NameSilo

news Covid19-Coronavirus updates and news

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mister Funsky

Top Member
Impact
Having relatives and friends scattered all over the globe, I am getting an overload of input (some on the record and some off the record).

My intention for this thread is for community members from around the world to post first hand stories and/or links to information sources that, for the most part, should be reliable.

In my community, just outside a major southeastern city, 'assets' have been placed. Only because I have friends in both high and low places have I heard about some of this. At this point it is only some basic medical supplies that should be equally distributed anyway in preparation for a natural emergency (hurricane/wildfire/etc.).

I will start with posting a link to a site with current data that seems to come from an aggregate of sources and hope others will do the same as they come across similar sites/pages.

Because of the 'typhoid Mary' spread-ability of this disease, I feel we may be in for a really large spread globally which will impact the global economy and through extension, retail domain prices.

One thing is for sure...things will get worse before they get better.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa-coronavirus/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Demonstrates another factor that may have been influential in Australia’s response - that of PUBLIC TRUST - trust in the competency of Australian governments, and trust between individuals in Australian society.

And this, from the same article:

"... the federal government itself has been disciplined and responsible. The government has listened to the advice of medical experts and worked to create the necessary structures to limit the spread of the virus."

•••
Hidden Outbreaks Spread Through U.S. Cities Far Earlier Than Americans Knew, Estimates Say

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/...action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

"By the time New York City confirmed its first case of the coronavirus on March 1, thousands of infections were already silently spreading through the city, a hidden explosion of a disease that many still viewed as a remote threat as the city awaited the first signs of spring."

This is what has happened on all the countries of the World not taking seriously the virus outbreak when happened at China, not only NYC.

However, other countries like South Korea or Taiwan have taken it very seriously from the first minute they knew about the outbreat in Wuhan, from December 2019, so the virus spread explosion was clearly contained there.

Last edited:
•••
Note: Taiwan is an islad of 36,197 km2 near China with a population of 23 million receiving 3 million chinese tourists every year.

As of today April 23th, Taiwan only has 427 coronavirus cases and only 6 deaths for coronavirus.

President of Taiwan: How My Country Prevented a Major Outbreak of COVID-19

https://time.com/collection/finding...=editorial&utm_term=_covid-19&linkId=86672706

"Last December, when indications of a contagious new respiratory illness began to appear in China, we began monitoring incoming passengers from Wuhan. In January, we established the Central Epidemic Command Center to handle prevention measures. We introduced travel restrictions, and established quarantine protocols for high-risk travelers.

Upon the discovery of the first infected person in Taiwan on Jan. 21, we undertook rigorous investigative efforts to track travel and contact history for every patient, helping to isolate and contain the contagion before a mass community outbreak was possible.

Private businesses, franchises and apartment communities have initiated body-temperature monitoring and disinfection steps that have supplemented government efforts in public spaces.

To prevent mass panic buying, at an early stage the government monitored market spikes in commodities and took over the production and distribution of medical-grade masks. With the cooperation of private machine-tool and medical-supply companies, the Ministry of Economic Affairs coordinated additional production lines for surgical masks, multiplying production capacity. Supported by technology experts, pharmacies and convenience stores, we devised a system for distributing rationed masks."

So, this is how you take control and avoid a pandemic in your country, taking it very seriously from the very first minute you hear about the Wuhan virus explosion. And NOT saying, like many and many countries, that it won't happen in your country, that you have all in control, and letting the virus spread widely and freely through the population during a month before taking any measure and before alerting the population about the threat.

Last edited:
•••
Not a long video, but the truth it speaks screams at you.

•••
•••
Current Covid19 death numbers as of 8:00 am EST are below, primarily from the source in the original post (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus). Please copy and place the list to correct any wrong numbers and/or to add your country of origin.

Total: 191,900
US: 50,243
UK: 18,738
France: 21,856
Spain: 22,524
AU: 79
Italy: 25,549
Canada: 2,147
Brazil: 3,343
Indonesia: 689
India: 722
Japan: 328
Mexico: 1,069
Netherlands: 4,177

•••
Mystery of India's lower death rates seems to defy coronavirus trend
All over the world, mortality rates are being scrutinised to determine the true impact of the coronavirus, which emerged in China late last year and is known to have infected more than 2.7 million people globally, with nearly 190,000 deaths.

While death rates in some countries have risen sharply in recent weeks, in India the opposite seems to be happening, at least in some places, leaving hospitals, funeral parlours and cremation sites wondering what is going on.

•••
Coronavirus: Disinfectant firm issues warning after Trump comments

Reckitt Benckiser, which owns Lysol and Dettol, said "under no circumstance" should its products be injected or ingested.

President Trump faces a backlash over his comments at a briefing on Thursday.

Disinfectants are hazardous substances and can be poisonous if ingested.

Even external exposure can be dangerous to the skin, eyes and respiratory system.

•••
•••
Immigration restriction, anti growth and modern monetary theory are having a moment.

Interesting article. It's funny how quickly ideas that were thought to be too far left (universal basic income, etc.) now seem reasonable or even necessary.

•••
•••
Interesting article. It's funny how quickly ideas that were thought to be too far left (universal basic income, etc.) now seem reasonable or even necessary.

Without useless detail, my life and some of the work I have done has put me in possession of knowledge I wish I did not have. There is a world filled with good but there is an equal (and sometimes more determined) world filled with evil. Both have the opportunity to excel in all situations and events (pandemic). My feeling is that evil is making an all out run and is taking advantage of covid. I am sad to say...so very reluctantly...that our world will not ever be like it was before...may God have mercy on us all.

•••
•••
Current Covid19 death numbers as of 10:00 am EST are below, primarily from the source in the original post (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus). Please copy and place the list to correct any wrong numbers and/or to add your country of origin.

Total: 198,532
US: 52,243
UK: 19,506
France: 22,245
Spain: 22,902
AU: 80
Italy: 25,969
Canada: 2,302
Brazil: 3,704
Indonesia: 720
India: 780
Japan: 345
Mexico: 1,221
Netherlands: 4,409

•••
•••
•••

The WHO say: “There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from COVID-19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection”

Man, now I doubt if the person saying this at WHO has any knowledge about microbiology and molecular biology.

Of course not the 100% will be protected, of course there will be a percentage that can be reinfected, but the same way that using a condom won't protect you 100% of whatever you can get if it breaks, this is the same.

Let's say that 95% of people who have recovered from COVID-19 and have antibodies WILL BE protected from a second infection, but there will be a 5% or even a 10% that due to too low levels of developed antibodies, won't be fully protected against a second infection.

How long somebody that has been recovered will be protected? maybe 1 year, but next time they get the infection, the disease should be way soft than the first time, because the body and its cells have "memory" for the next time.

•••
•••
The Onion predicted Trump’s suggestion that disinfectants might kill coronavirus

A lot of media outlets were surprised by President Trump’s claim that injecting disinfectants into sick patients might cure coronavirus, but The Onion wasn’t one of them.

The satirical newspaper ran a story nearly a month ago featuring a fictional grocery shopper in Wyoming stocking up on $2,513.67 worth of bleach, ammonia, and Drano in case the president suddenly suggested human consumption of such things could be the magical potion he’s been searching for to cure the pandemic that’s spread across the U.S. at an incomparable rate.

•••
Current Covid19 death numbers as of 9:00 am EST are below, primarily from the source in the original post (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus). Please copy and place the list to correct any wrong numbers and/or to add your country of origin.

Total: 203,803
US: 54,265
UK: 20,319
France: 22,614
Spain: 22,902
AU: 83
Italy: 26,384
Canada: 2,465
Brazil: 4,057
Indonesia: 743
India: 826
Japan: 360
Mexico: 1,305
Netherlands: 4,475

•••
A spike in New Yorkers ingesting household cleaners following Trump’s controversial coronavirus comments

Hard to believe. I wonder how many cases there were nationwide and if any deaths occurred as a result.

•••
Buildings closed by coronavirus face another risk: Legionnaires’ disease

The sudden and sweeping closures of schools, factories, businesses and government offices have created an unprecedented decline in water use. The lack of chlorinated water flowing through pipes, combined with irregular temperature changes, have created conditions ripe for the bacteria that causes Legionnaires’ disease, they said.

If diagnosed early, Legionnaires’ disease poses less of a health risk than COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus. Most cases can be successfully cured with antibiotics, and Legionnaires cannot be spread from human to human contact.

•••
Current Covid19 death numbers as of 9:00 am EST are below, primarily from the source in the original post (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus). Please copy and place the list to correct any wrong numbers and/or to add your country of origin.

Total: 207,895
US: 55,415
UK: 20,732
France: 22,856
Spain: 23,521
AU: 83
Italy: 26,644
Canada: 2,560
Brazil: 4,286
Indonesia: 765
India: 884
Japan: 372
Mexico: 1,351
Netherlands: 4,518

•••
IMPORTANT

I trust this nurse more than the politicians and the media.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back