Dynadot

DAN changes invoice/transaction/VAT process! [They act now as seller to your buyer]

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domainication

Top Member
Impact
I noticed today that all my DAN landers are showing VAT informations like for example:

1689367870195.png

I was a bit confued because of the VAT law of my country i'm not allowed to charge any VAT.
So i checked the settings in my account which are still set the correct way:

1689367974990.png

And after that i requested their support about that and they told me something interesting:

[..]Dan is now listed as the Seller on any transaction. Since we are a Dutch company and VAT registered, we charge VAT to relevant EU buyers.

They changed the way they handle sales like afternic do for severel years now.
DAN acts now as the seller. And when you sell a name you sell it to DAN (and they sell it in their name to the buyer).
So it is not about if YOU are in need to charge VAT to a customer anymore. Its about them now and they are a EU company.

I mean, at one view it's okay for me. Now i only have to use one creditor to send invoices to.

The bad thing is that EU customers will now charged with VAT which they were not before (based on your own situation). Hmm..

1689369048852.png

Did you knew about that? I haven't read anything about it in their last Newsletters.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's been 24h since Future Sensors tagged DAN, and this isn't a new topic, I'm sure they have seen it before. No reply though. The confusion is obvious and we already investigated and discussed quite a lot, imagine someone that signs up at the platform.
There is no transparency and it isn't obvious how much private sellers are really receiving after sales, that is a fact. This should be clear as water, not open to discussion.
Even I am not sure what is the rate of VAT charged on the case I asked. Write actual numbers, not lose sentences that may be open to interpretation.

Again I say, another platform that used to be good, ruined after Godaddy's acquisition... just days after Uniregistry/DomainNameSales full shutdown. Uniregistry worked fine and they even sent me rum cake. Now all but a memory. Soon DAN will be a shadow of what it used to be.

If you are a private seller/buyer living in EU, stay away from DAN, you have much better options that have lower, clear fees and don't have VAT charges.

Sell your domains directly to buyers, don't sell domains to middleman, opening doors for arbitrage (reselling for higher prices) when investors start demanding further growth.
Be sure that the BIN you set is what potential buyers are seeing everywhere, not them collecting leads (domains switching to "In Review" status for no reason, etc), not partners asking for more money than your BIN, otherwise even your sales will be affected.

I'm done with DAN, closed.

Last edited:
•••
Quit complaining.

If you use an outside party to sell your domains you’ve agreed to get screwed. Just like you use X and they steal your handle…

If you don’t like it, sell via your own outlet.

•••
•••
@Keith Who are you to tell me what to do? I do sell via my own outlet, I only sold a single domain at DAN via a lead I uploaded and brought there. I never needed them, and was a mistake I ever set any BINs there in the past and forgot to remove because they never had any relevance for my business, that was solved this week.

We are talking about changes that were made last month and fees that were and are still not clear for some sellers (as my conversation with their support showed). If you have nothing to contribute, don't bother others. If you think we should be screwed (your words) because we signed up at a marketplace, I have nothing else to add.
Several people thanked me for alerting to this issue, here and by DM, so any low content negative remarks are meaningless.

Last edited:
•••
@Keith Who are you to tell me what to do? I do sell via my own outlet, I only sold a single domain at DAN via a lead I uploaded and brought there. I never needed them, and was a mistake I ever set any BINs there in the past and forgot to remove because they never had any relevance for my business, that was solved this week.

We are talking about changes that were made last month and fees that were and are still not clear for some sellers (as my conversation with their support showed). If you have nothing to contribute, don't bother others. If you think we should be screwed because we signed up at a marketplace, I have nothing else to add.
You sold on a third party platform. Accept the reality and stop crying.

•••
It's time to rethink what we mean when we talk about “GD / Dan aftermarket.”

•••
It's time to rethink what we mean when we talk about “GD / Dan aftermarket.”
DAN is only marketplace, not aftermarket with the strict meaning of course

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back