IT.COM

advice .DE is greater than .COM and Dashes are in!

NameSilo
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
I just spent a week in Germany, somehow after traveling Internationally pretty regularly for 15+ years I never made it there. The world is a big place and given that Sonos had a separate office and team for Europe (I focused on Asia, Australia, and Latin America) Germany never made it on my itinerary.
dot-de-domains-1.jpg
Another thing I noticed in Germany is a strong interested in domains with dashes in them. We had coffee at a popular coffee shop called Einstein Kaffee, honestly they’re everywhere, like Starbucks in the US (or at least in Berlin they were). I was surprised to see that...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think Germany may be only nation in the world who likes hyphenated names. Long ago I made the error of reg'ing several when SEO experts said a dash helps search engines, which today is very doubtful.

The ONLY inquiries I ever received on my hyphen .com names all came from Germany over the years but zero sales. Iv'e even got inquiries on misspelled hyphens! Anyone know why they are popular in DE?

P.S. interesting user name.

Last edited:
•••
I read this already on Morgan Linton's blog...

I know @News covering all things related to domaining...

But it is an article published more than 15 days ago...

I mean it will be great if the threads are started with very recent articles...

Just my opinions...

I got to know some good info though this...

Thanks

•••
This the story of an American citizen baffled that ccTLDs are dominant in many countries outside America :)

•••
This the story of an American citizen baffled that ccTLDs are dominant in many countries outside America :)
haha ...exactly

•••
The understanding about Germans preference for hyphens in domains has been accepted for years, nothing new there.

Probably comes down to their desire for clarity in domain names.

If Germany had created the internet system, each domain name would require
Subject heading - Chosen hyphenated wording - year of creation - EU compliance certificate number

Last edited:
•••
•••
The understanding about Germans preference for hyphens in domains has been accepted for years, nothing new there.

Probably comes down to their desire for clarity in domain names.

If Germany had created the internet system, each domain name would require
Subject heading - Chosen hyphenated wording - year of creation - EU compliance certificate number

you got it ;)

•••
German words are so long that the hyphens between (german) words help me not to get lost during typing it into the browser :)

•••
it's the natural way of typing for a german

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back