Dynadot

information Current Domain Scams (For article research)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I'm researching a potential NamePros article, which will outline the current scams prevalent in the domain industry at the moment. I see a lot of "Is this a scam?" threads popping up and thought a central article could be a useful resource for these purposes.

Please feel free to list any current practices that you know for certain are scams. Please do not post conjecture :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not sure if this qualifies as a scam! few days ago someone posted WTB nTLD names, I've pm'd him couple of names, today he messaged back saying my names were no good and directed me to go ngTLD website (run by other NP member) with domainer friendly prices and buy few.

•••
Not sure if this qualifies as a scam! few days ago someone posted WTB nTLD names, I've pm'd him couple of names, today he messaged back saying my names were no good and directed me to go ngTLD website (run by other NP member) with domainer friendly prices and buy few.

Same thing happened with me. Got schooled that my names are not good, and got redirected where to find "much better" names. I don't think it is a scam, but definitely a waste of people's time.

Last edited:
•••

That is a form of scamming IMO, perhaps some might look at it more as a “Hustle” , it is scamming to me.

•••
I received this first email few days ago:
[email protected]
Sun, Apr 28, 3:46 AM (3 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Hello!

Our client from Daegu City (Korea) wants to purchase splera.com. We've found your email via public WHO IS.

Please respond and confirm you are the legal owner so I can send you the details.

The rest of follow up emails are very quick and lengthy emails saying that a startup investor from korea is willing to buy my domain splera.com for $ 44,000..... provided if and only if
i order some certifications from this http://digirock-incorporated.net and pushing me hard to order these certificates from this site for $ 289 per domain.

Since this email is from from korea,
I told him to ask if his client is interested in buying my another domain SouthKorea.Today.
To my surprise,
He replies back immediately and says that his client is willing to pay $ 50,000 for this one too.
BUT.. provided if i order the same certifications from this http://digirock-incorporated.net which he says is DigiRock Inc. (part of GMO Cloud).

When i check the who is of this site , it is Just around 20 days old
but claims to have sold 57,000 odd domains at an average price of $ 37,000 plus.

The emails seems very convincing and genuine as if i might be missing a top buyer and super deals but the Data isn't matching.
Is this 100% fraud or worth giving a try ?

Last edited:
•••
Had exactly the same.......

I only sent one name and the reply was very generic saying they where not good enough and I should look to the site in question......very poor grammar.

"Hello,
Thank to you for submission. I have looked through your name and unfortunately they are not good new tld. They are not salable quality.

But there is hope. If you want to buy good quality new tld I suggest you look at the website (removed site name) They have very good names and are selling names at domainer friend pricing. Instead of paying those renewals you could buy 2-3 names from brands.international and have much better names.

I wish good lucks!"

•••
Same thing happened with me. Got schooled that my names are not good, and got redirected where to find "much better" names. I don't think it is a scam, but definitely a waste of people's time.

I too received same message.

•••
•••
•••
removed site name from the top of the paragraph but not the end........
Well he may be able to clear things up, might not even know about the whole thing.

•••
•••
•••

2 names buy so far.

For a few submission I tell to look at good quality portfolio such as brands.international so can get idea of good ntld name, type that people buy. lolwarrior has nothing to do with, just suggestion for people with not good names.

•••
@MrAcidic thanks for notifying about it, and @Trent1000 thanks for calling me into this thread, I was not aware of it at all. I have just reported that in detail to @Eric Lyon, and I hope it will be investigated.
Thanks again :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back