DAN will now allow you to publish sales data or keep private

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
DAN (an advertising partner) announced they updated their privacy policy regarding the posting of domain sales data. You can go into your settings and choose your preference. Great move on their part, let the customer decide and those who want more data out there can now provide that. [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What that setting says - the box is unticked by default - is:

Sales privacy settings
Would you like to publish your sales or keep them private?

By enabling this option we will not publish or share your sales on our marketplace (our public pages like our homepage and blockchain explorer) or to any third parties.

Does anyone find that confusing?

This new option is very welcome and had been discussed quite a bit before in the Undeveloped/Dan.com thread on here.

•••
Awesome! If a seller enables this feature - Will we see how much the domain was sold for in dan's homepage?

•••
•••
Dan should remove 'last time seller was online' information from listings.

Why is this on? I have a lot of my domains forwarding to Dan, but if i don't log in for (say) 5 days+, it may put a potential buyer off clicking 'buy it now' or making an offer as it looks like I don't log-in much.

Last edited:
•••

Why is this on? I have a lot of my domains forwarding to Dan, but if i don't log in for (say) 5 days+, it may put a potential buyer off clicking 'buy it now' or making an offer as it looks like I don't log-in much.

Good point, some might think you are not always available.

•••
Was waiting for something like this

•••
Great move on their part, let the customer decide and those who want more data out there can now provide that.

Actually it looks like the opposite - they are now offering a setting whereby you can stop them from publishing to the front page of the site and stop them publishing to the blockchain, both of which they had previously imposed without advance knowledge or consent of users. So the only new feature seems to be a partial ability to keep sales private, but the fact that a domain sold at Dan.com is forever visible at urls of the pattern dan.com/buy-domain/example.com
example at https://www.namepros.com/threads/da...-official-thread.1148567/page-70#post-7821167

Dan.com's privacy policy has not changed since 2018 and does not mention "publish":
https://dan.com/legal/privacy-policy

Last edited:
•••
Yes, all data was always visible.
Now we just have the option to hide it.

•••
•••
You can in your settings select which information you want to appear. No one needs to include that.

•••
Any 3rd party was always able to parse DAN blockchain feed and publish those sales...
Like Sedo feed.
Thats not true. They do not reveal the sale amount. I thought they start revealing it now. I hope they will

•••
I thought they start revealing it now. I hope they will
No, this is just Privacy option to hide your transactions completely.

Last edited:
•••
Finally. Cant argue with More transparency for the industry. Love this!

Thanks @DAN.COM and @LaszloSchenk!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Cant argue with More transparency for the industry.
This news/option is about PRIVACY.
NOT about transparency.

•••
This news/option is about PRIVACY.
NOT about transparency.

If you chose to publish sales, PRIVACY OFF

You are MORE TRANSPARENT by default.

Dan never gave option before. More options flexibility is good.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Yes, all data was always visible.
Now we just have the option to hide it.
You only have the option to hide the front page feature and the blockchain entry. The domain will still say SOLD for anyone to see, even after DNS change you can confirm - indefinitely if not forever - that the domain was sold at Dan.com by going to the url dan.com/buy-domain/example.com which says example.com has been sold.

So there really is no option to keep a sale at Dan.com private.

•••
I have checked my sold domains using the mentioned URL...
And I see: The domain name example.tld has been deleted.
So "SOLD" is visible only for pending sales.

Last edited:
•••
To prevent such "SOLD" banners via direct URLs...
For already closed sales - on Dashboard click on your sold domain and then click "Delete".

•••
I have checked my sold domains using the mentioned URL...
And I see: The domain name example.tld has been deleted.
So "SOLD" is visible only for pending sales.

To prevent such "SOLD" banners via direct URLs...
For already closed sales - on Dashboard click on your sold domain and then click "Delete".

Hi thanks for that info. When a domain is sold it leaves your >Portfolio listing and you can no longer find it or manage it there at all, as far as I know. I thought it was 100% gone from the account.

>Dashboard >Activity >Example.com >Delete is presumably the path to delete that you are describing? I had no idea that was still there - not sure about deleting it as it does keep some records of sale and price, but an invoice would be good enough I guess.

•••
Hi thanks for that info. When a domain is sold it leaves your >Portfolio listing and you can no longer find it or manage it there at all, as far as I know. I thought it was 100% gone from the account.

>Dashboard >Activity >Example.com >Delete is presumably the path to delete that you are describing?
Exactly.
I always do it.

•••
One thing not getting mentioned is buyer privacy. There seem to be no options for that. By default any sale is published to blockchain, to front page, to landing page, and to dan.com/buy-domain/example.com, though seller can opt out of the first two via Settings and, if they know it and think of it and have worked out how, can correct the second two.

But fixing the landing page must be done before pushing the domain, and Dan or the buyer could change DNS back to Dan.com and so show the SOLD landing page again.

Sedo for example lets buyers spec that sale is private - I have seen that in transfer centre page. So if a company or person wants to buy in stealth mode, they could get a real shock at Dan.com - and not want to buy there again.

Interestingly, I can see no option at Namebio @Michael to search for domains sold at Dan.com - is there an agreement between the two to not list Dan.com sales, even if individuals try to report them to Namebio? Ditto Dnjournal? @Ron Jackson

Last edited:
•••
Sedo for example lets buyers spec that sale is private
Your point about buyer privacy option at DAN is a good one, although it should be noted that Sedo do charge an additional fee for privacy.

Last edited:
•••
Your point about buyer privacy option at DAN is a good one, although it should be noted that Sedo do charge an additional fee for privacy.
No, Sedo do NOT charge for privacy on sales - that myth keeps coming back. ToS let Sedo charge 2.5% for privacy on brokerage only - see
https://sedo.com/uk/what-we-offer/price-list/

You can globally set all your sales at Sedo to be private, no charge for that.

I don't think any platform charges for privacy of sales. Some do not publish sales at all.

Sometimes a company, or person, wants to acquire domains quietly for a later project, or without people noticing they are buying certain keywords or groups of words - that could reveal a project or put prices up on domains they intend to acquire.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back