Domain Empire

DAN.COM Domain Marketplace (Official Thread)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DAN.COM

Domain MarketplaceTop Member
Dan.com Staff
Impact
DAN.COM (formerly known as Undeveloped.com) is on a path to be become the biggest domain marketplace in the world. We use state of the art technology to solve everyday problems buyers and sellers in the domain industry face. At DAN.COM we focus on automating most processes required to buy & sell domains to increase a more efficient and active secondary market for domains.

What sets us apart is our strong focus on product development and customer satisfaction. We leave nothing to chance and every single feature and element we introduce is professionally and carefully designed and built.

DAN.COM is ranked in the top 5 best-rated marketplaces in the world (According to the biggest review platform Trustpilot) and in the domain industry, we're the domain marketplace with the highest rating with an average of 9,4 out of 10 points.

At DAN.COM you will get the highest value for the lowest commission around. Due to our domain transfer automation, we can offer significantly faster handling of domain transactions and payouts (usually within 24 hours) at the lowest fee charged by any domain marketplace.

We've been the first on many fronts and proudly will continue to keep innovating. We were the first to offer optimized for sale pages since 2013, the first to provide payment plans in the form of lease to own and rentals and also the first and only domain marketplace offering free SSL on all domains parked with us for over a year now.

Read more about DAN and our future plans here: https://blog.undeveloped.com/a-big-leap-forward-3a3cc59ed418

This thread is created to act as an informal communication board between the DAN team and the domain community. Feel free to post feedback here and to discuss how you use DAN.

What this thread is not meant for is support. Please contact our support team here: [email protected] when you need assistance.

Previous reviews under old brand: https://www.namepros.com/threads/undeveloped-com-experience.893201/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That update was published on November 14, 2022, before the latest commission changes.
Thanks. Yeah, I actually noticed that after I wrote my post. However, @DAN.COM are sending people to read that update from November in today's update, so they should update the commission structure in that update from 2022 or clarify it in their current messaging. As it is, it's unclear at this point what has changed as far as Afternic is concerned, since the change was already implemented earlier. After their message today, people are writing about it as if the Dan.com listings being sent to Afternic as a default setting at Dan.com is something new.

Last edited:
•••
As it is, it's unclear at this point what has changed as far as Afternic is concerned, since the change was already implemented earlier. After their message today, people are writing about it as if the Dan.com listings being sent to Afternic as a default setting at Dan.com is something new.

Dan.com on Twitter:

"This gives advanced notice that you will no longer be able to opt out of domains listed on Dan.com with buy it now (BIN) prices being listed on the Afternic Distribution Network." (emphasis mine)

•••
Dan.com on Twitter:

"This gives advanced notice that you will no longer be able to opt out of domains listed on Dan.com with buy it now (BIN) prices being listed on the Afternic Distribution Network." (emphasis mine)
Oh, I missed that. Thanks!

•••
Many people have opted out of the Dan-AN integration because prices at AN are listed without currency conversions (so 1000€ -> $1000). That is the real reason why Dan is getting rid of € and £ listings. They think that after that currency conversion problem is gone, forced integration should be okay.

•••
This allows us to easily convert to the buyer’s local currency while still paying you out in your preferred currency with no surprises.
Sure! The exchange rate will be calculated upon receipt of payment by the buyer. This exchange rate will be transparent to sellers, as it will be shown in a Dan bot message as well as in your revenue sheet.

If you charge exhange fee above paid commission, that's a suprise. You talk all the time about transparentcy but you are not transparent. In two days the new currency rules will come into effect and you don't even mention the additional fees and costs.

•••
It seems to me that names listed on Afternic via Dan are not eligible for fast transfer. Is that going to be addressed with these new updates?

It would be handy if the forced-listing on Afternic for all Dan names had the same options as names listed directly through an Afternic account, so that we didn't need to maintain our listings on Afternic at all in order to have all of the same features.

---

Sidenote, I have a domain using Dan nameservers, verified ownership through Dan, but someone else has it
listed in their Afternic account still and somehow, it's showing up with Afternic landers when I type in the URL.

Why are Afternic landers over-ruling the Dan nameservers I'm using? It seems weird that an Afternic landing page would show up when I type in a domain using Dan's nameservers.

About a week ago, I filled out the afternic form on the landing page of this domain to express interest in the name, since I wanted to see what would happen.

I never heard from a broker, and now the form is gone and it says you need to phone in to inquire about the name. I know I can email afternic and send a screenshot to verify ownership, but I'm more curious in learning why it's showing afternic landers at all whjen I'm using ns1.dan.com and ns2.dan.com.

I'm not happy with Afternic's brokerage service after seeing that a potential buyer could have to wait almost a week and still not hear back with a price, and I'm not happy that Dan is letting Afternic override the Dan nameservers without any warning. Please explain what's happening here.

•••
I just received the invoice about a sale I had today.
The domain was listed in USD and my payment in EUR.
The exchange rate was 1,088.
I can't know the exact time they exchanged the money, but this is more or less today's real time rate.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    88.3 KB · Views: 77
•••
Maybe the heat is getting to me, but I thought imported leads, buy now, were at 3%. From Dan website:

"All imported "Buy now" & "Make offer" leads are handled at a discounted commission rate of just 5%. When you choose "Lease to own" we charge a 10% commission rate."

Additionally, with the new update, am I understanding correctly that a priced domain on Dan will AUTOMATICALLY be distributed to the Afternic network? What will the commission be?

•••
3% is SEDO's fee for imported leads.
Dan was always at 5%.

The commission thought Afternic network would be 15%, like it is in DAN and Afternic.
Everywhere is flat 15%, as long as your domain is parked in DoDaddy group...

•••
Ok, so I'm kind of baffled by the new currency implementation.
- Buy now prices have been changed, but min offer is a 1 on 1 change? E.g. domains that were listed for euro 500 (both buy now and min offer) are now listed for 544 buy now and 500 min offer. That is unlogical. And I have to update the pricing for all of them.
- I really would have expected that the landing page would show an Euro conversion option. Preferable automatically or at least by clicking an icon.. Haven't you done any AB testing?
- Ninety-five percent of my domains are targeted at local businesses, paying in Euro's. They want to know the euro price. NOT a dollar price, which a potential buyer has to look up to see the current exchange rate.
- Vanity pricing is impossible now.

In fact, this whole change seems to be a crashcourse on how to kill conversionrates as fast as possible.

This coupled, with the commission that went way up and all the other changes after the GD takeover, doesn't give me a lot trust. Dan seems to be going downhill fast ...

Last edited:
•••
Dan.com's headquarters is in Amsterdam. I wonder if it's against EU regulations (some price transparency rules) to only show dollar prices before the purchase process.

edit: Sedo does this too (although the seller can opt for euro pricing), but is there a difference when the equivalent euro price is revealed to the buyer?

Last edited:
•••
My DAN landers are showing prices with "excl. VAT" and "Estimated VAT overview" even though I am a private seller and 'Do not charge and show any VAT' is checked in settings.

This started after all domains (that I checked) were 502 Bad Gateway.

I'm fed up with this sh*t.

Last edited:
•••
By default Dan was keeping sales private, and I think they recently said both buyer and seller needed to say publication was ok for a sale to be published.

Looks like Godaddy changed that and all sale prices are public by default.

@DAN.COM do sellers get any say about keeping sales private? They still do on Sedo.
dan_transaction_privacy_new_2023.png

Last edited:
•••
By default Dan was keeping sales private, and I think they recently said both buyer and seller needed to say publication was ok for a sale to be published.

Looks like Godaddy changed that and all sale prices are public by default.

@DAN.COM do sellers get any say about keeping sales private? They still do on Sedo.Show attachment 242602
On the privacy tab you can still choose “keep my sales private”. Mine hasn’t changed.

•••
On the privacy tab you can still choose “keep my sales private”. Mine hasn’t changed.
Hi thanks for that, mine hasn't changed either. So the setting is still available and has not changed.

•••
You would think since DAN Godaddy is charging 25% commission for selling domains not pointed to DAN that they would make it super easy and fast to find the DAN nameserver IP's. You used to be able to Google search "DAN nameservers" and find a page on DAN with the IP info... not anymore. Maybe it's just me. Where is a search box on DAN homepage to search knowledgebase? There is just a help center link on the home page, which will show FAQ's for selling domains. There is an FAQ "Do I have to change my nameservers to DAN?" where it tells about commission fees for pointed vs. non-pointed domains.... even mentioning "by using our nameservers"... perfect opportunity to link to nameserver info. C'mom DAN... woops, I mean Godaddy.

•••
•••
This update is interesting:

"7. Transacting Party

Effective 13 July, sellers will transact directly with Undeveloped BV, the legal entity that owns Dan.com, when selling a domain on our site. Given this change, there could be changes to your invoice. You can learn more in the Dan Help Center. Our goal with this change is to simplify selling on Dan."

I guess that means sellers based in the EU will no longer have to deal with VAT? However, in the account settings, it is still possible to select whether your pricing includes VAT or not.

•••
So now EU-buyers have to pay extra VAT regardless of who the seller is, because in effect Dan/Undeveloped (Dutch) is the seller? And that's why my (private seller's) prices were suddenly showing the VAT-stuff, because everyone's prices started showing it to EU citizens like myself.

This was and is very badly communicated, and of course there was zero communication before implementation.

Last edited:
•••
If DAN is indeed now a transacting party - then it is good. EU-based buyers are supposed to pay VAT (and they request VAT invoices in many cases) - now they will. The scheme is complicated, it all depends on whether the buyer is a business or natural person, and what EU country they reside in. Non-EU buyers are not supposed to pay EU VAT, so they did not pay it before and will not pay it now. Unsure about EU-based sellers - they may now need to deal with VAT in all cases (as their buyer would always be the same EU-based entity - Undeveloped BV).

•••
@DAN.COM
what happens when the duration of the lease-to-own contract exceeds the expiration date of that domain's registration, and the domain owner doesn't renew the registration?

I'm specifically thinking about the case of a domain getting upgraded from standard to premium while being registered and leased-to-own.

As this seems to be allowed - provided the registrant was informed about this possibility when he bought the domain -
Domains can have premium annual renewals as long as the registrant is told about the premium renewal upfront.
Registries that offer premiums with this model require registrars to tell registrants this when they register the domain.
I was considering the case of a domain owner/lessor who doesn't renew the registration of the leased domain because of the higher renewal fees due to the domain upgrade.

Thanks

•••
anyone else notice since few months every lander from dan we visit asks to accept cookies everytime... was never there before... I use same phone..is etc for years so not from my end... sometimes i visit random names and its dan landers and I see this... even my own names.... this is already bad enuf for buyers..
but here is real kicker..that stupid cookies popup half the times doesmt work and I'm stuck unable to view Lander or click anything.... how is this for losing buyers huh @DAN.COM ??

•••
anyone else notice since few months every lander from dan we visit asks to accept cookies everytime... was never there before... I use same phone..is etc for years so not from my end... sometimes i visit random names and its dan landers and I see this... even my own names.... this is already bad enuf for buyers..
but here is real kicker..that stupid cookies popup half the times doesmt work and I'm stuck unable to view Lander or click anything.... how is this for losing buyers huh @DAN.COM ??

I noticed it right away. It's a total sales killer.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/da...official-thread.1148567/page-229#post-8956135

•••
I noticed it right away. It's a total sales killer.

ads/dan-com-domain-marketplace-official-thread.1148567/page-229#post-8956135[/URL]

u posted 1 month ago and nothing fixed. did they even reply? man what a sheetshow... I visit many names while regging etc.... tons use dan nowadays... and for months now I'm clicking accept cookie like 50 time a day. and swear to God on maybe quarter of those the accept all is not even clickable... so u are stuck... man imagine buyers viewing this sheetshow of a lander and taking up almost whole phone screen too.... I wouldn't use dan landers if they paid me.

•••
Thats why also the traffic stats decreased alot at google analytics .

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back