IT.COM

Could self driving be on the rocks?

NameSilo
Watch

baseballworld

Restricted (Market)
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
but it was the other driver that was at fault, human error

•••
still wont change the fact that it can happen after all humans invented the technology for self driving too

•••
humans create technology - that's why it's flawed, lol :droid::rage:

•••
They've always been on the wrong. Will never happen on a mass level. One of the biggest frauds and over hyped products/ideas ever. The taxi driver craze will also hit a wall, as companies like Uber are not profitable, and cannot possibly be profitable. Those who drive for Uber and Lyft, when they tell their insurance companies that they drive for them, they have to then pay 1K to 1.5K per month in insurance, so they end up not telling them. Self driving cars, and college educated people all of the sudden dreaming of being taxi drivers are two things that will unravel in lots of ways.

Society was fine without both, and neither are fundamentally sound, either financially, or practically. Some version of Uber will always be around, as long as they don't have to turn a profit, but sooner or later the well runds dry there, and what you will have is a bunch of unofficial "jitny" drivers on some app, who will drive you somewhere for 20 bucks.

Last edited:
•••
This is not the first car to take a crash either.

•••
They've always been on the wrong. Will never happen on a mass level. One of the biggest frauds and over hyped products/ideas ever. The taxi driver craze will also hit a wall, as companies like Uber are not profitable, and cannot possibly be profitable. Those who drive for Uber and Lyft, when they tell their insurance companies that they drive for them, they have to then pay 1K to 1.5K per month in insurance, so they end up not telling them. Self driving cars, and college educated people all of the sudden dreaming of being taxi drivers are two things that will unravel in lots of ways.

Society was fine without both, and neither are fundamentally sound, either financially, or practically. Some version of Uber will always be around, as long as they don't have to turn a profit, but sooner or later the well runds dry there, and what you will have is a bunch of unofficial "jitny" drivers on some app, who will drive you somewhere for 20 bucks.
I believe I read somewhere that here in the UK, Uber drivers may be required to take a test of some sort which they believe 90 percent will fail due to their being foreign and not understanding English so that's possible bad news too.

•••
I believe I read somewhere that here in the UK, Uber drivers may be required to take a test of some sort which they believe 90 percent will fail due to their being foreign and not understanding English so that's possible bad news too.
Read more.

•••
Sorry to have gone off topic. In regards to autonomous vehicles, I think the only way they can be a success is when every single vehicle on the road is autonomous and that would take years to implement. Every new car, lorry, cab etc would need to have the functionality and all vehicles without it would need to be phased out. No vintage cars etc. Only then will they work to their full potential.

•••
What I think will happen is all cars that can self drive will be required to have a driver present and watching the road for at least the next 15 years. What we will see more of is people using self driving cars for certain parts of the journey i.e. just for parking, just for motorways etc.

This whole idea of fully autonomous cars, without a human driver will happen but is ~20 years away. Not ~20 years due to the technology, but due to the social and political lag.

Last edited:
•••
I think they should be banned. Think of the way terrorists could use self-driving car bombs.

•••
I think they should be banned. Think of the way terrorists could use self-driving car bombs.
But they are already using suicide bombers for that. . . ?? ~_~ maybe humans should be banned so cuddly cat ppl can make earth fun ^_^

•••
But they are already using suicide bombers for that. . . ?? ~_~ maybe humans should be banned so cuddly cat ppl can make earth fun ^_^
Sometimes I wonder what you type with: the fingers or your lipsticks :troll:

•••
oh great another thing to keep me awake at night .

•••
skip the cars and lets all go drone

•••
•••
This is like saying in the early days of automobiles that a car accident will shut down the entire industry.

•••
This is like saying in the early days of automobiles that a car accident will shut down the entire industry.
:) did u know that a car accident in the earliest days was the reason y time travel was created. . .? <3

it's true -- watch the Time Machine starring Guy Pearce!

so u kno, maybe if a self-driving car accident might make holo and teleportation possible next! =^-^=

•••

umm No

Cheers
Corey

•••

umm No

Cheers
Corey
o corey, u forgot the hyphen ^_^. "self-driving"

it's very important. . . especially for us who missed out on the selfdriving.tlds and ended up with self-driving.tlds. . .

best to get everyone used to typing it with a hyphen so that maybe it becomes the norm and our domains SAIL, right? (: *hugs*

•••
o corey, u forgot the hyphen ^_^. "self-driving"

it's very important. . . especially for us who missed out on the selfdriving.tlds and ended up with self-driving.tlds. . .

best to get everyone used to typing it with a hyphen so that maybe it becomes the norm and our domains SAIL, right? :) *hugs*

treasure, I just copied & pasted the title of the thread! *giggle

Cheers
Corey

•••
•••
if self driving cars are the next thing will we still need drivers licenses ? I mean all you'll have to do is speak or push some buttons or whatever telling the car where you want to go & your off & driving ( so to speak ) . I'd like to live long enough to see flying cars ( kinda like the jetsons ) thing , that would be great .

•••
if self driving cars are the next thing will we still need drivers licenses ? I mean all you'll have to do is speak or push some buttons or whatever telling the car where you want to go & your off & driving ( so to speak ) . I'd like to live long enough to see flying cars ( kinda like the jetsons ) thing , that would be great .
no siiilly! :xf.laugh:ur missin' the very obvious teehee. . .

ppl will always need drivers licenses becuz if the AI goes awry, then u need 2 take over and drive ^^

obv. this will b a rare occurrence, but im pretty sure the gov will want citizens to cover their bases by getting trained to drive before being able to ride a self-driving car. . .

it's like how planes can fly autopilot but pilots still need to know how to fly ~_~

•••
Well only way to know whats going to change things for sure is someone in the actual industry to comment. all of us have no clue to begin with. I know sounds weird was a question but auto accidents also when the first car came out couldn't break over 100 mph on a glitch and kill people due to a electronic failure. these aren't exactly model a's were talking about.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back