IT.COM

Creating Content for Multiple Sites

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

valuedomains1

Established Member
Impact
Obviously, coming up with content is one of the most crucial aspects of website/domain development. However, I also think it's one of the most limiting. That is, to create content about a subject, you obviously need to have quite a bit of knowledge about that subject (especially if creating a site with a decent number of pages). Realistically, doesn't that pretty severely limit the number of sites one can develop? I mean, no matter how much of a Renaissance man/woman someone is, there's still a limit to the number of subjects he or she can be an expert in, right? And one could just keep on creating new sites on the same subject, but no matter how interesting the subject, there's probably only so much that can be said about it.

Is there any way of getting around this that I'm just missing? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nope. Unless you educate yourself in more subjects.

•••
•••
Ken Jennings

For a few seconds I was like "huh?," but then I got it. Yes, Ken Jennings would probably be great at domain development, but probably doesn't need the money. I, unfortunately, am not Ken Jennings.

•••
Hire a writer who knows the subject.

FWIW, The more sites you create, the more sites you have to manage, update and promote - if you want to do it well, keep it simple and focus on just a couple of sites.

OTOH, if you're just going for quick money grabs or building a network, you should be able to google the topic and learn enough to write a few passable pages.

Last edited:
•••
Hire a writer who takes the time to do the research and has an excellent command of the language (starting at $15 an hour, 3 cents+ per word) Most of the free-lance sites, overseas writing mills, you'll find bargains aplenty, but the 'original' content is passable at best.

My suggestion, start with subjects you know and are at least passionate about. I'm a web content writer myself, and I generally stick to this motto even for my own sites.

•••
Thanks, Gina. Sure, for a few sites that's no problem -- picking something one is passionate about. But as I stated in my original post, no one has THAT many subjects one is that passionate about! The obvious solution, then, is just to develop a small number of sites, but from what I understand (and I am fairly new to this), it's very unlikely that any one site will provide that much income, so if one has any interest in making significant money with this, it sounds like significant volume is needed in terms of number of sites. So, that's the dilemma, it seems to me. Thanks again.

•••
It's not a volume game.

Sites, especially affiliate or Adsense sites, tend to follow the "80-20" rule: 20% of your sites will produce 80% of the income.

The trick is predicting which will be in the 20%.

However if you invest serious effort into one site and create something useful and awesome, that will usually pay off.

•••
It's not a volume game.

Sites, especially affiliate or Adsense sites, tend to follow the "80-20" rule: 20% of your sites will produce 80% of the income.

The trick is predicting which will be in the 20%.

However if you invest serious effort into one site and create something useful and awesome, that will usually pay off.

Are you (or, really, anyone else here for that matter) familiar with the e-book/course "Beyond Domaining"? No, I am NOT plugging them, but I just ask because it is really that course that got me interested in development (as opposed to just flipping), and it seems to tell a very different tale. So, I'm confused!

•••
Not familiar with the book, but been doing affiliate sites since 2004. Between that and my business I have a pretty good grasp on what works and what doesn't :).
If you go about things the wrong way, THEN you're playing a numbers game because you're essentially throwing spaghetti at the wall and hoping something sticks.
Also, if it was written more than a year or two ago a lot has changed since then...

•••
Well, yes, it was in fact written back in 2010. Didn't know that much that much of an impact. Interesting.

•••
2010 is like eons ago :)! For one thing, you could put passable content on an EMD and outrank the big guys (in Google) for the keywords in your domain back then. Good times :). Google search algo change history on Moz - worth a quick look - http://moz.com/google-algorithm-change

BTW, many good writers are also good researchers, so even if they don't know a topic they can do a decent job writing about it. (The article mills just "spin" Wikipedia - if you're lucky they do it manually.)

•••
Hire content creators, there are plenty around.

If you need any help, hit me up!

•••
Why do you want to do this? To make money off traffic? To fatten up domains for sale?

You are up against duplicate content issues, poor content issues, age of content issues, social media issues... the search engine is getting better and better at filtering out content farmers, even stuff written by people with poorer English syntax.

I wouldn't bother with this nowadays - you have to run hard to stay in the same place unless you have something unique to say that people actually look for.

Last edited:
•••
FWIW, The more sites you create, the more sites you have to manage, update and promote - if you want to do it well, keep it simple and focus on just a couple of sites.

Really good advice.

•••
Get free content from your users. You just provide an awesome experience for them to do so. Case studies include Wikipedia, Quora, etc.

•••
Get free content from your users. You just provide an awesome experience for them to do so. Case studies include Wikipedia, Quora, etc.
Ambitious :P

•••
Ambitious :P

Yeah. If he wants a decent income for a single person or a small company, building content himself is enough. If he wants to be big, inspiring content out of the user is the only way. Further case studies include StackOverflow, Flickr, NamePros, etc.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back