NameSilo

computer.asia closed at $10

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
MaguirePhD said:
Why in hell would I listen to the opinion of someone who wants to tell me what a domain is worth they are not classically-trained in finance to analyze the situation other than saying: " This is the value of that domain because I have owned domains before. "
Actually I would have to disagree with this comment myself I must say,

IMO Nothing beats real life experience over a pen pusher

I would go with this person: your quote: "This is the value of that domain because I have owned domains before. "

Sorry but really nothing beats first hand buying and selling experience in the domain world, so dealing in domains before, actually has an awful lot going for it (the more dealings the better obviously)

Imagine if someone analysed how to drive a car but didn't know how to actually drive one, would you want them giving you a lift to work? Or would you prefer someone who actually new how to drive a car?

Last edited:
•••
raredn.com said:
Actually,

Nothing beats real life experience over a pen pusher

Agreed.

raredn said:
I would go with this person: your quote: "This is the value of that domain because I have owned domains before. "

Sorry but really nothing beats first hand buying and selling experience so dealing in domains before, actually has an awful lot going for it

Buying & selling domains experience is valuable, of course.

But, so is real-life business experience, doing deals with major corporates, across a myriad of business deals, in many markets, and many product categories....Experience in assessing business opportunities - the mindsets, the considerations, and the factors that influence - decision-making, at senior levels, in large corporations - and, how they assess value.

The factors that will influence top corporate strategy in relation to new business opportunities in Asia over, say, the next 5-10 years - and, their market positioning (including, say, a .asia domain, as one factor) - lead me to my investment into selected keyword .asia domains.

So, yes, of course, domain trading experience (with both other domainers, and corporates) is useful....But, so is experience of what drives business - what they regard as value - and the deals they do to achieve it.

In the end, a domain deal with a major corporate - with its sights set on Asia - may well rely upon strategic discussions....Having that kind of experience offers the chance to achieve, perhaps, an outstanding outcome.

•••
Agreed

Chris:

I see you got it.

I don't care how many domains someone has sold. If I am sitting in a board room, of which I have been in many over 30 years, and making a decision, the messenger (the person who says. " I sell domains .")is the least important of the equations.

The message is what is important.

I want to know why this domain brings value to my company, other than the seller saying, " This is really a good domain, I know I sell domains. ".

I want to hear how this impacts our bottom line, what our time frame out is for recapturing a significant capital investment, what type of semi-exclusive market entry this will it give us and a myriad of other concerns.

If that person can't tell me that, then he just should have dropped the name off in an envelope and left.

The point I am making is that while many domainers seem affable and willing to offer advice in this forurm, please do not mistake translating that to boadroom knowledge because there is absoutely no comarison whatsoever.

Now, I am certain that there are a number of people in this forum, whose backgrounds I am aware of, and they are more than qualified and capable.

But let's not posture that because someone is member of a domain forum and has bought and sold domains that they now have a handle on inter-continental business.

Doc

P.S. Sell a domain? Sell out a company or 4 that you built and then we can talk about boadroom experience versus domaining.

Last edited:
•••
DomainTalker said:
Agreed.

Buying & selling domains experience is valuable, of course.

But, so is real-life business experience, doing deals with major corporates, across a myriad of business deals, in many markets, and many product categories....Experience in assessing business opportunities - the mindsets, the considerations, and the factors that influence - decision-making, at senior levels, in large corporations - and, how they assess value.

The factors that will influence top corporate strategy in relation to new business opportunities in Asia over, say, the next 5-10 years - and, their market positioning (including, say, a .asia domain, as one factor) - lead me to my investment into selected keyword .asia domains.

So, yes, of course, domain trading experience (with both other domainers, and corporates) is useful....But, so is experience of what drives business - what they regard as value - and the deals they do to achieve it.

In the end, a domain deal with a major corporate - with its sights set on Asia - may well rely upon strategic discussions....Having that kind of experience offers the chance to achieve, perhaps, an outstanding outcome.

agree and you are real business man ...
I'm into domain not so long ago but i manage to sell useless cctld in the past few month....

Last week, i purchase 7letter.asia for 15 and sold it at end of the week for low 2.xxx (the prices is higher then dot com, offer in sedo)....
BTW this is my first 2,XXX sell ...

From domainer point, this domain have ZERO value (u won't buy it, even typo wont get this name), but it sold ...
Why ?
my client love the way i present and is all about business.

•••
Congratulations Sonny Cool

And good for you Soony Cool. Your presentation was superior to the domain and now that person will have to make that domain work because they have an investment in it.

May you sell many more.

Doc

•••
SonnyCooL said:
Last week, i purchase 7letter.asia for 15 and sold it at end of the week for low 2.xxx (the prices is higher then dot com, offer in sedo)....
BTW this is my first 2,XXX sell ...
You must have made an error in the domain name you are talking about here, 7letter.asia is freely available to register at this very moment. Unless you mean your domain name was 7letters long, could you please tell us the domain name if this is the case

Thanks dude

•••
i never have .asia vome up when i search for anything

•••
Meongtae said:
i never have .asia vome up when i search for anything

Well i get a decent amount of traffic to my .asia from search engines - in particular MSN Live brings a lot of traffic! And Google is pretty good too...I guess the stuff you are searching for doesn't yet have any relevant sites in .asia or if there are some in .asia then their SEO sux.

Try this for a random example in Google:

---> musicals coming to sydney <---

You'll get my site pop up there at no.6 :]

•••
All these stories of dotasia success warm my heart.

I think the best is yet to be, and though it is sacrilege in these parts, there may well be a case for some dotasias doing better than their .com counterparts. Esp if the corporate drive to implant an asian identity to their product / service is especially strong. In that case, anything is possible.

In reply to Scriptfordali about who will help market the consciousness of dotasia, I would have thought the DotAsia Organization is the best bet. Do they do such things? Well if they don't, I certainly think that they should!

•••
SonnyCooL said:
Last week, i purchase 7letter.asia for 15 and sold it at end of the week for low 2.xxx ...

Why ?
my client love the way i present and is all about business.

Good work, SonnyCool...!!...:)....Great ROI on a small investment.

I think .asia presents an incredible opportunity for end-user domain sales....Many western organisations will want to do business in - or with - the countries of Asia....They will have their .com....But, they mostly won't have anything that brands them as 'Asia'....I think they will be very open to a pitch that says: 'Brand yourself for Asia, too - here's the perfect domain for your organisation, for that purpose...'

One of the shifts I think we'll see in making profits from domains, will increasingly be that direct end-user sales will have to be much more usual, than in the past...

...ie that with so many TLD's & ccTLD's competing for internet attention, one key skill that we domainers would be wise to perfect is the art of pitching direct to organisations that you can persuade will benefit from having your domain - as an everyday part of doing domain business.

•••
DNJournal just reported some .asia sales:

mapsearch.asia ($1,097)

airnz.asia ($3,000)

Go, dotasia!

•••
raredn.com said:
You must have made an error in the domain name you are talking about here, 7letter.asia is freely available to register at this very moment. Unless you mean your domain name was 7letters long, could you please tell us the domain name if this is the case

Thanks dude

is 7 letter dot asia domain....
i'm not doing the best presentation , what i did is the most basic and traditional sell + a bit trick....

sorry for can't disclose the domain, cause they might unhappy seeing this thread ...
give me three more week, i will disclose how i do it but for the means time, i will spend all the profit usd2333 for all dot asia ..... :)

one more extra reason, why i love dot asia : cause asian BUYER think dot asia means they are represent ASIA, sound better then dot com cause dot com is a web site, dot asia is a brand .... they really don't understand much on extension but they love when u call their companyname.asia then companyname.com .... (i discover it on this trade)

Last edited:
•••
SonnyCooL said:
i'm not doing the best presentation , what i did is the most basic and traditional sell + a bit trick....

sorry for can't disclose the domain, cause they might unhappy seeing this thread ...
give me three more week, i will disclose how i do it but for the means time, i will spend all the profit usd2333 for all dot asia ..... :)

one more extra reason, why i love dot asia : cause asian BUYER think dot asia means they are represent ASIA, sound better then dot com cause dot com is a web site, dot asia is a brand .... they really don't understand much on extension but they love when u call their companyname.asia then companyname.com .... (i discover it on this trade)

Sonny,

that is a really big statement that you make there. I think pride is very much going play a part in .asia's success. Sure, they have country code extns but to have a .asia is kinda like having bragging rights e.g. "well, you have .co.jp but we have .asia, so there!" :tu:

This is a great success story that shows there are indeed some Asian companies that see value in .asia names, even if it is just for show or for bragging rights. Great stuff.

•••
SonnyCooL said:

Thanks for that Koo,

Looks like you have something that fits your style, congratulations

•••
tech4 said:
Dot Asia itself offers conformity and an online present for those doing business and living in Asia, in a sense a greater community than the current online community (potentially and to best dot com in the future).

So why not dot Asia?

Why would Dot Asia provide a "sense of greater community" when businesses and government agencies in their respective own countries would rather support their own extension?

PS: You have quite a number of great keywords in your sig so if Dot Asia do succeed, you'll be a very rich man. :)

•••
LZY,

Dot Asia is promoted by the registries of the independent dot In, CN, NZ, JP, TW, SG, KR, etc., and the customers naturally follow because its promoted from their registry as stated on Dot Asia dot org. (See members section, and ssee the report on customers)

---
Ps. Thanks for compliment on the great keywords. Did you invest anything in dot Asia?

•••
I see a chance in .asia, too..

•••
Spade said:
Quite honestly, I group mobi, eu, and asia together as needless TLDs.
Agreed.. the only one with the tiniest bit of potential is .mobi. (Im saying that only because of things like myspace.mobi etc.)

•••
Jakey said:
Agreed.. the only one with the tiniest bit of potential is .mobi. (Im saying that only because of things like myspace.mobi etc.)
A parked page ? :sick:

•••
scriptfordali said:
I really do appreciate your advice, but how do you explain all the .eu sales that do occur? Im not talking xx,xxx or more, but xxx and x,xxx are not uncommon - sometimes for pretty substandard names too...i would be happy if my .asia names could get that.

Can I answer with your own phrase just replacing the exetnsion: i would be happy if my .eu names could get that. But they don't.

DomainTalker said:
Many western organisations will want to do business in - or with - the countries of Asia....

...and they will 100% go local if they want to do local business, i.e. .jp, .co.th, .ch etc.
.asia is NOT local

•••
vitalir said:
Can I answer with your own phrase just replacing the exetnsion: i would be happy if my .eu names could get that. But they don't.

...and they will 100% go local if they want to do local business, i.e. .jp, .co.th, .ch etc.
.asia is NOT local

Are you sure that businesses will not use .asia ?

Because I am sure that businesses does use dot Asia.

•••
tech4 said:
Are you sure that businesses will not use .asia ?

Because I am sure that businesses does use dot Asia.

I'd say you lost $$$ on a crap extension. It would be bearable if they were land rush but the fact you bid on the names will make the pain worse in 1 year when you will either drop or do commitment escalation. Welcome .eu .mobi #3.

•••
Sam said:
I'd say you lost $$$ on a crap extension. It would be bearable if they were land rush but the fact you bid on the names will make the pain worse in 1 year when you will either drop or do commitment escalation. Welcome .eu .mobi #3.

Well, i dont think tech4 will lose money on those lol...there's some damn fine names there...have you seen some of the sales?

•••
Sam said:

Sam can you explain why Dot Asia is dot EU or dot Mobi #3? I dont see your reasoning anywhere.

•••
Sam said:
I'd say you lost $$$ on a crap extension.

It would be bearable if they were land rush...

Umm....These are landrush names, Sam - progressively being auctioned now....Auction is .asia's mechanism for landrush distribution...

...And, the fact that there is competitive bidding on these landrush .asia domains - and the solid prices being achieved - suggests demand for them.

Whats your reason for saying they are crap, Sam - apart from 'I pull my negative assumption out of thin air?'?

vitalir said:

.asia is NOT local

If they limit themselves only to very local, I agree....they're likely to use the ccTLD.

If they go a multi-asian country strategy (and a large number of Australian companies, for example, are doing this), then, a .asia may well have benefits for them.

The scale of the current, and future, business and economic opportunities across the Asian region - and the speed with which this is happening - are beyond anything the world has ever seen......Confining strategy & targeting to 'Local', in Asia, will be a rarity for western companies targeting asia, imo.

But, they may do both, to maximise leverage.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back