Dynadot

discuss Considering developing RickRoll.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone,

I have owned RickRoll.com for some time now. It was (and in some ways still is) a pretty big Internet meme.

My question is, I don’t necessarily want to develop it as an informational site about rick rolling specifically, or even as a site that directly ties into that meme. I see that as too gimmicky.

I had in mind instead to develop a brand around the name and choose a niche. Kind of like JibJab or something. It does roll right off the tongue...

Can this be done amidst the sea of content out there specifically talking about rick rolling in its classic sense? Would it be SEO suicide to develop this as anything other than a site that directly ties into the classic meaning of the rick roll?

Could the fact that the name is very well known and the high direct phrase search volume that comes with it be in my favor?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To your last question, definitely; of course. It would also be a big disappointment to surfers looking for the meme to click on a link to your site and not get any reference to rickrolling -- something funny or ironic.

•••
I think whatever you do with it you will have to embrace the meme. It'd make a good meme merch store brand.

Personally, I would approach Rick Astleys management and try and sell it to them. Here's their contact info.

•••
Now I have to watch the video. So dorky it's good.

His pants are really high. And he can sing.

Last edited:
•••
I think whatever you do with it you will have to embrace the meme. It'd make a good meme merch store brand.

Right away I thought of having it be a merch store/brand as well as just setting up a merch shop that passively brings in some money each month from sales.

•••

Personally, I would approach Rick Astleys management and try and sell it to them. Here's their contact info.

I see you posted a YouTube link... Gee, I wonder what it links to... 😂😂😂😂

•••
Partner up with a bakery and sell rolls and birthday cakes with his face on it, along with other meme merch.

:D

rick-astely.gif

Last edited:
•••
Go for it- make it it's own unique thing.

Just because it has such a popular association with the meme, does not mean a new brand/meaning can be created from the name. It can be what you want it to be. Any sort of traffic generated from people looking for the meme could have their eyes opened to a whole new "thing".

You could always add a little sub-note or headline to the line of "I know you are likely here looking for something related to the Rick Rolling meme, but that's in the past and this is what we have now"

Anyhow, great name! It pops.

•••
@HotKey, thanks. I tend to want to develop it as something broader than its original meaning. My concern is that either I will have to crush it with SEO or basically never have anybody find it by searching for it specifically. It would have to rank high on page 1 for “rick roll.” This may be possible though given the domain’s age and keyword .com.

@LeapNames, I’ve toyed with a merch store but I already run one in a similar niche and hate the idea of splitting my efforts there instead of focusing on building one.

•••
@LeapNames, I’ve toyed with a merch store but I already run one in a similar niche and hate the idea of splitting my efforts there instead of focusing on building one.

I completely understand. I'm in a similar scenario with some of my online businesses. They overlap and it often feels like you're spinning your wheels in a way.

•••
One of the ideas I had for it was a satirical site because I enjoy writing that genre. It’s also not a total stretch since nobody expects a site with that name to be too serious.

Only concern is the titles would be so funny or outrageous that people would see the domain and be like “Oh wait—I ain’t clicking that!” 😂

•••
Never thought of it as rickroll when it is rickrolled I wouldn't get to excited without them both. The hoax was the song "Never gonna give you up" an mp3 was renamed and uploaded and retitled as thousands of other songs so that every song you downloaded was Rick Ashley and you were Rickrolled. It doesn't warrant a site other than to tell the story that you can't get credit for.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back