IT.COM

discuss DAN or EFTY?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
can't decide..

Given the option, which one would you choose?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think both are good. If you prefer to conduct and close your sales yourself Efty fits that, but if you prefer someone else does it DAN is good. A few domains you do not see selling for a long time more economical on DAN since no monthly fee, but a large portfolio with good sell through rate at good prices Efty may be more economical since no commissions.
Bob

•••
Perhaps it is useful to ask a few questions before deciding.
  1. How many sales do you anticipate making per year, and how big is your portfolio? Do you expect to mainly use PayPal or Escrow if at Efty. Then plug the commission, subscription, etc. charges in a spreadsheet and compare the numbers for you.
  2. Re the landers, I like the clean appearance of DAN a lot and agree they build trust (I have almost half my portffolio on DAN landers). That being said, the EFTY ones offer more design choices and customization features. Would you use those? Efty has bullet-point options. Do you like those?
  3. I disagree with those who say Efty are ugly (sorry I try not to be disagreeable :xf.cool:) but what I do agree is that you can readily make Efty ones look ugly, whereas the standard ones on DAN protect you from yourself. Why not try Efty free for a month and see how you like them and how you do design wise?
  4. Do you like long descriptions? Do you like bullet points? DAN allow longer descriptions, but no support for bullet points, while Efty have easy to modify bullet points, but restrictions on description length (that may be positive to protect you from yourself).
  5. How important is information on buyer to you? Some like to negotiate differently with different people, etc. While you will interact with the customer via DAN it is through them and anonymously.
  6. Are the management tools within Efty valuable to you? It is rather elegant how easy it is to enter and get the data re registrar, expiry date, etc. all presented in Efty. Also tons of stats on how you are doing financial wise and portfolio stats. But if you already are perfectly happy with software or spreadsheets you use for this, it might not matter.
  7. How much time do you have? How easy do you want the process? I find DAN the fastest of any option I have used (that includes Sedo, Afternic, DAN, Efty in past, Namecheap Marketplace, NameSilo, Epik Marketplace, Dynadot) to actually get listed or change details of a listing, It is so intuitive.
  8. Do you want basic analytics easy or more sophistication with more work? With Efty you can integrate Google analytics with either your Efty marketplace, or with each domain individually, but it is of course more work but yields more than the simple number of visits on DAN.
  9. Do you want someone to handle the transfer or do it yourself?
  10. Are you planning to use payment plans?
As others have mentioned, these are not the only options available. Dynadot are easy to set up and while darker images than I like, they do look professional (not sure of their policy re incoming links presentation and age as that is not always relevant information). I really like how the NameSilo marketplace landers look (#3 is my favourite design in their choices) - I would rank them with DAN in professional appearance. The flexibility of being able to make essentially mini sites with links in Epik is industry changing in my opinion. You can have it all: images, media, social media interaction, links, bullet lists, formatting, etc. But are you ready to put that effort in.

Bob

•••
I go with Dan for smoother and faster transactions

•••
These seem to be a little different animal and to decide between the two, it helps if you've actually used both of them. I'm using both. Paid efty account, about 70 domains at Dan to try them out.

Dan is easy to setup, pretty smooth, no cost unless you sell a domain etc.

Efty is a little more robust. I'm good with handling the deals myself, usually less commission. I have a $5,000 deal I started today thru Escrow.com, using the Concierge service where I'm paying all fees, it'll be 6.5%, less if I did it myself, even less if I made the buyer pay the fees. Had another $2,500 using Escrow.com Concierge where it was only 3.2%.

Dan has 1 landing page, a great one. Efty has many, more choice.

I like having a marketplace url. Somebody asks me what I do for a living, I say go to (mysite).com, where you can see all my domains.

Does Dan have this option somewhere? I did not dig too deep into it, just trying the landing pages out.

Getting some good sales thru Efty.

End of day, if whatever you're using is working for you and you're happy with it, that's what matters.

•••
Efty is far better since you get inquiry details like email, phone and zero commission!

•••
I prefer DAN.

Efty landing pages are ugly and don't instill any trust in the buyer. Also this nonsense about no commissions with Efty is bogus, because if you're paying a commission with Escrow (if that's who you choose to use)

•••
I like DAN because I can easily see how much traffic I am getting - I cant see that on Efty unless Im not looking in the right place.
I like to know how much traffic I see after I send out emails or tweets to see whats working

•••
DAN - for smooth and hassle-free handling of the deal.

•••
Efty is far better since you get inquiry details like email, phone and zero commission!

I strongly prefer DAN.COM over Efty and I am fine with the low DAN commission and feel that it is well-deserved since the DAN platform is excellent. However a DAN negative to me is not giving any inquiry details (sometimes only a first name) which info is extremely important so you may be able to figure out if offer is from someone with deep pockets or not, and also increased chance of a sale by calling, emailing and texting.

That way you can adjust BIN price. i.e. 25k if a Sr VP of Apple Computer or a Bank President vs 5k BIN for a small business for example.

A place like domainnamesales shares all inquiry details if they are the broker or it is self-brokered by you it makes no difference, a big plus for UNI.

P.S. regarding EPIK at first glance to me and with only a few names there it seems to be more complex and far less user friendly vs DAN who I rank #-1 but also think EPIK is good with some advanced features and the fact Epik is a registrar and DAN is not is a plus for Epik.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Just found this thread while looking for a comparison of Efty and DAN as landing pages. I have used Efty and I am now switching to DAN for the following reasons:

1. I like the standard DAN landing page. I think it is very personable by showing a company rep to the end buyer.
2. I don't want to take time to customize an Efty landing page. I have used a few of them, and I prefer the DAN standard landing page.
3. A horrible experience with Escrow.com for a recent Efty sale. I would rather have it all handled for me and pay the 9%.
4. If I get a buyer through DAN, it's a win as opposed to GD/Afternic which will take 20% commission.

I may still use the Efty dashboard for domain analytics, but I am hoping to see better results using the DAN landing pages and sales process.

•••
•••

I have tried them all dan.com is better for me doing far more deals and its fine with the commission as i add that on to the price :xf.smile:

•••
I have tried them all dan.com is better for me doing far more deals and its fine with the commission as i add that on to the price :xf.smile:

if you many domains efty is very expensive

•••
Efty have a nice Google Analytics integration:

"Get Google Analytics Stats Without Leaving Efty.

Because we all know how important having the right data is to make the right decisions we already built a Google Analytics integration back in 2016. When you’ve set up this integration you already know how much traffic your For-Sale landing pages and/or marketplace are getting and where exactly those visitors are coming from. But wouldn’t it be awesome if you could get a quick snapshot of your visitors stats right within your Efty account? As of today, you can! It’s super easy to activate. All you need to do to is go to Reports > Google Analytics in the main navigation of the application and click the orange “Access Google Analytics” button."

https://blog.efty.com/2018/10/11/get-google-analytics-stats-without-leaving-efty/

That is a lot of work for something I can get out of the box at DAN.

•••
•••
Never tried Efty. Dan is great , but to me, Epik is even greater and I am planning to transfer all my domains to Epik. Rob and his team are doing a great job. The landing page is fantastic ,clear and straightforward. I see Epik as a game changer and a revolutionary platform that will be soon the leading platform for the global domain name market . Register, buy, sell , list, transfer in or out easily , quickly and securely , and most importantly available useful data and information , and good registration and services prices.

Last edited:
•••
@CobraKai
The spam is separate from legit inquiries, so that's not a problem for me. What bugs me is that spammers can still use the contact form, when it's obvious they're scammers. Efty has no way of filtering them out, that's my complaint.

My reason to give efty another try (I paid for one month), was I wanted to add an extra layer of exposure. Experience tells me, the only 2 places (that I know of) that get inventory searches are, Afternic and Sedo. The rest are placeholders.

•••
Just found this thread while looking for a comparison of Efty and DAN as landing pages. I have used Efty and I am now switching to DAN for the following reasons:

1. I like the standard DAN landing page. I think it is very personable by showing a company rep to the end buyer.
2. I don't want to take time to customize an Efty landing page. I have used a few of them, and I prefer the DAN standard landing page.
3. A horrible experience with Escrow.com for a recent Efty sale. I would rather have it all handled for me and pay the 9%.
4. If I get a buyer through DAN, it's a win as opposed to GD/Afternic which will take 20% commission.

I may still use the Efty dashboard for domain analytics, but I am hoping to see better results using the DAN landing pages and sales process.

Sorry to hear about the bad experience with Escrow.com. They are one of our payment integrations besides PayPal and Stripe but the great thing about Efty is that you can use any other provider out there to close a deal once you have reached an agreement with a buyer. We have many sellers who use Efty's landing pages for their higher value domains and once they have agreed on a price with a buyer they use a third-party to facilitate the transfer and escrow process. For example, at Dan.com you can import an agreed lead for just 5% and many Efty sellers do that instead of using Escrow.com as the process at Dan.com is a lot faster and without less friction. It's a great way to combine the best of both platforms while saving an additional 4% in commissions.

Spam mail goes into your inquiries at efty. You never receive spam mail at other market places, they're filtered out. Efty sends them to you so you can verify them yourself.

Spammers/scammers never see my email, at least I hope they don't. That would be unforgivable.

Efty is a valid choice for sure, if you want to control every step of the sale process. One option they have is the chat. If you get a lot of real traffic to your domains (as opposed to bots), this can be quite fun. You get to engage with your visitors, which is unique in the marketplace.

For us at Efty, the priority is giving our sellers full access to all inquiries at any time, rather than unintentionally blocking a legit inquiry that otherwise could have resulted in a sale. For this reason, we have a "spam" folder just like Gmail offers its users. These inquiries are not emailed to you, but by going into the folder, you can see each and every one of the inquiries that were "blocked" by our spam-filter software.

Just like with Gmail, you might find a legit inquiry from there from time to time because the sender's IP or email was previously used for spam, but the inquiry for your domain name was legit. Think about the number of legit inquiries you might miss at marketplaces that choose to only provide you with access to inquiries that they have filtered.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
if you many domains efty is very expensive

Yes that's another issue we hold far more than 5,000 domains and the landing pages are not great much prefer dan.com

•••
I like DAN because I can easily see how much traffic I am getting - I cant see that on Efty unless Im not looking in the right place.
I like to know how much traffic I see after I send out emails or tweets to see whats working

Efty have a nice Google Analytics integration:

"Get Google Analytics Stats Without Leaving Efty.

Because we all know how important having the right data is to make the right decisions we already built a Google Analytics integration back in 2016. When you’ve set up this integration you already know how much traffic your For-Sale landing pages and/or marketplace are getting and where exactly those visitors are coming from. But wouldn’t it be awesome if you could get a quick snapshot of your visitors stats right within your Efty account? As of today, you can! It’s super easy to activate. All you need to do to is go to Reports > Google Analytics in the main navigation of the application and click the orange “Access Google Analytics” button."

https://blog.efty.com/2018/10/11/get-google-analytics-stats-without-leaving-efty/

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back