Dynadot

DAN.COM Domain Marketplace (Official Thread)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DAN.COM

Domain MarketplaceTop Member
Dan.com Staff
Impact
DAN.COM (formerly known as Undeveloped.com) is on a path to be become the biggest domain marketplace in the world. We use state of the art technology to solve everyday problems buyers and sellers in the domain industry face. At DAN.COM we focus on automating most processes required to buy & sell domains to increase a more efficient and active secondary market for domains.

What sets us apart is our strong focus on product development and customer satisfaction. We leave nothing to chance and every single feature and element we introduce is professionally and carefully designed and built.

DAN.COM is ranked in the top 5 best-rated marketplaces in the world (According to the biggest review platform Trustpilot) and in the domain industry, we're the domain marketplace with the highest rating with an average of 9,4 out of 10 points.

At DAN.COM you will get the highest value for the lowest commission around. Due to our domain transfer automation, we can offer significantly faster handling of domain transactions and payouts (usually within 24 hours) at the lowest fee charged by any domain marketplace.

We've been the first on many fronts and proudly will continue to keep innovating. We were the first to offer optimized for sale pages since 2013, the first to provide payment plans in the form of lease to own and rentals and also the first and only domain marketplace offering free SSL on all domains parked with us for over a year now.

Read more about DAN and our future plans here: https://blog.undeveloped.com/a-big-leap-forward-3a3cc59ed418

This thread is created to act as an informal communication board between the DAN team and the domain community. Feel free to post feedback here and to discuss how you use DAN.

What this thread is not meant for is support. Please contact our support team here: [email protected] when you need assistance.

Previous reviews under old brand: https://www.namepros.com/threads/undeveloped-com-experience.893201/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
u posted 1 month ago and nothing fixed. did they even reply? man what a sheetshow... I visit many names while regging etc.... tons use dan nowadays... and for months now I'm clicking accept cookie like 50 time a day. and swear to God on maybe quarter of those the accept all is not even clickable... so u are stuck... man imagine buyers viewing this sheetshow of a lander and taking up almost whole phone screen too.... I wouldn't use dan landers if they paid me.

That's a negative on the reply here, but I reached out to support last week and they agreed that it's quite cumbersome and relayed the message & screenshots to the product team.

Last edited:
•••
2. Domain listings converted to USD - Our goal is transparency because we believe transparency is key to a better domain world. To enable transparency, we need to align on one listing currency which is used as the basis of conversion for both parties. As of the 7th of July, we will convert all listings to USD at the current market exchange rates. Going forward, USD will become the only currency available for pricing your domains. This allows us to easily convert to the buyer’s local currency while still paying you out in your preferred currency with no surprises.
@DAN.COM I wanted to buy a domain name today and pay in my own local currency (euro) but it was not possible. Bank transfer still said dollar but I don't have dollar account but euro account. Therefore I cannot transfer dollars. Other payment methods like ideal and sofort are not shown. Probably because at checkout euro is not applied.

•••
Thats why also the traffic stats decreased alot at google analytics .
It's weird, in Google Analytics and GA4 the traffic figures are way down and missing for most domains, but viewing traffic stats in the Dan interface they appear similar to before. Can @DAN.COM explain?

•••
It's weird, in Google Analytics and GA4 the traffic figures are way down and missing for most domains, but viewing traffic stats in the Dan interface they appear similar to before. Can @DAN.COM explain?
Yes i mean the traffic in GA4 decreased alot and i think its because most visitors dont press accept for cookies policy and its not reflecting to GA4 !!
The way cookies popup appears it make confuse specialy for organic traffic !

•••
@DAN.COM I wanted to buy a domain name today and pay in my own local currency (euro) but it was not possible. Bank transfer still said dollar but I don't have dollar account but euro account. Therefore I cannot transfer dollars. Other payment methods like ideal and sofort are not shown. Probably because at checkout euro is not applied.
Good morning @td11,

That is correct. As the transaction takes place in USD, Ideal can no longer be offered. Wire transfers are possible and most major banks support auto conversions during the checkout. Alternatively, Paypal can be used for any transaction up to $1500.

All the best,

•••
Yes i mean the traffic in GA4 decreased alot and i think its because most visitors dont press accept for cookies policy and its not reflecting to GA4 !!
The way cookies popup appears it make confuse specialy for organic traffic !

Good morning @lovely4ever,

Thank you for sharing your concern. As always, with any changes taking place on the platform we monitor the outcome continuously. We have noticed no major changes in traffic since the release of the mandatory cookie policy offerings on landing pages. It is something that was inevitable as we are required to offer to these cookies.

Best regards,

•••
we are required to offer to these cookies
Based on various sources, DAN is required to show the warning to EU visitors if and only if non-technical (data collection, cross-site etc) cookies are used. If so, a) DAN is not required to show the warning to non-EU visitors at all AND b) DAN may always stop using any cookies except tecnically necessary cookies [such as login cookies if the user navigates] - so no warning would be required.

•••

Thank you for sharing your concern. As always, with any changes taking place on the platform we monitor the outcome continuously. We have noticed no major changes in traffic since the release of the mandatory cookie policy offerings on landing pages. It is something that was inevitable as we are required to offer to these cookies.

Best regards,

what are u talking about nobody else does this in such horrible persistent almost full screen buggy unclickable way... so your required argument is not educated. if I visit 50 different dan landers per day I'm clicking 40 times cookies.. this is insane and insult to people time. notto mention quarter of those are weirdly bugged and accept button not clickable..
so I'm stuck...close window only... tell me are u in business of making buyers close lander window on lander and a sale? u need to figure this out. u have to be a nutjob to use your landers nowadays. the odds of a sale are milon times bigger if u just send all traffic to txt page that shows seller contact info.

•••

Best regards,
You are monitoring traffic as reported to you by GA4, but that may not be the same figure as traffic reported to additional external GA4 accounts such as those of people parking domains at Dan.com.

The analytics javascript on the landing pages loads two different account IDs - posslbly one is treated differently, through no fault of yours, but if it is established that people listing domains are not getting accurate traffic info, it is right for them to know that as they may otherwise base decisions on incorrect traffic info.

•••
Good morning @td11,

That is correct. As the transaction takes place in USD, Ideal can no longer be offered. Wire transfers are possible and most major banks support auto conversions during the checkout. Alternatively, Paypal can be used for any transaction up to $1500.

All the best,
Hello @DAN.COM

This severely limits the payment options for the buyer. As a buyer on DAN, I have used iDeal several times myself. I do understand the reason why prices and currencies are made identical on the various GoDaddy platforms, but please give the buyer the option to switch between the 3 or 4 major currencies, with the corresponding local payment solutions for their country. The way it works now, is not an improvement.

Last edited:
•••
Official EU currency
The euro is the official currency of 20 European Union countries which collectively make up the euro area, also known as the eurozone.
Parties may also agree to transactions using other official foreign currencies (e.g. the US dollar).

Source: https://european-union.europa.eu/institutions-law-budget/euro/official-eu-currency_en

Principles of European Contract Law
Article 7:108: Currency of Payment
(1) The parties may agree that payment shall be made only in a specified currency.
(2) In the absence of such agreement, a sum of money expressed in a currency other than that of the place where payment is due may be paid in the currency of that place according to the rate of exchange prevailing there at the time when payment is due.

Source: https://www.trans-lex.org/400200

So, since DAN is based in EU, any EU-based buyer may simply disagree to pay in USD, and, in this case, DAN would be required to accept the payment in EUROs, which is both the official EU currency and currency "of the place where payment is due" (Netherlands). The law is the law. In other words, DAN should offer EU-based buyers an option to pay in Euros from the very beginning.

Last edited:
•••
Official EU currency
The euro is the official currency of 20 European Union countries which collectively make up the euro area, also known as the eurozone.
Parties may also agree to transactions using other official foreign currencies (e.g. the US dollar).

Source: https://european-union.europa.eu/institutions-law-budget/euro/official-eu-currency_en

Principles of European Contract Law
Article 7:108: Currency of Payment
(1) The parties may agree that payment shall be made only in a specified currency.
(2) In the absence of such agreement, a sum of money expressed in a currency other than that of the place where payment is due may be paid in the currency of that place according to the rate of exchange prevailing there at the time when payment is due.

Source: https://www.trans-lex.org/400200

So, since DAN is based in EU, any EU-based buyer may simply disagree to pay in USD, and, in this case, DAN would be required to accept the payment in EUROs, which is the currency "of the place where payment is due" (Netherlands). The law is the law. In other words, DAN should offer EU-based buyers an option to pay in Euros from the very beginning.
Entirely true. In practice, the buyer will silently leave the website, losing a possible transaction.

•••
So, since DAN is based in EU, any EU-based buyer may simply disagree to pay in USD, and, in this case, DAN would be required to accept the payment in EUROs, which is the currency "of the place where payment is due" (Netherlands). The law is the law. In other words, DAN should offer EU-based buyers an option to pay in Euros from the very beginning.
It's possible that, without having told anyone till it happens, Godaddy plan to just move Dan.com out of the EU and just make it an interface of Afternic. What is Dan anyway - a selling interface, a pool of domain sellers and parked domains, and some ongoing installment plans - those are all virtual and can be moved anytime. Probably a USA based Dan would not have to charge VAT.

Last edited:
•••
d morning @lovely4ever,

Best regards,

@DAN.COM

We get that they're mandatory, but must they be so big?

The number of sales is the only number I care about and when cumbersome cookie policies like this are implemented into a platform, that number significantly declines.

Landscape view - DAN.com looks more like a cookie platform than a domain sales platform.

dancookie - Copy.PNG

At least in portrait view, with the brandable template selected, we can see that a domain name is for sale.

dancookie2 - Copy.PNG

•••
I just checked out a .org on dan😉
Iphone that cookie was half the page from left side and the top part of the disclaimer wasnt in view.
Domain.io landers looking sharp.
You folks let the competition manage your assets and how they display to potential customers.

•••
I think they could integrate Wise or similar to receive payments in different currencies

•••
Just had an unpleasant surprise at Dan.com. I have a 36 month lease to own that started a few months ago. Everything went smoothly up till now. The next installment was due but today I got a message that the next payout will be made on August 7th. I asked support why and what do you know?

"We recently issued a blogpost and email chain indicating that the payout schedules for Lease-To-Own agreements would shift. The payout deadline is shifted to 14 days after the original buyer payment deadline. This as buyers have a hard deadline of 12 days total going forward to pay for any outstanding term for their LTO."

So... Dan.com now pays on day 14 of when a payment was due for Lease To Own sales. Even though the buyer paid today, I'll only see the money in two weeks (I verified it with support- the buyer already paid but they're keeping the money for 14 days). The justification is that now sellers will always know when the payout will be processed due to a strict window for buyers at the end of which the domain will be returned to the seller if they don't pay. I'm presuming Afternic will also follow suit when they'll launch their lease to own.

So, in short, forget about quick installment payouts. Everybody now has to wait 14 days from the due date to get paid, regardless of when the buyer paid during that 14 day window.

Disappointing.

Last edited:
•••
Just had an unpleasant surprise at Dan.com. I have a 36 month lease to own that started a few months ago. Everything went smoothly up till now. The next installment was due but today I got a message that the next payout will be made on August 7th. I asked support why and what do you know?

"We recently issued a blogpost and email chain indicating that the payout schedules for Lease-To-Own agreements would shift. The payout deadline is shifted to 14 days after the original buyer payment deadline. This as buyers have a hard deadline of 12 days total going forward to pay for any outstanding term for their LTO."

So... Dan.com now pays on day 14 of when a payment was due for Lease To Own sales. Even though the buyer paid today, I'll only see the money in two weeks (I verified it with support- the buyer already paid but they're keeping the money for 14 days). The justification is that now sellers will always know when the payout will be processed due to a strict window for buyers at the end of which the domain will be returned to the seller if they don't pay. I'm presuming Afternic will also follow suit when they'll launch their lease to own.

So, in short, forget about quick installment payouts. Everybody now has to wait 14 days from the due date to get paid, regardless of when the buyer paid during that 14 day window.

Disappointing.
I got the same response today on a 6-month installment agreement and was going to write about it.

It doesn't make sense at all. I'll turn off LTO on all my listings if they don't reverse this change. Quick payouts were the main reason I used DAN in the first place.

What is their justification for holding my money for 12 days? To align with Afternic's upcoming LTO?

Last edited:
•••
I got the same response today on a 6-month installment agreement and was going to write about it.

It doesn't make sense at all. I'll turn off LTO on all my listings if they don't reverse this change. Quick payouts were the main reason I used DAN in the first place.

What is their justification for holding my money for 12 days? To align with Afternic's upcoming LTO?
Yeah, I'm thinking about turning off installments as well. They're calling it streamlining and presenting it as if it's a good thing for sellers to have one fixed date for each LTO transaction, but in effect almost all LTO transactions I've ever had, paid on the due date. So now I have to wait 14 days for payouts instead of 1-2 days. From smooth and fast transactions, the new norm is slow transactions, where Godaddy sits on the money and likely collects interest. It's really a shame what Godaddy is doing to Dan.com.

Last edited:
•••
They have completely F*cked up Dan as was to be expected. Given it a slow death.

The cookies popup is bs too! Why don’t they turn that crap on their own landers ?….Because they are slowing pushing us to have to use Afternic/gd landers and soon Dan will be an empty shell of nothing .

•••
u are all acting as if u didnt know gd bought dan as competition buyout defensive move. like 747484 other companies did b4 them and will continue to do in future. just make best of it all. aim for best rates like add lead. and dont get attached to dan. dan has no future. only gd does. and when dan gone or rates too high go elsewhere. rinse repeat

•••
Dan not loading properly...the last time it did, I noticed any reference to Godaddy was missing in upper corner...makes me wonder what is going on.

•••
Dan not loading properly...the last time it did, I noticed any reference to Godaddy was missing in upper corner...makes me wonder what is going on.
dan.com a godaddy brand is still there. it's fine

•••
What will buyers think? They should have covered DAN as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230726_190247_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230726_190247_Chrome.jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
•••
What will buyers think? They should have covered DAN as well.

buyers who know nothing about landers will panic when they see this. anyway its pointless to use dan for anything other add lead... all u need is your contact email and or phone in plain text ..any serious buyer will know what to do from there... and thank u for sparing him confusion of 500 options like lto etc....

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back