they are sold out right now, but check back

right now they have the $49 dedicated server

I am very happy with them.....There was a server failure 10 days after I started the service Jan ?
But has been fine ever since......

Good Support........

I had them load the ubuntu server 7.04 and them I loaded the webmin web
admin program.........

I wish they had a affiliate plan....

A suggestion if anyone is thinking of getting a dedicated server....

load Linux Ubuntu server 7.04 on a local machine to play with and get use to before ordering a Linux dedicated server.....

Last edited:
•••
•••
111111z, I think that is ok situation for big company.
@OP: I think that you was suggested somewhere t go with dedicated server. I think that you'd better have quick look at adv forums here. I did. And I recommend you have a look at HQHost.net . They have nice budget dedicated. And I have seen their representative around, so that is possible to get in touch quickly

•••
Waiter said:
111111z, I think that is ok situation for big company.
@OP: I think that you was suggested somewhere t go with dedicated server. I think that you'd better have quick look at adv forums here. I did. And I recommend you have a look at HQHost.net . They have nice budget dedicated. And I have seen their representative around, so that is possible to get in touch quickly
Or contact the host directly.

•••
111111z said:
also beware of serverpronto.com from what I have read

check out the Better Business Bureau website for serverpronto
grade is F

http://www.bbbsoutheastflorida.org/...ReportPage_Expository.aspx?CompanyID=23007189

it seems when you want to end the service they make you send in a copy of your drivers license and a copy of your credit card front and back.
Some people dont like having to do that.

FYI

Thanx for warning!
Besides I think a high-end VPS is better than a low-end dedicated, Jaquarpc.com, GlobalTap.com and HostV.com VPS deals are excellent in terms of RAM, disk space and bandwidth.

Last edited:
•••
Don't buy dedicated server unless you need it IMO. And you'll KNOW when you need it (your host will suspend your shared account)

•••
You really don't need a Dedicated Server just yet if its just a forum. Start off Shared.

•••
•••
yep get a shared, or you can get dedicated for 39.95 a month also.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back