IT.COM

news Covid19-Coronavirus updates and news

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mister Funsky

Top Member
Impact
Having relatives and friends scattered all over the globe, I am getting an overload of input (some on the record and some off the record).

My intention for this thread is for community members from around the world to post first hand stories and/or links to information sources that, for the most part, should be reliable.

In my community, just outside a major southeastern city, 'assets' have been placed. Only because I have friends in both high and low places have I heard about some of this. At this point it is only some basic medical supplies that should be equally distributed anyway in preparation for a natural emergency (hurricane/wildfire/etc.).

I will start with posting a link to a site with current data that seems to come from an aggregate of sources and hope others will do the same as they come across similar sites/pages.

Because of the 'typhoid Mary' spread-ability of this disease, I feel we may be in for a really large spread globally which will impact the global economy and through extension, retail domain prices.

One thing is for sure...things will get worse before they get better.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa-coronavirus/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
AstraZeneca may have included ‘outdated information’ in Covid vaccine trial, U.S. health agency says

A U.S. health agency on Tuesday said that AstraZeneca may have included outdated information in trial results of its Covid-19 vaccine, potentially casting doubt over published efficacy rates.

It comes just one day after the findings of a large U.S. trial showed that the vaccine was safe and highly effective and throws into question whether AstraZeneca can seek U.S. clearance for the vaccine next month as planned.

106857777-1616483584168-gettyimages-1231875260-20090101210322-99-924403.jpeg

The Data Safety Monitoring Board “expressed concern that AstraZeneca may have included outdated information from that trial, which may have provided an incomplete view of the efficacy data,” the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said in a statement.

AstraZeneca Releases New Data Backing Its Vaccine

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/25/world/astrazeneca-vaccine.html

AstraZeneca reiterated on Wednesday that its Covid-19 vaccine was very effective at preventing the disease, based on more recent data than was included when the company announced the interim results of its U.S. clinical trial on Monday.

The company said in a news release that its vaccine was 76 percent effective at preventing Covid-19. That is slightly lower than the number that the company announced earlier this week.

The new results strengthen the scientific case for the embattled vaccine. But they may not repair the damage to AstraZeneca’s credibility after U.S. health officials and independent monitors issued an extraordinary rebuke of the company for not counting some Covid-19 cases when it announced its initial findings this week.

In a news release on Wednesday, the company said complete results from its 32,000-person study showed that its vaccine was 76 percent effective. On Monday, the company had said the vaccine appeared to be 79 percent effective, based on an interim look at 141 Covid-19 cases that had turned up among volunteers before Feb. 17. The latest finding was based on 190 trial participants who had gotten sick with Covid-19.

Last edited:
•••
AstraZeneca says COVID-19 vaccine 76% effective in new analysis, to seek U.S. approval

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ve-in-updated-u-s-trial-results-idUSKBN2BH03H

AstraZeneca’s said its COVID-19 vaccine was 76% effective in a new analysis of its U.S. trial - only a tad lower than the level in an earlier report this week criticised for using outdated data.

The updated 76% efficacy rate compares with rates of about 95% for vaccines from Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna in their trial data.

Experts have noted, however, that AstraZeneca’s latest data is particularly significant because it was compiled after more infectious variants of the coronavirus became prevalent.

“This appears to be a very effective vaccine with no safety concerns,” said Paul Griffin, a professor at the University of Queensland.

EDIT: Oops already posted, anyway, two news about it :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
A question I have been meaning to ask for a while now:

What is the deal with fatality figures coming out of the USA?

The graphs show troughs that appear to occur on Sunday and Monday from what I can see, with peaks in the middle of the week.

Are the figures collated based on hospital reports or death certificates being issued?

Each country appears to have their own rhythm with reporting, and it's surprising to see some poorer nations are more consistent with their daily reporting.

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
'I’m not sure where we go from here': pandemic fuels rise in US homelessness

Rick Temple and his 15-year-old son were living in a room in his work office in Bakersfield, California, before the coronavirus hit in March last year, where Temple, 51, worked as an independent contractor as a dispatcher for freight cargo. But he quickly lost his job and the room, and has relied on unemployment benefits ever since.

When he first applied for unemployment, it took a couple of months before his benefits started, and from November to January he experienced a lag in benefits as well due to a fraud hold which meant he needed to submit new paperwork before his benefits resumed.

While relying on unemployment, Temple and his son have struggled with homelessness, living out of their car and renting motel rooms when they can afford to do so. His son has attended school virtually since the pandemic began.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/25/pandemic-fuels-rise-in-us-homelessness

•••
Current Covid19 death numbers as of 8:00 am EST are below, primarily from the source in the original post (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus). If your country of interest is not listed below, simply go to the link above to do a search for relevant information.

Total: 2,769,612
United States: 559,744
Brazil: 303,726
India: 160,983
Russia: 97,017
United Kingdom: 126,445
France: 93,378
Italy: 106,799
Spain: 74,420
Mexico: 200,211
Poland: 51,305
South Africa: 52,535
Indonesia: 40,166
Netherlands: 16,397
Canada: 22,790
Chile: 22,524
Belgium: 22,816
Philippines: 13,149
Japan : 8,938
Bolivia: 12,131
Papua New Guinea: 39

•••
Covid-19 could be 'swallowed' into our bodies

(CNN)Researchers say they have found evidence that coronavirus infects the mouth, including inside the cheeks, in the gums and in salivary glands. When people swallow infected saliva, they could be spreading the virus to other parts of their bodies, CNN's Maggie Fox writes.

The study, detailed in the journal Nature Medicine on Thursday, may explain why so many people infected lose their sense of taste, and suggests the mouth is an important source of the spread of Covid-19. It was previously known that saliva testing was a good way to detect infection, but researchers hadn't looked to see why.

"When infected saliva is swallowed or tiny particles of it are inhaled, we think it can potentially transmit SARS-CoV-2 further into our throats, our lungs, or even our guts," said Dr. Kevin Byrd of the American Dental Association Science and Research Institute, who worked on the study.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/26/world/coronavirus-newsletter-intl-03-26-21/index.html

•••
'I’m not sure where we go from here': pandemic fuels rise in US homelessness

Even though I appreciate the fact that President Biden has put the vaccination program into high gears which has made it possible for many people to be able to get vaccinated (and also thanks to President Trump for speeding up the research for making the new vaccines last year),

But in all honesty the problems that we are dealing with here are much bigger than any one President can fix by himself (or herself).

This Pandemic is something that is effecting the future of the whole Human Race and as such has brought to the open the many flaws in the way that Humanity has been conducting itself which perhaps have gone unnoticed until now.

There has to be some fundamental changes in the way that the World is operating and is being run if we are to survive through the many existential threats that are facing Humanity and our Home Planet.

As good of an intention that President Biden might have in trying to fix all these problems, but this is going to take more than any one leader can achieve by himself (or herself).

There is a big responsibility on the people’s part too as far as helping to bring this Pandemic to an end which starts by becoming more cooperative in abiding by the safety and hygiene guidelines and protocols that are recommended by the top experts and by helping to create herd immunity through getting vaccinated.

It’s a little disappointing that United States that has been leading the World in so many areas in the past has now become entangled in so much divisions and disagreements over the way that this Pandemic has been handled (mishandled actually) so far.

We need to put all our political rivalries aside and try to find a common cause in stopping the virus and while we are doing that we also need to use all our abilities to make sure that people are not going to be suffering needlessly from disease, hunger, abuse, and homelessness in the process.

United States has always been an inspiration to the rest of the World and so it now has to lead the way in taking the World into the next Era that awaits Humanity and our Home Planet.

It all starts by trying to find common grounds over the Universal Principles and Values that are derived through Logic and Compassion which can help us ascend to a higher level of thinking and existence that can make it possible for everyone to live a righteous, productive, safe, happy and healthy life while being at peace with their Environment.

Lets end disease, hunger, abuse, homelessness and all the other things that have been ailing Humanity and our Home Planet once and for all.

IMO

•••
Americans’ health may be affected by pandemic weight gain and lack of exercise

The health of millions of Americans may have been affected by weight gain and lack of exercise during the pandemic, even if they have avoided acute dangers of Covid-19 infection, emerging evidence collected by obesity researchers – and the anecdotal experiences of family physicians – suggests.

“Ninety-eight per cent of my day is, ‘You haven’t been exercising, you’ve gained weight, and your diabetes is no longer controlled. We need to help you with that,’” said Dr Andrew Carroll, who is part of a multidisciplinary family medicine practice in Chandler, Arizona. “It’s very rare I’m reducing medications over the last year.”

In several cases, doctors said major factors in worsening health were “lifestyle” factors, such as lack of exercise, poor diet and stress. More than 60% of American family doctors saw an increase in obesity among their patients, according to a survey of 910 doctors by American Academy of Family Physicians.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/26/us-health-weight-gain-exercise-pandemic-consequences

•••
White House weighs temporarily lifting intellectual property shield on Covid-19 vaccines

The White House is weighing whether to suspend intellectual property protections for Covid-19 vaccines and treatments, in response to pressure from developing nations and subsequent support from progressive lawmakers, according to three sources familiar with the matter.

A temporary suspension of intellectual property protections would apply to all medical technologies to treat or prevent Covid-19. South Africa and India made a formal request to the World Trade Organization to waive the protections until the pandemic is over, but the issue was tabled without a resolution.

106846733-16143810662021-02-26t230127z_739916526_rc2n0m901ig9_rtrmadp_0_health-coronavirus-vaccines-johnson-johnson.jpeg

The White House’s review comes in response to a letter sent in late March by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, urging the administration to study the issue after several Democratic colleagues — including Reps. Earl Blumenauer of Oregon, Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut and Jan Schakowsky of Illinois — brought it to her attention. The letter has not been released to the public. But a senior aide said Pelosi supports the position of her members, who are in favor of issuing such a waiver, even on a temporary basis.

“The view is ‘We’re not safe until the world is safe,’” one of the sources said of the support from progressives on Capitol Hill.

The White House convened a meeting of deputy-level policymakers on March 22, a senior administration official said, but they reached no final decision.

Last edited:
•••
Pfizer Covid vaccine produces ‘robust’ antibody response after first dose, new study shows

A new study looking at the effect of the Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine has found almost all recipients generated a “robust” immune response after just one dose.

The research by Sheffield and Oxford Universities looked at the immune response in 237 health workers and found that the Pfizer vaccine generated antibody and T-cell responses that would help fight off a Covid-19 infection in 99 per cent of people.

It also boosted the immune response in those who had previously been infected and already had some natural immunity.

After a second dose of the vaccine the protection was stronger across all groups.

The findings support the controversial decision by the UK government to delay the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine for up to 12 weeks, in order to vaccinate more people with first doses.

•••
Current Covid19 death numbers as of 8:00 am EST are below, primarily from the source in the original post (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus). If your country of interest is not listed below, simply go to the link above to do a search for relevant information.

Total: 2,782,102
United States: 561,142
Brazil: 307,326
India: 161,275
Russia: 97,404
United Kingdom: 126,515
France: 94,275
Italy: 107,256
Spain: 75,010
Mexico: 200,862
Poland: 51,753
South Africa: 52,602
Indonesia: 40,364
Netherlands: 16,421
Canada: 22,826
Chile: 22,587
Belgium: 22,852
Philippines: 13,159
Japan : 8,967
Bolivia: 12,143
Papua New Guinea: 39

•••
Lets end disease, hunger, abuse, homelessness and all the other things that have been ailing Humanity and our Home Planet once and for all.

I'm sure we all agree with your sentiment, and I do my part to help those less fortunate than I, but I'm afraid humanity is on a downward spiral.

If this pandemic did not/does not change peoples attitudes and actions, it is likely nothing will. Short of a limited or global nuclear conflict, this pandemic is the biggest 'life changing' event most of us as a species will experience. It has changed quite a few for the good, but the inherent evil and selfishness of humans is still prevalent across the planet.

We should all strive to do our best for our planetary neighbors and mother earth, but the reality is there are too many people that do not care for anything other than themselves...short of reprogramming on a genetic level, the end of civilization is inevitable (BTW, I do not support genetic manipulation on any level).

Last edited:
•••
I'm sure we all agree with your sentiment, and I do my part to help those less fortunate than I, but I'm afraid humanity is on a downward spiral.

If this pandemic did not/does not change peoples and actions, it is likely nothing will. Short of a limited or global nuclear conflict, this pandemic is the biggest 'life changing' event most of us as a species will experience. It has changed quite a few for the good, but the inherent evil and selfishness of humans is still prevalent across the planet.

We should all strive to do our best for our planetary neighbors and mother earth, but the reality is there are too many people that do not care for anything other than themselves...short of reprogramming on a genetic level, the end of civilization is inevitable (BTW, I do not support genetic manipulation on any level).

Well put!

•••

If this pandemic did not/does not change peoples and actions, it is likely nothing will. Short of a limited or global nuclear conflict, this pandemic is the biggest 'life changing' event most of us as a species will experience. It has changed quite a few for the good, but the inherent evil and selfishness of humans is still prevalent across the planet.

I like to be a little more optimistic than that :xf.wink::angelic::xf.smile:

In the past few centuries progress has been very slow which in a big part has been due to the lack of having Global communication systems such as the Internet that we are enjoying now which is helping to open the people's minds to new ideas.

So it's much easier now for those who are in the position of leadership and guidance in the society such as the politicians, religious figures, professors, journalists, scholars and other intellectuals to bring awareness to the masses and to help set them on the right track.

So we just have to make sure that we have the right people at the helm in all areas of influence and power. (and that is the kind of people whose actions are based on Logic and Compassion and not on any outdated ideologies and agendas.)

IMO

Last edited:
•••
A new wave of vaccines on the horizon may get the world over the finish line.

The next generation includes shots built from the coronavirus’s genetic material and nasal sprays that defend without using a needle at all. They are stealthy, faster to make and easier to ship, offering workarounds for hurdles that limit the impact of the first inoculations to reach the market.

“It’s absolutely essential to share vaccine products with the entire world as quickly as possible,” said Richard Hatchett, chief executive officer of the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations, which accelerates development of vaccines, including those against Covid-19. “The virus will have less opportunity to evolve, and it will slow down the rates of mutation that we’re seeing.”

About the next wave of vaccines and virus variants:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2021-next-gen-vaccines/

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...ew-strain-of-coronavirus-what-you-should-know

Last edited:
•••
Global communication systems such as the Internet that we are enjoying now is helping to open the people's minds to new ideas.

So it's much easier now for those who are in the position of leadership and guidance in the society such as the politicians, religious figures, professors, journalists, scholars and other intellectuals to bring awareness to the masses and to help set them on the right track.

So we just have to make sure that we have the right people at the helm in all areas of influence and power.

We all have a share in the responsiblity of influence. The Internet has the power to put people at the helm of their own ship (bubble), but very often it depends on the direction you're sailing and who's really steering the ship. :xf.confused:

Here's a fun educational game that may help steer your own ship:

https://www.goviralgame.com/en/intro

Last edited:
•••
So, I passed on the vaccine early on as so many medical professionals were waiting and it did not seem right for me to get it before them.

Shortly after I told my doctors I would wait, the governor of my state decided those with significant medical conditions should be bumped down on the list (next to last). That segment opened up for me about ten days ago and I've tried hundreds of times...maybe a thousand or more...to find a place to get the vaccine.

About 12 hours ago I was able to find a location through CVS for the pfizer (1st shot of 2) next Wednesday...just now a pharmacist friend called and said he would have the JJ vaccine (single shot) the end of next week...thinking I will cancel the CVS and go with the JJ version. Guess I need to do some quick research and see what the latest info is.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/adults/find-vaccines.html

Last edited:
•••
@Mister Funsky -- having to choose which vaccine to get is a great problem to have! I think you should be fine with either one, and the J & J will give you immunity faster. I had my second Pfizer dose on Feb. 15, and it is is nice to feel free again.

•••
A dozen anti-vaccine accounts are responsible for 65% of disinformation shared online, new report finds

A new report by the Center for Countering Digital Hate finds that "just 12 anti-vaxxers are responsible for almost two-thirds of anti-vaccine content circulating on social media platforms." The so-called "Disinformation Dozen" remain prominent figures on platforms like Facebook and Twitter, despite repeatedly violating their terms of service, according to the center.

"Living in full view of the public on the internet are a small group of individuals who do not have relevant medical expertise and have their own pockets to line, who are abusing social media platforms to misrepresent the threat of COVID and spread misinformation about The safety of vaccines," reads the report from the nonprofit organization, which works to disrupt "the spread of digital hate and misinformation."

The center identified the dozen "because they have large numbers of followers, produce high volumes of anti-vaccine content or have seen rapid growth of their social media accounts in the last two months." Among them are Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who leads an anti-vaccine group; Dr. Joseph Mercola, who has made a fortune selling dietary supplements as alternatives to vaccines; and Ty and Charlene Bollinger, founders of "The Truth About Cancer."

The organization has called for Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter to deplatform the "Disinformation Dozen" as well as the organizations they are linked to. Three of the 12 have been comprehensively removed from at least one platform, but none have been removed from all.

Last edited:
•••
Current Covid19 death numbers as of 9:00 am EST are below, primarily from the source in the original post (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus). If your country of interest is not listed below, simply go to the link above to do a search for relevant information.

Total: 2,791,360
United States: 562,013
Brazil: 310,694
India: 161,586
Russia: 97,740
United Kingdom: 126,573
France: 94,465
Italy: 107,636
Mexico: 201,429
Poland: 51,884
South Africa: 52,648
Indonesia: 40,449
Netherlands: 16,450
Canada: 22,852
Chile: 22,653
Belgium: 22,870
Philippines: 13,170
Japan : 8,998
Bolivia: 12,165
Papua New Guinea: 45

Last edited:
•••
This country only has about 500 doctors for 9 million people. Now it's dealing with a Covid outbreak

(CNN)Reva-Lou Reva is worried. For the first time he can remember, he says hospitals around the Pacific Island nation of Papua New Guinea (PNG) are so overburdened they are closing their doors to patients.

"This is very frightening, to know that you don't have any medical facilities open, or very limited, and you cannot easily access them because of the restriction," says Reva, 48, PNG assistant country director of program support for humanitarian non-profit CARE International. "I'm breathless, I can't explain how difficult it is."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/27/asia/papua-new-guinea-covid-outbreak-intl-hnk-dst/index.html

•••
This country only has about 500 doctors for 9 million people. Now it's dealing with a Covid outbreak

(CNN)Reva-Lou Reva is worried. For the first time he can remember, he says hospitals around the Pacific Island nation of Papua New Guinea (PNG) are so overburdened they are closing their doors to patients.

"This is very frightening, to know that you don't have any medical facilities open, or very limited, and you cannot easily access them because of the restriction," says Reva, 48, PNG assistant country director of program support for humanitarian non-profit CARE International. "I'm breathless, I can't explain how difficult it is."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/27/asia/papua-new-guinea-covid-outbreak-intl-hnk-dst/index.html

I'm hoping some first world nations will help out PNG.

Australia has promised to divert our delayed shipments of vaccine from the EU, to PNG. There's not much more we can do at this stage. We are still vaccinating our own healthcare workers and elderly with the limited supplies we currently have.

I understand we are sending medical teams over.

It has not been raised yet, but our RAN has two huge Canberra-class LHD carriers equipped with hospitals that can be deployed for humanitarian assistance and disaster relief. I'm sure the RAN and RNZN will send whatever support we can over the coming months.

Last edited:
•••
I decided to grab the JJ vaccine and will get the shot Wednesday morning.

Total: 2,797,676
United States: 562,526
Brazil: 312,299
India: 161,881
Russia: 98,033
United Kingdom: 126,592
France: 94,596
Italy: 107,933
Mexico: 201,623
Poland: 51,932
South Africa: 52,663
Indonesia: 40,581
Netherlands: 16,465
Canada: 22,880
Chile: 22,754
Belgium: 22,897
Philippines: 13,186
Japan : 9,031
Bolivia: 12,186
Papua New Guinea: 45

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back