Domain Empire

news Dan.com to increase comission from 9% to 15% effective Feb 1st 2023

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Just received this email from Dan.com about commission increases (snippet of email):

1672844802429.png

Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is GoDaddy planning on fixing any of their issues with this new found windfall of income, especially on the Afternic side?

For instance just doing a spot check I noticed one domain I have priced @ $30,000 on Afternic using BIN landers instead loads the "may be for sale" lander. Some others work fine.

The domain is priced at Afternic and Dan at the same price. If I search either venue I see it listed for that price.

If I search for the domain on GoDaddy it shows that it is available for $34,999.

I have no idea why the Afternic BIN lander is not loading. I have no idea where the $34,999 price is coming from.

That was only one of a handful of domains I spot checked. I don't have the time or energy to manually check thousands of domains.

However, it seems a bit of a statistical unlikelihood that I would have randomly stumbled on the issue, if there was only one.

I would love to understand what is going on here. @Paul Nicks @James Iles

Brad

We should compare notes. :xf.laugh:

Check UNI. If it's not listed there, it could be an old GD auction listing.

•••
We should compare notes. :xf.laugh:

Check UNI. If it's not listed there, it could be an old GD auction listing.
There are too many different systems with orphaned listings.
If you own a large portfolio is it almost impossible to keep up with.

Even if that is the case, how am I supposed to find every orphaned listing?
Also, why is the Afternic BIN lander not loading?

Brad

•••
There are too many different systems with orphaned listings.
If you own a large portfolio is it almost impossible to keep up with.

Even if that is the case, how am I supposed to find every orphaned listing?
Also, why is the Afternic BIN lander not loading?

Brad

Oh, I'm very familiar with orphaned listings.

I do all the work myself, but it's always easier to have your Afternic Rep take care of them. (Especially when they're interfering with the feed.)

As for the Afternic BIN lander, If you're using a Private Firefox browser, I can tell you with absolute certainty that it has never loaded in any private Firefox browser since the roll-out. It's been reported numerous times and nothing has been done about it.

Note: You can see it when you (x) the reload button to stop the page from loading.

After the BIN button fiasco, I don't even bother with them anymore.

•••
Oh, I'm very familiar with orphaned listings.

I do all the work myself, but it's always easier to have your Afternic Rep take care of them. (Especially when they're interfering with the feed.)

As for the Afternic BIN lander, If you're using a Private Firefox browser, I can tell you with absolute certainty that it has never loaded in any private Firefox browser since the roll-out. It's been reported numerous times and nothing has been done about it.

Note: You can see it when you (x) the reload button to stop the page from loading.

After the BIN button fiasco, I don't even bother with them anymore.

I just made a test and it is true Afternic BIN ns5/Ns6 does not load on private Firefox

Oh wow

So we are basically cornered to use GD landers, but the landers themselves are broken!

•••
I just made a test and it is true Afternic BIN ns5/Ns6 does not load on private Firefox

Oh wow

So we are basically cornered to use GD landers, but the landers themselves are broken!
install uBlock origin and test some parking and landers, so many pages are blocked

•••
@James Iles

Does this commission model change also affect the share that Afternic network partners (or Afternic itself) receive on a sale?
Thanks @Future Sensors, to clarify - this commission structure applies to any sale, regardless of whether it's through a Reseller Site, GoDaddy, Afternic, Dan etc.

@James Iles @LaszloSchenk

I am forwarding all my domains to their corresponding landing page: https://dan.com/buy-domain/EXAMPLE.com

I do this because I want to have control over my DNS and set up catch all email so I can see which companies are potentially interested in the domain based on the e-mails (e-mail leakage) I receive.

It's not possible to control DNS if the nameservers are pointing to Dan. But because I forward the domain to their corresponding landing page it's the same as changing nameservers. But I still have to pay 25% commission because of the new nameserver rules?
I completely understand, and it's a question that has been asked to me several times. However, that set up will be on the 25% rate.

Show attachment 229772

Normally I wouldn't ask a question like this, but since the 60K "Old Plan" example appears to include only sales of 5K or less, I feel it's pertinent.

That said, for the sake of absolute clarity, will this "flat rate" commission structure be replacing the tiered commission structure that currently exists?

Flat Rate Parked - 15%
Flat Rate Parked/Brokered/Self Negotiated - 15%
Flat Rate Not Parked - 25%

Edit: What about Partner purchase path sales and Godaddy auction sales?
Thanks for the question - the flat rate fee structure does replace the tiered system.

•••

Oh wow

Can you email me - [email protected] with the domain(s) you've tested this with?

•••
I asked Namecheap on social media if they could, finally, introduce landers (other than the pathetic solution of redirecting to their marketplace listing). Just landers, like Dynadot, NameSilo, Sav, Porkbun, etc. all have.

Their account first told me they would forward it as a suggestion. But then, their CEO Richard Kirkendall replied to my Tweet saying that Spaceship (their new platform in closed beta testing) would have landers. Good news.

He went on to add in a second tweet in the thread:
"What I plan to do at Spaceship is offer domainers registrations, renewals and transfers at cost. No fee for being part of the "club" or whatever. Offer landers and a low percentage on any commissions." It looks like they are approaching it from a domainer friendly way, make the money as a percentage of aftermarket sales, not on the actual domain registrations and renewals. Their current NC Marketplace commission is 10%.

And then someone asked if it would be just for names registered at Namecheap (which is the case for their existing marketplace) and he responded:
"Will be open to all."

So assuming that really means that a domain name registered anywhere can be listed, and that their marketplace is good (the current one is slow at search) this could be significant competition. He also tweeted about advanced technology and software powering Spaceship.

Is anyone in the Beta trial, and if so are they at liberty to share any opinions, or is it NDA restricted?

-Bob

PS Someone asked about commissions on the forthcoming Spaceship. He did not give a figure but said they would probably be flat, ie not tiered, and low.
Is it at Spaceship.com? It would be great to know if someone from NP is on a beta trial and can share their experience. If the registrations, renewals and transfers are at cost then I will definitely move all my domains there and pay a low commission on sales. Hopefully it will launch soon.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks @Future Sensors, to clarify - this commission structure applies to any sale, regardless of whether it's through a Reseller Site, GoDaddy, Afternic, Dan etc.

I completely understand, and it's a question that has been asked to me several times. However, that set up will be on the 25% rate.

Thanks for the question - the flat rate fee structure does replace the tiered system.
Wow, so if someone forwards the traffic directly to the Dan.com lander pages, that is considered a 25% sale?

Someone types in example.com and it goes to the Dan.com lander, and the seller is charged 25%...

What terrible system design.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
It seems people aren't happy.

Attachments

• Afternic.JPG
    Afternic.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 145
•••
It's nice to see Godaddy losing business.
Once you take your business elsewhere, you will never look back and wonder why the hell you ever helped lined their pockets.

Off topic, but recently they added a $50 redemption fee to .uk and co.uk domain names 30 days after they expire. Prior to that there was NO fee and the domain name was just deleted from your account after 100 days (all of this to the best of my knowledge).

I recently lost 1 or 2 domains, because I didn't receive any forewarning, and wasn't going to pay those extortionate fees.

The redemption fee is perhaps ok, but no warning of changes and $50 is just pure greed and excessive.
GD have lost another customer of almost 20 years, and I wont ever be coming back.......

Last edited:
•••
So on any sale over $30K now GoDaddy is charging more commission, on every platform.

$100K Afternic sale before = $11,500.
$100K Afternic sale now = $15,000

$200K before = $21,500
$200K now = $30,000

$500K before = $51,500
$500K now = $75,000

As you can see the higher the price, the more the seller gets ripped off with this change.

I realize most people don't make many sales in this range (myself included), but it is going to turn away people that do.

What is the justification for this exactly? Did GoDaddy bring something new and amazing to the table?

No, they just want to make more money for the same services.
It is just lazy capitalism.

I don't think this is well designed.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
It would be great to know if someone from NP is on a beta trial and can share their experience.
In another thread someone stated they are part of the trial...they also stated they would not share their thoughts.

I would assume NC has a non disclosure clause in the testing agreement.

BTW, I just joined NC in hopes they launch their spaceship soon...I will not EVER pay 25% to anyone just for the privilege of making money off of one of my products (domain).

•••
the seller is charged 25%...

What terrible system design.
I consider it a moral deficit. 25%!!? How can that even be suggested with a straight face? That is a laughably immoral amount to ask. One-quarter of MY asset when they haven't actively outbound-marketed, didn't give me free renewals etc. No skin in the game but claiming a percentage as if they own equity in my asset. GoToHellDaddy!!

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
It's a shame that Namepros haven't got their own model.

Maybe this should/could be seen as an opportunity for them to move forward into that space.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
I think many of you are missing the point in this entire thing.

If you park your names anywhere, or even make it not resolve, most of your sales will come from afternic because of the distribution network and obviously they are part of godaddy.

So the only way you could avoid paying a high fee is to either point to one of the servers they said OR you have to remove your names from afternic, because if they make the sale, you pay the fee higher fee if you didn't point there.

For the longest time I pointed names to dan but the sales came from afternic mostly. Most sales reported here are by afternic.

Domains is in many cases an impulse buy, so you can't just say that remove the price from afternic and don't reply to offers and wait for the buyer to contact you directly, that's just ridiculous for many reasons.

Afternic also has a phone number people can call, this makes a difference for bigger sales. I have been asking they post that number on dan landers.

As upsetting as the structure is, especially for people that use parking or landers to track things, godaddy has everyone by the.... and nothing you can do unless you are ready to sacrifice sales.

I think many will up their prices to offset these fees and this is how inflation leads to hyperinflation. Don't think that godaddy is unique is making pricing adjustments, many companies are doing it. The savings are usually passed on to the consumer.

Domain prices have not kept up with inflation, for years I see the same approximate pricing for premium names, now there will be a reason for many domainers to adjust pricing.

•••
•••
Lol mass exodus already after less that 24 hours

Good job Godaddy
Will be interesting to see what will happen by the end of the month when the changes are in play.

•••
Will be interesting to see what will happen by the end of the month when the changes are in play.

Bodis and Sedo are other options... I've had decent success with both. But under $5k, seems like it may be 15%, so smaller sales may stay with GD

•••
I think many of you are missing the point in this entire thing.

If you park your names anywhere, or even make it not resolve, most of your sales will come from afternic because of the distribution network and obviously they are part of godaddy.

So the only way you could avoid paying a high fee is to either point to one of the servers they said OR you have to remove your names from afternic, because if they make the sale, you pay the fee higher fee if you didn't point there.

For the longest time I pointed names to dan but the sales came from afternic mostly. Most sales reported here are by afternic.

Domains is in many cases an impulse buy, so you can't just say that remove the price from afternic and don't reply to offers and wait for the buyer to contact you directly, that's just ridiculous for many reasons.

Afternic also has a phone number people can call, this makes a difference for bigger sales. I have been asking they post that number on dan landers.

As upsetting as the structure is, especially for people that use parking or landers to track things, godaddy has everyone by the.... and nothing you can do unless you are ready to sacrifice sales.

I think many will up their prices to offset these fees and this is how inflation leads to hyperinflation. Don't think that godaddy is unique is making pricing adjustments, many companies are doing it. The savings are usually passed on to the consumer.

Domain prices have not kept up with inflation, for years I see the same approximate pricing for premium names, now there will be a reason for many domainers to adjust pricing.
If something works for you don't talk as this will happen to everybody. I didn't sold a domainin the last 2 years at godaddy and 1 year at afternic, but I've sold tens of domains a year in the meantime. 90% of european end users don't care about godaddy and I will think is somewhat the same in most countries, excluding 4-5 of them. Do you really think that a buyer from China thinks about godaddy when buys a domain. Domainers can raise the prices at godaddy/ afternic/dan and keep low prices to their own landers or at sedo/efty and others. Also, you can use make offer at godaddy family, to make sure that you are getting higher prices.

•••
I bet guys from godaddy / dan are reading this now...
guessing, what they might do.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back