Domain Empire

Cut down on crappy domains - Advice

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
After going through some of the threads where people list their domains, I noticed that people hold so many crappy domains. Maybe they came late to the game and that's all they can get cheaply, but domaining has a cost. You may have 700 names but if 680 are crappy, and you're unlikely to even get reg-fee for them, you are losing time and money.

Domainers buy at 10 times less hoping to resell, so they are not your target market. End users are. But think for a second, why would someone spend $1400 or $14000 on your domain? The name has to be bought, developed and marketed. So it costs quite a bit. But who would anyone do that with /for a not-so-good domain name?

This is my personal opinion, your mileage may vary.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
After going through some of the threads where people list their domains, I noticed that people hold so many crappy domains. Maybe they came late to the game and that's all they can get cheaply, but domaining has a cost. You may have 700 names but if 680 are crappy, and you're unlikely to even get reg-fee for them, you are losing time and money.

Domainers buy at 10 times less hoping to resell, so they are not your target market. End users are. But think for a second, why would someone spend $1400 or $14000 on your domain? The name has to be bought, developed and marketed. So it costs quite a bit. But who would anyone do that with /for a not-so-good domain name?

This is my personal opinion, your mileage may vary.

Hiya, you mention crappy domains,

It depends on ones perception of a crappy domain.

A newbie domainers' definition of a 'good' domain might be your definition of a crappy domain, so as they learn the ropes of domaining and experience by reading posts, asking questions, etc, they will get to learn to distinguish a valuable domain vs a non valuable.

Time learning and experience will get them to tell if know if domains hold value, compared to non valuable domains.

But then it depends on the definition of value, value to be able to sell to an End user? or to resell to an investor?

An End users definition of a good domain (in their eyes) might be an investors definition of a 'average' domain. They might want that name which the domainer who has 700 owns, which could make this domainer alot of money, after negotiating the right amount of course :xf.wink:

Leaving this investor with 699 domains left, but a nice sale of 1 of their domains, and a chunk of money due to the sale of that 1 domain :greedy:.

As for many people holding crappy domains, they might want to hold the 700 domains for many years on the basis that they will get Inquiries to sell some of them (like mentioned in my previous two points)

Matt Morgan

Last edited:
•••
One man's meat is another man's poison:xf.smile:. Domains are highly subjective like art.

But I do see OP's point though.

•••
Domainers buy at 10 times less hoping to resell, so they are not your target market

that is a major fallacy, in the thought process of many.

as some domainers have as much cash to buy a domain as any joe who is not, and those sales to some, may look like an enduser sale

as there is a difference between a targeted market and a targeted roi

which means, whoever can offer an amount within or above the targeted roi, gets the domain.

do the research on sales, and see who buys the domain and what they do with it

only then will you know if it was an enduser or another domainer who purchased it.

imo...

•••
that is a major fallacy, in the thought process of many.

as some domainers have as much cash to buy a domain as any joe who is not, and those sales to some, may look like an enduser sale

as there is a difference between a targeted market and a targeted roi

which means, whoever can offer an amount within or above the targeted roi, gets the domain.

do the research on sales, and see who buys the domain and what they do with it

only then will you know if it was an enduser or another domainer who purchased it.

imo...

Exactly I thought I sold a name last year to an end user, months later checked the whois and it was a domainer. Have no idea why they wanted the name.

•••
that is a major fallacy, in the thought process of many....whoever can offer an amount within or above the targeted roi, gets the domain..

Ummm....no! A domainer get name-com to hold and then flip. That's the business line.
By definition he thinks that he can sell it for a LOT more, so this logic is not a fallacy.

I buy abc-com for $150
Someone offers me $15000. I sell since I made so much money on it.
The buyer, who can be a domainer, sells for $150 000
What happened here is that the original domainer needed the money, just didn't know the value of the name, or maybe he didn't know how to sell for its full value.

These things happen, but doesn't mean that domainers buy names at end user pricing. It makes no sense, just as the supermarket doesn't sell the food for the same price they bought it from suppliers.

•••
I buy abc-com for $150
Someone offers me $15000. I sell since I made so much money on it.
The buyer, who can be a domainer, sells for $150 000

Hi

when you buy a domain for $150 and resell for 100 x's profit to another domainer,
then that validates my point.

whether or not that domainer resells it for more later, is irrelevant, because it's after the fact.

and, one has to assume in that situation, that you would have received lower offers that you passed on, before agreeing to sell for $15k.

so, it was the roi that was the target, not... who in particular had the money.

imo...

•••
Good afternoon,

As you started this thread in 2020 I'm guessing that you haven't yet realized that the .tide is .turning.

Slowly...slowly...slowly.

Don't buy hyphenated domains they said. Don't hand register domains they said. Definitely don't ever register anything that is not Dot.com they said.

Well, here is the dot.news.

www. Simple.Cloud sold for $15,000. It was probably a hand registration (maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong) and it's not a Dot.com. Strewth. Stone the flaming crows. 15k for this. It must be trickery or deception.

Only good Dot.coms sell for that amount of money. Don't they?

Now, if only...in my ignorance I had hand registered, nay even used a hyphen on my crappy names such as:

www. Silvered.Cloud
www. SilveredCloud.com
www. Silvered-Cloud.com
www. Silve.red

Oh, how they laughed as they told me that I should stop hand registering domain names, that hyphenated names will never sell and basically I will fail in this business as I didn't have a clue or a good strategy and that I had too many crappy names.

Only-time-will-tell.com

Maybe, every Dot.Cloud has a silvered lining.

•••
Good afternoon,

As you started this thread in 2020 I'm guessing that you haven't yet realized that the .tide is .turning.

Slowly...slowly...slowly.

Don't buy hyphenated domains they said. Don't hand register domains they said. Definitely don't ever register anything that is not Dot.com they said.

Well, here is the dot.news.

www. Simple.Cloud sold for $15,000. It was probably a hand registration (maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong) and it's not a Dot.com. Strewth. Stone the flaming crows. 15k for this. It must be trickery or deception.

Only good Dot.coms sell for that amount of money. Don't they?

Now, if only...in my ignorance I had hand registered, nay even used a hyphen on my crappy names such as:

www. Silvered.Cloud
www. SilveredCloud.com
www. Silvered-Cloud.com
www. Silve.red

Oh, how they laughed as they told me that I should stop hand registering domain names, that hyphenated names will never sell and basically I will fail in this business as I didn't have a clue or a good strategy and that I had too many crappy names.

Only-time-will-tell.com

You really need to add a caveat to this,otherwise you are misleading people that are only starting out......

No one says that only good .coms sell for good amounts of money but if you look at the stats you will that .com sell for good amounts more regularly compared to other extensions....same when you compare hyphenated .com sales to non hyphenated names. This is why people give this advice, it helps new people choose the path with the better odds of success

I could pick some random extension and say x.click sold for $8,000 for example does that mean we all should go and register .click names? No it shouldn't, this extension has only had 16 confirmed sales in 5 years....

There have only ever been 27 confirmed sales of .cloud according to namebio in the last 4 years

Domain Price Date Venue
radio.cloud 28,000 USD 2019-03-25 Nidoma
simple.cloud 15,000 USD 2020-02-09 Nidoma
robotics.cloud 10,683 USD 2017-11-24 Sedo
creator.cloud 9,020 USD 2019-06-13 Sedo
desktop.cloud 5,600 USD 2020-01-05 Nidoma
intra.cloud 4,410 USD 2017-05-29 Sedo
staff.cloud 4,382 USD 2017-04-04 Uniregistry
shoe.cloud 3,500 USD 2018-11-06 Sedo
send.cloud 3,388 USD 2016-04-15 Sedo
pulse.cloud 3,269 USD 2019-03-14 Sedo
clean.cloud 3,000 USD 2017-07-31 Sedo
aero.cloud 2,500 USD 2019-08-02 Sedo
mcb.cloud 2,220 USD 2019-11-17 Nidoma
dental.cloud 2,200 USD 2018-08-05 NamePull.com
saints.cloud 2,200 USD 2017-02-22 Sedo
splunk.cloud 2,200 USD 2016-11-02 Sedo
insight.cloud 2,197 USD 2016-10-17 Sedo
602.cloud 1,750 USD 2016-05-15 Private
traverse.cloud 1,230 USD 2016-05-22 Private
meo.cloud 1,000 USD 2016-04-13 Flippa
privat.cloud 570 USD 2018-10-24 Sedo
policy.cloud 555 USD 2019-08-17 Sedo
mil.cloud 500 USD 2016-08-30 Flippa
calzedonia.cloud 399 USD 2016-07-12 Flippa
lightning.cloud 281 USD 2019-06-07 Dynadot
cottoncandy.cloud 200 USD 2016-11-25 Flippa
acropolis.cloud 100 USD 2019-09-24 VFDomains.com

•••
Or maybe you are just hoping that suckers try to bail your investments out. People with at least average intelligence can see when you're promoting your own agenda... .cloud is apparently not going anywhere

•••
I will add a caveat to this...Caveat emptor...let the buyer beware.

No agenda here...just disrupting the status quo. Don't worry about me. I'm too small and inconsequential to make a difference after all.

The views expressed by me in my reply are my thoughts only and should not be used as a guide for future performance. The value of domain names may go up as well as down.

After seeing some of the names that so called experts are trying to sell I don't think I will lose any sleep worrying about my own domain names and how much to sell them for. I will just sit back and wait for end users to come to me.

Maybe they will like my crappy names.

•••
Or maybe you are just hoping that suckers try to bail your investments out. People with at least average intelligence can see when you're promoting your own agenda... .cloud is apparently not going anywhere

And if you view them as suckers, then maybe that says more about you than them.

You don't have a crystal ball so you have as much chance at guessing the future as I do.

We'll agree to disagree and move on now.

Good luck.

•••
ya i wish domaining was that black and white... just crap and good names..
sadly namebio and sales thread here makes it very clear there are piles and piles of names none of us would predict will sell or for how much. many of those might be <1k sales.. though still with regularly ocuring exceptions... but <1k sales is money too.. and can add up.. and depending where you live on this planet.. it can be literally life changing sums.. making difference between poverty and decent life... or a hard physical job that pays you $500 per month, vs a more relaxed certain number of hours per day in front of yer computer.. so yeah... nothing black and white here.. but thats alright with mama.. as certain someone would say :) cheers. happy sales.

Last edited:
•••
@alcy you've hit the nail on the head. Put simply, Newbies are prepared to bend more in the middle than expert experienced domainers and I guess that will probably never change.

I've seen some changes in just a year and I'm sure the industry will continue to evolve and change for good.

•••
I never go there with anyone, if they like their names and are happy, all is good in a day of any domainer IMO

•••
I'm a newbie by definition but it annoys me when someone who maybe should know better comes out with such a judgemental statement which primarily relates to new/inexperienced domainers.

Influence and lead by example. Don't just crush somebody's dreams just because you can.

If for arguments sake there are 1 million active domainers, then each and everyone of them has a different set of parameters whether that be experience, access to market or financial restrictions.

I'm happy in my own situation as I have a well balanced portfolio and if the worst should happen for any particular reason my exposure is limited.

Each to their own I guess and we all have our own journey in life.

•••
Agreed on crappy names here.
How about too many crappy threads that makes no sense and wasting time?

Something like what time do you go to the toilet?

Last edited:
•••
Agreed on crappy names here.
How about too many crappy threads that makes no sense and wasting time?

Something like what time do you go to the toilet?

:ROFL:

•••
Reddstagg said:
I'm a newbie by definition but it annoys me when someone who maybe should know better comes out with such a judgemental statement which primarily relates to new/inexperienced domainers.

@Reddstagg I really do appreciate your enthusiasm and salesmanship. I love newbies. However, I do shake my head when I see names like Silvered.Cloud, Silvered-Cloud.com, or Silve.red. Don't be annoyed.

The thing is, a lot of us "old timers" have been around long enough to see many domainers with that same level of enthusiasm and salesmanship crash and burn after justifying their poor investments by touting one or two highly-publicized sales. You should have seen the debacle that ensued in 2006 after the news that Flowers.MOBI sold for $200k!

Plus most of us have had our own experiences losing money taking chances on niches and TLDs that don't provide a sustainable ROI. I personally lost a lot of money investing in .CN domains when they launched (and .INFO, and .US, and yes, .MOBI too, lol!)

History doesn't repeat itself but it often rhymes.” - Mark Twain, maybe

I'm happy in my own situation as I have a well balanced portfolio and if the worst should happen for any particular reason my exposure is limited.

Good. (y)

•••
@Reddstagg I really do appreciate your enthusiasm and salesmanship. I love newbies. However, I do shake my head when I see names like Silvered.Cloud, Silvered-Cloud.com, or Silve.red. Don't be annoyed.

The thing is, a lot of us "old timers" have been around long enough to see many domainers with that same level of enthusiasm and salesmanship crash and burn after justifying their poor investments by touting one or two highly-publicized sales. You should have seen the debacle that ensued in 2006 after the news that Flowers.MOBI sold for $200k!

Plus most of us have had our own experiences losing money taking chances on niches and TLDs that don't provide a sustainable ROI. I personally lost a lot of money investing in .CN domains when they launched (and .INFO, and .US, and yes, .MOBI too, lol!)

History doesn't repeat itself but it often rhymes.” - Mark Twain, maybe

Good. (y)

Thank you for your response. At least it is measured and reasonable.

Sometimes in life a bad salesman can't sell a good domain name and other times a good salesman sells a bad domain name.

I appreciate good feedback when it is with good intention and at least makes sense.

I'm nothing in the domain investing world until I make some sales but in the meantime I listen and I learn.

The proof is in the bank so I will keep my head down and plough on.

I'm sure I will mention if I ever make a sale.

Keep on keeping on.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••

Geez, 14 years ago....my has time flown by
that sale, along with Pinky Brand kicked the hype in high gear

:)

imo..

•••

Influence and lead by example. Don't just crush somebody's dreams just because you can.

The original thread stated that before you register a name, think of who would buy it. Simple and proven by time. It was inspired by domains posted in the Appraisal forum. I am not crushing anyone's dreams, just being realistic and hopefully saving someone, some money.

Live your dream, go out and buy all the names you want.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back