IT.COM

DAN.COM Domain Marketplace (Official Thread)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DAN.COM

Domain MarketplaceTop Member
Dan.com Staff
Impact
DAN.COM (formerly known as Undeveloped.com) is on a path to be become the biggest domain marketplace in the world. We use state of the art technology to solve everyday problems buyers and sellers in the domain industry face. At DAN.COM we focus on automating most processes required to buy & sell domains to increase a more efficient and active secondary market for domains.

What sets us apart is our strong focus on product development and customer satisfaction. We leave nothing to chance and every single feature and element we introduce is professionally and carefully designed and built.

DAN.COM is ranked in the top 5 best-rated marketplaces in the world (According to the biggest review platform Trustpilot) and in the domain industry, we're the domain marketplace with the highest rating with an average of 9,4 out of 10 points.

At DAN.COM you will get the highest value for the lowest commission around. Due to our domain transfer automation, we can offer significantly faster handling of domain transactions and payouts (usually within 24 hours) at the lowest fee charged by any domain marketplace.

We've been the first on many fronts and proudly will continue to keep innovating. We were the first to offer optimized for sale pages since 2013, the first to provide payment plans in the form of lease to own and rentals and also the first and only domain marketplace offering free SSL on all domains parked with us for over a year now.

Read more about DAN and our future plans here: https://blog.undeveloped.com/a-big-leap-forward-3a3cc59ed418

This thread is created to act as an informal communication board between the DAN team and the domain community. Feel free to post feedback here and to discuss how you use DAN.

What this thread is not meant for is support. Please contact our support team here: [email protected] when you need assistance.

Previous reviews under old brand: https://www.namepros.com/threads/undeveloped-com-experience.893201/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@DAN.COM do you see decline in sales of european cctlds to individuals and businesses in the eu since the only payment method is in dollars?

•••
The domain hijacker made it a malware page. There's a brief message saying the server certificates are expired and the dates and times are incorrect.
Also consider asking Dan customer service whether they can help intervene with Symantec, to have them remove the Norton Anti-Virus block?

•••
Also consider asking Dan customer service whether they can help intervene with Symantec, to have them remove the Norton Anti-Virus block?
Still working with Dan and Domain.com to resolve the issue. I'm approaching the point of, is the juice worth the squeeze?

Seriously considering letting the domain drop. It's a brandable domain name so it's already a hard (no guarantee) sell.

•••
So what the hell is up with the constant "Temporary Maintenance" notices on Dan?

Is Godaddy slowly incorporating it into the main site?

Last edited:
•••
@DAN.COM and @LaszloSchenk - Pease explain why we can't see the public WHOIS domain expiration date in our domains for sale portfolio on DAN? Just add a column for "expiry date" how hard can this be? It's useful info.

•••
@DAN.COM and @LaszloSchenk - Pease explain why we can't see the public WHOIS domain expiration date in our domains for sale portfolio on DAN? Just add a column for "expiry date" how hard can this be? It's useful info.
Good morning @Maxxo
Thank you for your suggestion! We currently don't have the "expiry date" feature in our plans, but we could consider it in the future. We appreciate your input!

Best regards,
Dan.com

•••
I have suggested this to be added before but they are still thinking if to implement this. OMG!

•••
Thank you for having such a robust and efficient marketplace, one that offers those selling domains the ability to customize the display of the lander very effectively.
What additional level of customization are you able to add to their landers?

•••
Good afternoon @Maxxo,
We'll present this to our product managers for consideration, thank you for your idea!

Best regards,
Dan.com

hi.. I know it can be tricky for u to know this exactly or at all.. but I.gotta ask.... that whole afternic partner network thing..
do we really get identical exposure listing via dan and as we do if we list on afternic... or is dan much more limited cause maybe there is no fast transfer or other reasons? so... identical or less on dan???? please ask around. somebody surely must know

Last edited:
•••
•••
What additional level of customization are you able to add to their landers?
I was making reference to the fact that
  • You can first of all select from the four types of landers.
  • From there you can also customize color (I don't much like their color choices, but you at least have choice).
  • You can apply CamelCase to names of course.
  • If desired, you can add logo.
  • With one of the styles you can upload images. You can also set if the name appears in the image or not.
  • You can add descriptions for your names, if desired. Occasionally this is important if you want to share key information like it is a standard renewal, or renewals are prepaid for 10 years, or even that you have a related name, like the .ai and the matching exampleAI .com, etc.
  • You have a little bit of customization over what you want shown about you (e.g. years as a seller, response time, etc.). I try to keep my response time good and show that.
  • You can select if strict BIN or offer, or combo, and if LTO is displayed, and/or rent.
  • You can with a setting determine whether you want them to be taken to a list of your other names.
  • You can even customize if Dan chat appears or not with your names.
Sure, with most names, most sellers will not use most of these possibilities. But it is nice to have them when desired.

This is one of a number of reasons that I hope Afternic will not be so foolish as to wind down Dan. Dan offers something distinctly different from Afternic.

Thanks for question.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
I was making reference to the fact that
  • You can first of all select from the four types of landers.
  • From there you can also customize color (I don't much like their color choices, but you at least have choice).
  • You can apply CamelCase to names of course.
  • If desired, you can add logo.
  • With one of the styles you can upload images. You can also set if the name appears in the image or not.
  • You can add descriptions for your names, if desired. Occasionally this is important if you want to share key information like it is a standard renewal, or renewals are prepaid for 10 years, or even that you have a related name, like the .ai and the matching exampleAI .com, etc.
  • You have a little bit of customization over what you want shown about you (e.g. years as a seller, response time, etc.). I try to keep my response time good and show that.
  • You can select if strict BIN or offer, or combo, and if LTO is displayed, and/or rent.
  • You can with a setting determine whether you want them to be taken to a list of your other names.
  • You can even customize if Dan chat appears or not with your names.
Sure, with most names, most sellers will not use most of these possibilities. But it is nice to have them when desired.

This is one of a number of reasons that I hope Afternic will not be so foolish as to wind down Dan. Dan offers something distinctly different from Afternic.

Thanks for question.

Bob
I didn't know they had Squadhelp/Atom level of customization. Thanks.

Time to do some domain real estate staging.

•••
Time to do some domain real estate staging.
Want to know something funny? By strange coincidence, prior to your post, I was searching earlier this morning around the topic of 'stage' and 'domains', e.g. checked if stage.domains was available, but it was not.

Yes, compared to SH standard listings there are some similarities to what is possible. But Dan do not have AI generated descriptions, or on demand images like SH, nor do they have keywords associated with the name to guide search, unfortunately. On the positive side, it is way faster to do a quick customization at Dan for a name.

I use and like both Dan and SH landers, and between the two of them they account for the majority of the landers that I use.

-Bob

•••

I have looked over the Settings at Dan and I don't see these options anywhere.

Can you point to exactly how you did this and whether there is a secondary feature (like Domain Store, etc.) or specific Lander you need to enable first?

Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
Can you point to exactly how you did this and whether there is a secondary feature (like Domain Store, etc.) or specific Lander you need to enable first?
It is set for the seller, not on a specific name (but see below). To set it you sign in to Dan, and then under Settings select the For Sale Pages suboption. From that there are pull down options in the Meet the seller box for two bits of information. Also, you must have Meet the seller set to Show Info. The following shows that I have it set to Member since 2017, and Responds within 2 hours, but there are other options one can set.

SettingsDanMeetSeller.jpg

Note that you also have an option at bottom on whether to show bio information about the seller, or to show other names. I have in past sometimes made a different choice, but currently don't show anything.

Note that it depends on the lander you choose for a given name if this information is displayed though. When you select the Brandable as your lander type it will show that information. But if for example you select Standard landers it will not show. I show an example below of mine with these settings. I have blocked out the name of the domain name to be compliant with NamePros rules.

MaskedNameBuyerInfo.jpg

I am not sure how much difference it makes, but it is nice that Dan gives so much choice over lander display. I try to keep signed in regularly to Dan so that the last online will be fairly current. I tend to use Standard lander style on many names, so the information is not displayed on those anyway, but Brandable lander on a number, like this one. I see that many other Dan sellers use the Minimal lander quite often.

I hope this is clear. Feel free to ask if it is not.

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
Are domains parked at Dan.com supposed to be indexed in Google? I thought that was so, and an attractive feature, but now I am not sure they are.

You can check that by googling your domain name in quote marks. If it is not indexed, you might want to check its robots.txt file at example.com/robots.txt to see if indexing is being blocked.

Last edited:
•••
Are domains parked at Dan.com supposed to be indexed in Google? I thought that was so, and an attractive feature, but now I am not sure they are.

You can check that by googling your domain name in quote marks. If it is not indexed, you might want to check its robots.txt file at example.com/robots.txt to see if indexing is being blocked.

If true, mine are not being indexed. That's a real bummer

•••
I am sure that you are correct that they used to be, as I recall checking some and seeing them on Google search.

I tested a number of mine this morning, and got same results as you, they don't seem to show. I wondered if it was something that they would show if there was a description, so tried the literal (" ") search on some text in one of my Dan descriptions but that did not come up.

I have not followed as closely as I should the recent major changes in the Google framework. I think part of that is to treat domain landers as non-informative and not included in results (I may be misinterpreting what I heard). I wonder if that is what we are seeing.

I did also check names that I have at Atom, BrandBucket and BrandPa and they do all still appear in Google search. I don't think Afternic listings ever did appear in Google search. It is not just premium names at Atom, standard listings on my WL marketplace do also still show up. Also, my own (sorry state of development >:() personal website that does have at least one line for each domain does come up in Google search for the names I checked.

-Bob

PS Added strikethrough as what I wrote was not correct. See below from @Future Sensors

Last edited:
•••
It is set for the seller, not on a specific name (but see below). To set it you sign in to Dan, and then under Settings select the For Sale Pages suboption.

Thanks Bob, and I was trying that last night and I guess I missed that grayed-out drop-down that appeared. In fact, I almost missed it again today, even though I knew it should be there.

Last edited:
•••
I don't think Afternic listings ever did appear in Google search.
They do, and are indexed before the redirect to godaddy.com on their own domain. At least for Afternic BIN landers. But no description is shown in Google and it doesn't look appealing.

•••
They do, and are indexed before the redirect to godaddy.com on their own domain. At least for Afternic BIN landers. But no description is shown in Google and it doesn't look appealing.
Thanks for information. Do you know if that is supposed to always happens or if there is some other variable? The reason I asked is I tried two names, and got different results.

I tried an uncommon word .xyz name I have at Afternic BIN and indeed it comes up with the Afternic listing first in Google search results with a description listing the price, basically.

But then I tried a search on a name (a .co, dictionary but not common word) that I also have Afternic BIN as my lander. I have this name also as a standard listing at SH in my WL site, but not pointed there.

When I do a Google search on that second term, after a sponsored link (to the developed .com) at top, the SH listing is first in Google results. Interestingly, another name I have at SH comes up 6th (shares the same early letters of term), and further down there is yet another of my SH WL names in the search results, supposedly because nearby in alphabet. I go through results, then more results, and then got to the even more results than the first 70, but still no link to Afternic or Dan listings, even though name at both.

Of course 2 results are just anecdotes, but I wonder why some do and some do not.

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
I guess I missed that grayed-out drop-down that appeared
Glad you found them. Yes, easy to overlook. I agree the user-interface should make it more obvious that there are choices to be made, and maybe somehow a note to point out that only certain styles of landers are influenced.

•••
I am sure that you are correct that they used to be, as I recall checking some and seeing them on Google search.

I tested a number of mine this morning, and got same results as you, they don't seem to show. I wondered if it was something that they would show if there was a description, so tried the literal (" ") search on some text in one of my Dan descriptions but that did not come up.

I have not followed as closely as I should the recent major changes in the Google framework. I think part of that is to treat domain landers as non-informative and not included in results (I may be misinterpreting what I heard). I wonder if that is what we are seeing.

I did also check names that I have at Atom, BrandBucket and BrandPa and they do all still appear in Google search. I don't think Afternic listings ever did appear in Google search. It is not just premium names at Atom, standard listings on my WL marketplace do also still show up. Also, my own (sorry state of development >:() personal website that does have at least one line for each domain does come up in Google search for the names I checked.

-Bob

PS Added strikethrough as what I wrote was not correct. See below from @Future Sensors

Are NamePros landing pages indexed? The lack of Dan indexing has me slightly concerned. I may consider moving to an alternate lander if I can find something that meets my customization needs (I don't think NP landers do - they don't allow brandable text).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back