Dynadot

Copy "cat"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Highride

KABOOMEstablished Member
Impact
All of my site moves are contiously copied by a compeitor's site.
1) Copied our Meta Tags
2) We bought google sponspored links so did they
3) We reach a deal with a local newspaper-- they try to do the same
4) They buy the .net and .org of our domain
5) Were listed on a blog, they flood the comment section with their site
6) We call a local newspaper to try and workout a deal-- they try to do the same

There is much more, but I just want to get a rough oppinon on what you guys would do about it. I have thought about having his domain hit with a trademark citation as it contains the words MiamiHeat which are owned by NBA properties INC. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Thanks,
Adam

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
try sending a cease and decist to scare them

•••
Anyone else have suggestions?

•••
Do you own a trademark on the name of your company assuming it's the same as your domain? If so, I'd attack on that front for the domains at least. Everything else you've listed is just competition and you can (SHOULD) be doing the same to them. While it may seem like a waste of energy and resources, you'll generally find that the most aggressive (SAAVY) entity will prevail.

•••
how do know they worked out a deal with a news paper

•••
After posting there wsa one thing that I kept thinking... 'Be thankful that this is all they are doing.' I work in some pretty competitive arenas and this stuff is basic. When the money is good, things can get crazy.

•••
i think you have a spy in your own company. find him. and get read of him. i can understand way to find out your net activities, but to find out, that you are making deal with local newspaper..... i smell spy.

•••
I think filing for a trade mark is not a bad idea.
Do that before your "copy cat" competitors have the same idea...
Then you will have more leverage to make them stop their practices.

•••
they are obviously following your blog very closely.

It could be worth your while feeding them misinformation. Not knowing what your business is so can't really advise much but try something that will be quite costly for example maybe say you took out a full page advert out on a paper.

•••
Imitation is the best form of flattery.

Someone copied my wallpaper website started - even used my disclaimer and didn't bother changing a single word.

2 months on, I'm serving 23,000 uniques/mth and sold my site last week for $x,xxx. The copycat? He closed down because he couldn't keep up :)

•••
Get the appropriate trademark. Send them a warning, tell them you're prepared to take legal action if they continue. And if they do, you can probably sue for damages based on the predicted earnings/revenue they've cost you.

•••
I think a lot of this “copy cat” stuff is in your head. Yes, they registered the .net and .org, but complaining about any of the other things is pointless. You can file a UDRP or otherwise go to court over the names and will almost certainly win. As for the rest, frankly I'd avoid mentioning them. It just comes across a bit bizarre.

•••
make an announcment in your website that they are copyying you, make an announcment in their website, so they will get low traffic. and afterall you can not beat the original

•••
doing that will just advertise their site for them. People will visit it just to have a look.

•••
I would file for a Trade mark if I were you. Thats a good way to settle this. =)

•••
Trademark InsideTheHeat? and then do what?

•••
Then them owning those domains will be violating that trademark, and you can take them to court over it. In court may be an appropriate time to mention they're imitating your site, may lead to additional fines for them.

•••
How much should it be for a TM, and any reccomendations on where to file for one?

•••
uspto.gov
$375 fee I believe for filing online

•••
dunno if its worth investing that much

•••
Depends on how vital the site is to your business.
You can have a lawyer send them a C&D letter to show you are serious about protecting your business.
If they are acting in bad faith you can also engage UDRP proceedings and claim the domain names but it will cost even more. Speak to a lawyer first.

•••
My dad is a lawyer, going to have him write something up on his legal stationary, should scare the shit out of the guy...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back