Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bannen

Don't say Huh? too much; pretend you understand.Top Member
Impact
As you have heard by now, Namepros has been sold by its esteemed creator RJ, to the new owner Matt of Bodis.com.
The suggestions, arguments and debates are already beginning, and I thought it was important to highlight a thread specifically for this discussion, inviting all NP members to add their two cents in the way of which areas they think could use improvement, changes, or getting the axe.

We don't know all the plans Matt has for Namepros, but a forum is all the stronger when the owner/leader can see first-hand suggestions from its many experienced members.

I'll start:
1 - Just a personal dislike: I really, really miss having the discussion forums at the top of the home page. I know it may be a business decision to see the marketplace first upon coming to Namepros... but it hasn't led to me using the marketplace any more than usual, and it's a minor annoyance to have to scroll quite a ways down in order to get to the most interesting stuff, the discussions, news, appraisals, etc. Again, I get it if it's a biz decision; but if it hasn't strongly increased your traffic/business in some palpable way, my vote is for the discussion forums back on top.

2 - This is a very minor point, but still worthy of mention: in the appraisals section, when submitting a new thread for an appraisal, quite awhile ago the 'subject' line became automated, so they all now have to start with 'Please appraise' and then limited fields for up to 4 domains. That totally bored me when it happened. It used to be very entertaining to create your own subject line. Even if I was scanning the rest of the forum, I'd often run straight to the appraisals section simply because there was a funny/interesting/whack subject line. Now all it says on the home page under the appraisals section is 'please appraise' for every thread. I often just skip it.
As I said, it's a minor thing and I can see your reasons for automating things... yet IMO the value of automating it is not worth the loss of 'fun'.
Remember: Fun, Interesting, Odd, Exciting, these are the things that entice new members to join, and keep term members wanting to come back.

3 - In the spirit of that last comment, I'll make a very vague, generalized, but I think very important mention: a lot of the pure fun of this forum has somehow left, over the last couple years. It used to be quite entertaining, practically daily there was a thread or three that were so entertaining, interesting, potentially volatile (?), that it was hard to not come back often to see how things were playing out.
Somehow it seems much more sterile here now.

It's important to mention that I am still here because IMO this is the classiest, most informative, best-run domaining forum around. I signed up at the other best-known ones, but would keep returning here because it had that certain balance of all elements that I found was stronger than any other forum.

I don't know what the answer is as far as making things less sterile, and that is the main reason I opened this discussion. Perhaps with a lot of input we can figure that one out. It has something to do with rules and how they are modded... but that's not to say there is anything wrong with the rules and the modding, I feel no complaints about them myself. It may also have something to do with the layout of the forum categories... or not.

Perhaps it is also a consequence of the 'balancing out' of domaining. A few years ago there was this larger-than-life, delusional grandiosity still hanging on to domaining, people were still flocking to it in droves, regging any kind of name and thinking they had a million dollars worth. Now domaining seems to be entering a 'maturity', steadiness, professionalism, where a lot of the 'unknown' and 'growth' excitement is gone, values seem to be mostly predictable and sober.

Perhaps the steadiness or decline of traffic to domaining forums is simply the levelling-off of something that has now passed beyond its initial (decade-long) infatuation phase, and has entered a more sober, less exciting, more steady professional phase.

It seems the business-model of domaining forums has to somehow now change with the times... yet I don't quite know what those changes will be... where the trend is going next. Maybe if we get our heads together and throw the right suggestions against the wall, the right one will stick, NP can use that and get right to the cutting edge of where domaining is headed next. Where??????

Anyway, I will have other comments/suggestions, but that's enough to get this thread started I think. Welcome to anyone who wants to contribute their dos centavos.

:)

Oh, a comment: this thread probably belongs way way down at the bottom of the forum in the Namepros comments & suggestions area... however, no one visits that, and since I'm starting this thread specifically to address the switch-over period and possible changes/improvements that may happen during this transition, hopefully mods will keep this thread in the discussion area. Even stickie it for a week or two...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

Design Contests
Lets get some more publicity to our design contests section. Most members still don't even know it exists and we have some VERY talented designers on NamePros. Granted, the rules in that area are VERY strict, but due to the nature of litigation when it comes to branding your company with a logo, we have to be strict in order help protect you & your business when purchasing said "Original Work". On the same note, we also want to protect designers from spending hours of their time for nothing & require a winner is always selected.

I agree. There are great people here.

Some people get disheartened with lack of entries - sometimes it's because (a) The need is stated poorly (b) The first entry is really good.

Wondering if it would be possible to have option to keep entries "hidden" for a couple of days so that people weren't influenced by what came first. You knock out logos in your sleep and often change the course of creative flow (compliment not a criticism).

I actually thing the rules could be stricter. I think you should by entering actually be legally accountable for both (a) licencing of included art and (b) licence of software. Too many people running around with illegal Illustrator. (Now some use GIMP and you use something else but you get my point).

You can't control this but you should sign to that effect by entering.

I agree 100% though.. domaining is old hat and it's EVERYTHING else that comes along for the ride that has value. Your marketing tips for example, people's branding tips, logo work, hosting, theming help all that. That's what makes a community.
:hearts:

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

I'm speechless

Either you think I'm serious... or you are surprise I that I would welcome you ..

not sure which but I'll take the quiet :) (kidding)

•••
I have personally asked a few to join us as a mod for 2 weeks to see it from the other side.. :) Start will be Monday 31st Jan if any of them take me up of my offer :)

•••
Just a quick addition
Comments in marketplace:
Personally I agree that we should be more laxed in the commenting area of the marketplace as far as members asking questions about the domains being sold & sellers being able to respond to said questions. However, I don't think letting member strategically add more info about their sales every couple hours in an attempt to manipulate the loophole is the right course. With said, Maybe we can get on the same page and meet in the middle; allowing buyers to ask questions & sellers to respond, but continue to not allow sellers to bump the thread to to the top UNLESS a buyer asked a question OR it's been 24 hours.

Domain Listing in Marketplace:
Maybe we can also lax a bit in this area. Currently we require ALL domains listed in the thread itself and generally don't allow an image of a domain list or an external link to a portfolio (Unless listed in the external sections). While I still feel external links to portfolios & or domains with sales pages should remain in the external sections & NOT be in general marketplace sections, I think we could get away with allowing an image / screenshot of the domains the seller has via a link or attachment feature. This helps the seller be assured their domains wont be indexed by google & it still (Technically) keeps the domains for sale listed in the thread.

There's been a lot of controversy in the past about allowing images of domain lists in sales threads. But I think its one of those things that really doesn't hurt anything by allowing & actually helps sellers retain some privacy.

Design Contests
Lets get some more publicity to our design contests section. Most members still don't even know it exists and we have some VERY talented designers on NamePros. Granted, the rules in that area are VERY strict, but due to the nature of litigation when it comes to branding your company with a logo, we have to be strict in order help protect you & your business when purchasing said "Original Work". On the same note, we also want to protect designers from spending hours of their time for nothing & require a winner is always selected.

At any rate, maybe check out that section and see what you think. It might be a new direction to expand on as NamePros grows.

I have many more suggestions listed in the staff only sections (over the years). Just thought I would toss a couple out here publicly to see what other members think.

Eric Lyon

I personally like everything said here. Especially the design contest thang; that is something that people can have a lot more fun with, including new visitors, and might also bring more earnings to some members. As with the marketplace, perhaps some Namepros escrow service might also be an option for those who want to use it for contest transactions?

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

I have personally asked a few to join us as a mod for 2 weeks to see it from the other side.. :) Start will be Monday 31st Jan if any of them take me up of my offer :)

Oooh that is so tempting. Wonderful suggestion. I must abstain for reasons I mentioned via PM... but thank you for the suggestion. Tempting, tempting...
:D

•••
my 2 cents....

i visited the "BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT" forum to find 0 posts in it.....absolutely amazing...I would think that forum would get more use than most any other forum except maybe domains for sale.

are people just not interested in learning what it takes to create, launch, run, and maintain a successful business? is this what we have come to?

•••
No suggestions right off the bat, however I would like to congratulate both RJ and Matt on a deal well done.

I'm sure NP will, at the very least, remain the learning and sharing community it always has been.

Peace,
Cyberian

•••
The Namepros RV

[ame]http://youtu.be/xDUTAQzsPw0[/ame]

•••
OK. I've got a suggestion. Somewhere were we can go ask questions about the big three auction houses, SnapNames, NameJet, GoDaddy Auctions. Preferably a separate forum for each one (so that threads are really defined to 1 auction house). Plus possibly another forum for Other Auction Houses. I'm sure there are experts here on how these auction houses work (or should work). I know GoDaddy best. But I'm posting questions about the other two, because I don't know how they work. I'm sure there is a treasure trove of info about all three which could be usefully shared. I would favor a sticky in each forum which could be kept up to date, which should be mandatory reading before posting a message.

Last edited:
•••
Somewhere were we can go ask questions about the big three auction houses, SnapNames, NameJet, GoDaddy Auctions.
I like that one. Many members are involved with auctions, especially of expiring names, at other auction houses, and I think a thread, or whole forum category, discussing these auctions might get to be a busy/popular area. Could be a subforum either of domain discussion or of the marketplace.

Currently it's kind of divided between comments in the discussion forum and comments in expiring names forum, but would be much stronger if given a definitive place of its own. Nice suggestion.

•••
I think Auction Houses should have it's own forum category, personally.

•••
The appraisal forum seems to me the most visited. Everyone is buying domain names off eBay or regging them on GoDaddy and thinks they are going to get rich.

I am guilty in the tough love but we should work on being a bit more catering to these individuals rather than just rip them a new one because of their beginners mistakes. This would encourage them to participate further in the forums. I am not saying we lie or be soft, but a different approach that hooks them would be great.

With that I would love to see more long term forum members participate and get some feedback on some of their more premium names. I do see conflict only in that 'appraisal' being set in stone for other users in the for sale forums.

NP$ should definitely stay in service to and would be neat to gain some popularity. Is it tied to any conversion rate? I would hate to see it chopped out.

What about the domain buyers group forum? That was the original reason I joined these forums to somehow participate in the domain buyers group. I was able to find it as the first result in Google if that is worth anything.

Could we see it opened up a bit with some more participation? We could have several levels of investment by individuals. NP's could hold the finances and the domains for us (in trust). Even charging a fee, make NP's some cash. We could cap the ownership on them at certain thresholds, vote on what we do with them (development, sale, reinvest, park etc.) Perhaps you guys that participate in it already do that.

Opening it up to general members though I could definitely see getting some huge traffic. What do you guys think of that?

Design Contests

At any rate, maybe check out that section and see what you think. It might be a new direction to expand on as NamePros grows.

I have many more suggestions listed in the staff only sections (over the years). Just thought I would toss a couple out here publicly to see what other members think.

I agree with this one 100%! The design forums are so great. And you would not believe the value you get for what you pay. I have seen some designs selected as winners for $50-100 that could have cost a lot more somewhere else. This is an excellent resource and should definitely be highlighted.

my 2 cents....

i visited the "BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT" forum to find 0 posts in it.....absolutely amazing...I would think that forum would get more use than most any other forum except maybe domains for sale.

are people just not interested in learning what it takes to create, launch, run, and maintain a successful business? is this what we have come to?

I also was surprised at this. I was also surprised at the lack of attention we got the other day, posting a couple of times.

There are many website owners here and those who run their own, "Seo" or "domain holding companies." It would be pretty valuable to share insights with each other. Beyond that though a lot of us do entrepreneurship beyond just the domain name.

•••
I agree the discussion forums on top is a must. That is what is destroying a lot of value of this forum.

Any forum that starts with the marketplace on top is doomed for failure. I've seen it on other forums.

Eventually all you'll get is spam and people coming in just to post their bad domains and leave and eventually the only active forum would be the for sale forums.

If you want people to stick around and remain engaged, the forum has to focus on discussions.

The marketplace forums will always be more active, but that doesn't mean they should be on the very top.

•••
•••
Is anyone else seeing this? Larger lettering, no avatars, and other stuff? It's like the css file has been messed with and corrupting the output. Links to threads showing in the body of threads which don't appear in the actual content of that thread? It's making it impossible to use NamePros. I tried logging out, clearing my cache, all to no avail.

•••
Is anyone else seeing this? Larger lettering, no avatars, and other stuff? It's like the css file has been messed with and corrupting the output. Links to threads showing in the body of threads which don't appear in the actual content of that thread? It's making it impossible to use NamePros. I tried logging out, clearing my cache, all to no avail.

Everything seems to be working fine for me using the Red / White / Blue theme. What theme are you using? And can you take some screenshots and start a tech support thread here: http://www.namepros.com/contact-np-member-services/ please?

This will allow us to document the problem & forward it directly to Admins / Technical support.

Thanks,

Eric Lyon
Member Services

•••
TBH this site doesn't need too much change, but upgrades are always welcome :)

putting the discussions back on top instead of Marketplace,
does that matter that much?
I mean the sites slogan is BUY SELL & DISCUSS DOMAIN NAMES
so I don't think having the BUY & SELL on top will hurt anything.
I can understand the "community" aspect of having the CHAT section on top but either way its not too far and only a few mouse clicks away!

A upgrade in Vbulletin and using only 2 skins or even 1 forum skin might help.
Not sure though, but having too many skins is a headache and not necessary!

More site promotion is needed. I would like to see more NP ads on the domain blogs if possible.

There should definitely be something else added to this site.
Namepros has a ton of potential and already is a TOP DOG in the domain world.

for some small/ez ideas, new charity ribbons to purchase with np$
np$ payment for mod actions done lol that will keep people(me) putting in work :P

•••
It's been sometime since I posted on NP... I'm looking to change that. :)

Touching on what RJ posted, If I had one suggestion, it would be to always have quality people on board. I'm very happy to see Dave Zan as Moderator, Dave is one of the smartest, most professional and knowledgeable domainers I've ever come across, NP is very fortunate to have him ;)

I think one of the most important things to the success of any Forum is professionalism and maintaining a good member relationship, treating your members with respect.. When they send you a PM or make a request, don't ignore it, respond to it.. And when you say your going to do something, keep your word by following through with it, Building trust is one of the most important things a Forum can do for itself.

I want to wish Matt and all those who work here the very best in making NP a successful place to do business ;)

•••
More site promotion is needed. I would like to see more NP ads on the domain blogs if possible.

There should definitely be something else added to this site.
Namepros has a ton of potential and already is a TOP DOG in the domain world.

for some small/ez ideas, new charity ribbons to purchase with np$
np$ payment for mod actions done lol that will keep people(me) putting in work :P

I like these three points a lot:

1. More Site Promotion
  2. Best Domain Forum Online
  3. Fun and Easy Stuff Works Wonders

•••

Last edited:
•••
I agree the discussion forums on top is a must. That is what is destroying a lot of value of this forum.

Any forum that starts with the marketplace on top is doomed for failure. I've seen it on other forums.

Eventually all you'll get is spam and people coming in just to post their bad domains and leave and eventually the only active forum would be the for sale forums.

If you want people to stick around and remain engaged, the forum has to focus on discussions.

The marketplace forums will always be more active, but that doesn't mean they should be on the very top.

Yes this is a forum first and a marketplace secondly in my view, i keep reading that domaining is dead ??

Well if that is the case let's transcend to the development aspect that many would like to start

Simple to say .......facebook is popular because it is always there but as we know many of the domains we buy sell and trade remain with no content and after a while the people searching these terms just turn off the direct navigation method because of lack of result for their efforts

Assistance to develop would see this forum grow to another level, and also some focus on website sales would be great ......look at how popular flippa is .... there is a reason for that

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Oh and no comments is sales threads ......surely that is obvious

•••
The discussions on top is done.

IMO, I just greatly improved Namepros with a click of a button. Feels so much better now.

•••
Ah that's better .....now the moons will align, world hunger will end, the poor will prosper and domainers will sell names and be well informed

•••
:d

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

I'd like to hear a lot more feedback on how to improve Namepros. I have a few things on the list, but the more feedback I get the better.

Specifically, I'd like to hear about the forums/sub-forums? Is everyone generally satisfied? Can we add any forums/sub-forums? Remove any? Re-organize any?

•••
I think their should be a stand alone wordpress main forum because most domainers who finally chose to develop normally go down this path

•••
:d

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

I'd like to hear a lot more feedback on how to improve Namepros. I have a few things on the list, but the more feedback I get the better.

Specifically, I'd like to hear about the forums/sub-forums? Is everyone generally satisfied? Can we add any forums/sub-forums? Remove any? Re-organize any?

I usually visit ...
Domain Name Discussion Forums > Domain Names > Domain Name Discussion
Domain Name Discussion Forums > Domain Names > Domain Appraisals
Domain Name Marketplace > Domains For Sale - Fixed Price

There is probably plenty of other good stuff but time is finite so the rest has become in my mind invisible. Based on your request I took a fresh objective look at the forum structure. The first odd thing I noticed is that there are 4 TLD discussion subforums ...

Domain Name Discussion Forums > Domain Names > Dot TV
Domain Name Discussion Forums > Domain Names > Dot INFO
Domain Name Discussion Forums > Domain Names > Dot MOBI
Domain Name Discussion Forums > Domain Names > ccTLD Discussion

Is this affirmative action for oppressed TLDs? Where, for example, do NET or ORG addicts get their fix? How about COM one percenters? Furthermore, why do TV and MOBI merit marketplace subsubforums in the discussion category?

Domain Name Discussion Forums > Domain Names > Dot TV > TV Marketplace
Domain Name Discussion Forums > Domain Names > Dot MOBI > MOBI Marketplace

These may be white space opportunities. Like I said, on a normal visit it's all invisible.

•••

DANG!, i missed that offer :(...i would love to boooooot some spammers!!(or squatters or haters or fools or breakers or or or or....) :)

cheers

liquid

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

The discussions on top is done.

IMO, I just greatly improved Namepros with a click of a button. Feels so much better now.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!

cheers

liquid

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back