IT.COM

CONTEST: 20 Free Domains - Win them here!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Group

VIP Member
Impact
So, to give back to the community I have decided to hold a contest and give away 20 domains for free. They are not the world's most amazing domains - but - I'm sure you'll find yourself more than capable of flipping them. For the sake of the contest winner (decreasing value) I will not list the names here. They are all registered at GoDaddy and I will push them to you when you win.

Here are the contest rules.

Date Start: Today
Date End: Friday February 27th 2015 at 8pm HST

How to enter: I want to hear your best domain story! It has to revolve around your experience in the domain business. Whether it's a really funny experience you had, a crazy sale, a massive flip, a monster flop, a major regret... so on, the better and more detailed your story the more likely you will win!

How you win: I will personally read each post in this thread and choose a winner at the end of the contest. Keep the posts in the thread (no PM's). The better your story, the more likely it will be liked by others! The objective here is to tell a cool story, not win domains - but hey, who can deny 20 free ones ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Creative contest & useful for everyone to read different kind of stories...

Goodluck :)

•••
This happened to me a few months back. I was just browsing the godaddy website and happened to go through their ending auctions. I found a very long domain but industry specific so decided to bid on it. Finally got the domain, it was a 15 year old domain. Just one week had passed and suddenly one day I received an email asking if I wish to sell the domain. I though it was just another appraisal scam but found no records for the email. So I entered into a conversation with the interested buyer who said he will give me one offer and its up to me to accept it or reject it. The offer he gave was a bit over mid XXX. I knew the value of the domain was easily lower XXXX but the buyer said thats the best he can offer and its up to me to take it or not. Finally accepted the offer and transferred the domain via escrow. That was one of the fastest flips I did!

•••
I would like to put here the first thoughts that came in my mind just after reading the contest news.

Though I have some selling stories but More cooler than 'got sold story', the one that I have is a story of Not Yet Sold, I dont know why I own TradingBench.com, CorporateBlock.com, more than that I am still amazed that why on earth could I be able to register them in Feb 2015.

I mean I should not be the best person to have these domains, these should have already been registered 10 years back & became corporate platforms for top notch fortune companies, or did the domaining community had it left for me as a window opportunity to have this story told here at this contest.

Thanks for the brilliant contest Idea @Ali Zandi

Last edited:
•••
Nice! I see this is going to get filled with some great stories! Keep em' coming!

•••
First of all I want to thank Ali for this wonderful opportunity. You are an inspiration to new domainers like me and a living reminder of the phrase 'nothing is impossible'.

I first knew about domain investing 3 years ago when I was looking for 'ways on how to make money online on Google'. If I remember correctly, most of the high-ranking results were all about freelancing but I kept scrolling down until I found about domaining. It caught my attention but of course, as an 18 year old Filipino guy back then, I didn't have the money to begin my career. I promised myself that I would be a domainer no matter what. But that didn't turn out well at first. I didn't have a PayPal account back then. I didn't have a credit/debit card. My enthusiasm quickly turned into frustration. I ended up playing RuneScape for 3 years during my free time. Something that I deeply regret until now.

Fast forward to August 2014. I decided to stop wasting my precious time on video games and start being more productive. While I was deleting all the games in my laptop, I came across a to-do list I created 3 years ago. I opened it and the first on the list was "Earn money so you can buy domains." That really hit me. I felt like a rat quashed by a trailer truck. I told myself, "You've wasted 3 years of your life. Go fix your sh*t".

I created an Elance account and applied for admin support jobs. A week after, I got hired for a quick transcription job and earned $3. I was so happy that I made money for the first time!

I kept at it until I had enough to buy few domains. Of course, like most domainers, my first few names were very bad. The domain names were so bad that Mike Tyson would be forced to say "You're the baddest man on Earth."

I am yet to make a sale (I'm referring to sales $XXX and up) but for me, the fact that I can now buy domains is already a success story.

Before I end this post, I just want to say thank you to Namepros and its awesome staff and members. Your success stories fuel me to work hard and go for the extra mile. Let us help each other.

It really feels so good to be part of this industry. Please tell me I am not dreaming.

•••
My best domain story was i registred my first domain name microsoftcompany.com (also .net, .org .info, .biz) in 2009 and make web directory's, i was follow by Bill Gates for 2 day on Twitter and sell after 1 year with 300 $ (investment 100 $) and second story when i give for free aprox. 600 DN (cause me a lot of problem with 101domain names and other registrar | suspicios action) this action make me to re think what domain need to buy for future (still to learn) - but at least i have the Holy Grail now Internetul.com (internet/the internet in english).

•••
Would you register the name of a champion UFC fighter who fights with toothpicks in his mouth?
Mine happened earlier today. I registered the domain of UFC fighter, BensonHenderson.com, last week on February 14th, as I was watching him headline in the main event that night. It seemed too coincidental that his name had been dropped the day I just so happened to be watching a UFC fight. I emailed what I thought was his email requesting to make a fan site out of it and his digital marketing agency replied requesting ownership. After reading the ChrisBosh.com story, I had no problem doing so. We exchanged a few emails, and at the end of it all, I had found myself in line to receive a signed photo thanking me for the domain, and an internship with a sports digital marketing agency.​

My hopes are to learn the ropes with this company, as if I were to approach celebrities on my own without a portfolio of represented athletes, I don't feel like it'd be received too well. I might have found my own little niche hear given that I'm crazy about sports and lately domains. My new sports domain is Horford.com, as in the NBA All stars last name. Karma came back to me like that I guess, I mean today I got rid of my first two domains today, both for free, and IMO an even better domain catches my eye in the expire domains of the day. There are a number of Horford's, so the likelihood of this domain turning into a lawsuit is rare. Especially given that AlHorford.com is for sale and his current digital agency representing him is using Horford15.com as his domain.

I understand buying peoples names can lead to lawsuits, and may not be considered the best practice but I feel as long as you go about it in the right way, you could be providing a real service against squatters trying to sell somebodys name rather than using it earn their business. I do have boundaries though, recently the first and last name of the US presidents daughter was deleted and available to register as a .COM. That domain there, I will definitely stay away from!

Anyways, I'm a guy who once stood outside of Grand Central Station in New York City wearing a suit and holding a sign soliciting business cards because I wanted a better job and the traditional job search process drives me nuts. Don't be the guy holding a sign asking for money, be the guy holding the sign asking for work. This way you can make your own money, the kind of money that you never thought possible when you were busy asking for money. In true karma fashion, if my story some how finishes as the fan favorite, I will in turn hold a domain contest with several free domains in Ali's honor.

Last edited:
•••
The Self Realisation

The story goes a year back when I was an infant in domain Industry. I am a usability expert and business consultant for upcoming start-ups. I had just started buying domains as an investment and I felt I knew everything already. The days were very merry because I could possibly see a future where I am making millions every year by selling domains.
Intelligence and analytic skills are the two most important qualities my profession requires. Analytics for identifying the current best practices, Intelligence to improvise it further.

Gifted with these skills, I start finding the available domains which I can buy. I realise that most of the commonly used words were all long gone. Some even 20 yrs back. I start to wonder, If people have been buying domains since 20yrs Is there anything left for me? Now I feel dumb and i am about to quit domaining but then the Virtual millions keep telling me "dude, You are intelligent, You can surely find something". So now I try harder to find the big one word domains. Every domain that I buy, adds 50-60k sometimes even half a million to the virtual Millions that I am going to make. Everytime I buy a new one, there is passion in my eyes, a belief in my mind that this is the next big thing.

Two months passed and I had already built a portfolio of 40 Domains. I just purchased the forty first, when a potential client calls me. He is a domain Investor with over 8000 domains in his portfolio. He wants to build his own site to sell domains because his portfolio is too big and he feels he should have his own site now. We meet at a 5 Star in our town for lunch meeting. Wov this felt like the deal of my life. I personally like long term work and big projects because then I dont have to hunt for clients every second month. Everything is looking great, sounding great, feeling great because this deal is a win win deal for me. something that would keep me occupied for next 6 months and further my knowledge.
We have a long discussion for three hours. The client needs a big site, content, keyword analysis, logos, Seo, Social media marketing for all.

We are about to close the discussion and I am supposed to go back and work out a quotation for him. But at this time he asks me to go through his portfolio and give my views since I am a fellow domainer. He opens the excel sheet in front and starts reading the domains one by one to take my view on them. For a start I find a few good ones. After 10 or 15 the real deal starts.

After 15 I start realizing that the domains are good, But why would someone buy them. Till the next 50 I realize that the domains are shitty and not at all worth what he was expecting. But the enthusiasm he had, was the same that I have when I look at my domains. This was a point when I realized that not every great sounding domain will fetch me 100ks. Possibly, if he's sounding like a fool to me, I may sound like a fool to someone else. and domain industry is not as easy as it looks.

From this day I think hard before buying a domain. "What is the use of the domain, Will the buyer ever recover the money and make profits after buying the domain" These are the questions that I ask myself before pricing the domain. And sometimes I shamelessly ping experts like Ali and others for a free appraisal/thought on the domains that I have.
The "Self Realisation" has helped me become a better domainer and by writing this story I wish everyone learns the big lesson which I learnt out of luck. "Buy the right domains and Price your domains right"

Cheers.

Aditya.

Last edited:
•••
ermm.. deleted

Last edited:
•••
Nice comeback story Azw, care to share the VR domain that got you started?

•••
My greatest domain story would be when I had my post liked by a bunch of people for no reason and won 20 domains.

But seriously, the best story I have to date is starting the STS thread.
Who knew that thread would inspire 350,000 views and 17,000 posts on this forum?

If you don't know why that thread is important? You don't get one of the key elements of domaining.
It might looks like random BS but that's only because it is.

•••
My greatest domain story would be when I had my post liked by a bunch of people for no reason and won 20 domains.

Who knew that thread would inspire 350,000 views and 17,000 posts on this forum?

If you don't know why that thread is important? You don't get one of the key elements of domaining.
"post liked by a bunch of people for no reason and won 20 domains."

Hahaha... lol...

•••
•••
I think you should. This way would avoid any possible corruption/collusion, plus I feel the competition discourages users to like other posts because they feel it hurts their chances. This is a cleaver idea however!

Last edited:
•••
How do you know when you're going through the realization process Aditya? I fear my excitement was misplaced, as the first few months, I bought way too many long domain names.

•••

thanks madam.. i respect you. but who you means? i or op?
and @Grilled Jesus please don't post question.
thanks.

•••
@Azwanasban Maybe it is different in Malaysian, but if somebody asks you if you care to share something in English, the polite answer is to simply say No you don't wish to share, rather than stating don't post question.

•••
How do you know when you're going through the realization process Aditya? I fear my excitement was misplaced, as the first few months, I bought way too many long domain names.

i mean this! out of topic threads ..

Last edited:
•••
Oh, I was asking the other user @aditya agrawal that. I thought you were answering my question to you about your VR domain. Although, I still don't see how don't post question relates to an answer about me realizing I'm in the realization stage of finding out that my domains aren't worth hundreds of thousands right now.

Last edited:
•••
i just started and i have not a story yet

•••
Dear Domainers,

After losing my job few month ago, I began hunting for a new one. I did my research, sent dozens of resumes and ..... nothing. Except few replies, thanking me for participation in the „lottery“, I was down.

Passing short depression period, I decided to search for alternative sources of employment and finally I got to the topic of making money on the internet. First I started my YouTube blog Running Hermit, which I knew it will be taking lot of time before any fruits can be harvested, but who cares time is all I have right now. One day when browsing YouTube channels for inspiration I came across Domain Sherpa blog and played one video. I was hooked …. like tuna on the stick. That night I have seen probably 10 interviews and in the morning my Domainer life started. I bought about 40 …. Mostly crappy domains that day and started to learn more about industry. Truth to be said …. I find it mesmerizing …. Every time I think I know something I realize that I have just scratched the surface. There are so many possibilities and so many avenues one can go, each of them require different talents but all of them can lead to nice life if you master them.

Although it is very completive game, like every other business, I am amazed how the community holds together and shares. Since signing to Namepros and Domain Sherpa I did get warm welcome and amazing feedback, which is usually just tough enough to help you become better. I love to learn and Domaining gives me plenty of that for foreseeable future.

Although I am still waiting for my first domain sale (keep my fingers crossed with initial 2 listings of Flippa), I already feel happy every day when trying to hunt for new or forgotten treasures in digital space.

P.S. Recently I got sign when I registered MeaningfulName (com), a great platform to be filled with my new Acquisitio (com).

P.S2. Thanks Ali for great interview on Domain Sherpa ….. (This guy is a KING)

P.S3. That writing made me hungry so I better get my HempACheese (com) for breakfast

Muttus

Last edited:
•••

@Grilled Jesus That's a difficult question. Domain industry is very lucrative but unpredictable. In real Estate, one has to invest lets say $50,000 in a property and wait for years for it to become a hundred or 150Ks. but in domaining any Tom Dick and Harry with 10 bucks can buy a domain and the very next day sell it off for $2000 or even more.
.Party was released to market a couple of days back. I have Planners.Party, and already and offer of $3000 on it.
With this kind of odds I feel realization will only happen by luck or by experience. Either an incident(like it happened with me) will happen or one will hold the domains for years without any movement. Or possibly if someone reads my story or any other such story may learn from it.

•••
Planners.Party really fetched an offer of 3k?! I mean you have a great keyword for the tld, I guess I just severely undervalue these new tlds way too much. The higher registration fee scared me into thinking this I guess. I'm surprised that wasn't listed as a premium domain at registration.

•••
my story,

i was 19yrs old, when i stumble on domain investment (octobar 2013), i love realestate investment but dnt have any capital to invest,(i cant even feed my self talk more of investing in real estate, am still living wit my parents), i was searching the web when i came across a domain post after reading/ following i discover i have found an alternative to my passion (real estate investment), knowing i can purchase a land/house (domain) for less that $10 and flip to make profit, that was how i begin,

after some research filled with enthusiasm, i reg abt 12 domains including forexTradeManagers dot com, with my newbie mentality i thought selling domain is like selling water or burger, i thought once i reg a domain i will sell immediately for a lot of dollars, but i was dissappointed and all my eagerness die off, i started listing my domains on namepros but no one was interested to buy i even listed forextrademanagers for $10 which i think was the best domain i had still no interest (dam i feel so bad) and lost much interest in domain (though still following), after 3 month i just open my mail as usual only to see the best moment of my life,

Guess what?

one of my domain i listed on godaddy premuim listing just sold for $100 which was ForexTradeManagers dot com, i was so happy, i think that was my best sale that year. (though i was selling my domains a namepros auction $2- $20...)

Late 2014 (novermber last year) i got another mail from sedo that one of my domain i reg for $2.17 just sold for $1500 which was acforex dot com,

mate!!! I think at that moment i was ontop of the world, i dont even know how to celebrate, but i was dam happy,

i was able to buy a laptop for myself (my dream since 2011 came to past), am so happy i am a domainer, it brought me a fortune i never dreamth,

Early dis year 2015 january i sold another domain via contacting an endusher for €500 24hbets dot com.

I begin the year with a sale, am so happy for the success so far and i thank God for the success.

I wish everyone great sales this year. Goodluck

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back