Dynadot

discuss Compare new gTLD .online and .xyz

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
For perspective, here is Bob Hawkes post about .online from a few months ago;

"I think the market for .online has improved with the pandemic-related push for more enterprises, even small ones, to need an .online presence.
I recently heard an interview with Frank Schilling and he made the comment that even with the many hundreds of new extensions, surprisingly few are actually generic words implying a website or online presence. I had never really thought about it, but it is true. I mean there is .online, .site, .website, .link, and a few others, but most extensions are more narrow. Club is interesting, as it sort of has pushed into that space, even though generically I would have thought the word club is more specialized.

I think the fact that .online is a Radix TLD is a plus - they have done a good job picking extensions, controlling bad actors, promoting them, etc. Of course it was used for NamesCon because Radix was a diamond sponsor, as I recall.

I would like to see more aftermarket sales and more real world use than we have at present. The other day someone said that the path to acceptance for new extensions will be slow, and it will only be for certain extensions. I think .online will be one of those, but I don't think it will suddenly get popular.

I personally continue to have a handful (about 6) of .online extension names. I like them where I can get a non-premium renewal on a single word where the match across the dot is a relatively common phrase. It is hard to find those though. My favourite is not that common an expression, joyous .online, but I like it in an era when more music, drama, etc. groups are doing online performances. I also have lawful .online that might be good either for robolaw tools, or a law firm on online case specializations, or possibly some sort of reference site.

I would not have got the huge number you did @ThatNameGuy , but I hope you sell enough that it works out for you.

Bob"

Bob is a good friend, and although we may not always agree, I believe we have a great deal of mutual respect for each other. Since I started investing in the .online extension shortly after NamesCon.online the first of this year I started following growth statistics for both .online and .xyz. Although Bob doesn't mention it in his post he says, "I recently heard an interview with Frank Schilling and he made the comment that even with the many hundreds of new extensions, surprisingly few are actually generic words implying a website or online presence. I had never really thought about it, but it is true. I mean there is .online, .site, .website, .link, and a few others, but most extensions are more narrow."

We should note that since .xyz has about 3.5M domains under management and .online just 2M, .online has been catching up fast. You see, .xyz had almost a five year head start since they started in 2011 compared to .online in 2015.

I'm curious...does anyone know what if anything .xyz stands for other than the last three letters of the alphabet?....it actually stands for generations "x", "y" and "z":xf.confused: That's well and fine, but I just learned the other day that the extension .icu stands for "I see you" and not "Intensive care unit":xf.rolleyes:

Finally, in support of .xyz here ar Andrew Allemann's comments;

This domain investor has Rocked .XYZ
by Andrew Allemann

Swetha Yenugula has built a name for herself with .xyz domain names.

Domain name investor Swetha Yenugula has found success in an area that many domain investors haven't: new top level domains. Specifically .xyz domain names.

Yenugula has sold over 300 .xyz domain names. She says the median price is about $2,000 for roughly $600,000 in revenue. Some of her recent sales include:

Props.xyz $7,888
Split.xyz $7,888
Propel.xyz $2,850
Shimmer.xyz $2,700
Zinc.xyz $3,495
Islands.xyz $3,495

Based on her Twitter Stream, she seems to sell 2-3 solid domains every week. She uses DAN.com landers and Afternic's network.

Most of the domains she sells are one-word .xyz domains.

While many registrars offer first-year .xyz registration for about a dollar, Yenugula has invested quite a bit into registering and renewing her .xyz portfolio. It currently totals 16,000 domains, and she estimates her total investment to be about $450,000.
______________________________________________________________________________________

To date my total investment is a little over $3,000 compared to Swetha's 450K. I can't share it here, but my investment in .online domains less than 1/2 of 1% than that of Swetha's.

Thoughts anyone?...which would you rather own Bank.online or Bank.xyz? How about Insurance.online or Insurance.xyz. Just asking:xf.smile:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think the .io has better chance. .XYZ looks not serious .

•••
I think the .io has better chance. .XYZ looks not serious .
Volodymyr...now that's a cool:xf.cool: name. I'm just a plain vanilla American and I don't disagree with you about .io. I own just one .io, but I wish I owned a few more:xf.frown:

Of course I picked your name up from your "information" page, and like you I'm pretty transparent. I own about 3,000 pretty decent .online domains that I've accumulated since the NamesCon.online conference in January. If you're interested in sharing ideas let me know and maybe we can help each other. Thanks for posting(y)

•••
I agree with what you said, I believe we shall see a valuable future for certain GTLDs, exact match keyword combinations in which the keyword matches the extension

As for the last question, I co own

https://e.credit

and

https://easy.credit

I’d take those names over .io or .xyz any day of the week when it comes to banking ;)

I feel that each extension has it’s own respective territory - in .xyz or .online : the keywords can be more broad

I co own,

https://wines.xyz

and

https://whiskey.xyz

I have them on DAN.com but not sure about Afternic, maybe I should list them there as well

•••
I’d take those names over .io or .xyz any day of the week when it comes to banking ;)

I feel that each extension has it’s own respective territory - in .xyz or .online : the keywords can be more broad

I have them on DAN.com but not sure about Afternic, maybe I should list them there as well[/QUOTE]

Thanks...i've been involved in everything "credit" from borrowing to lending to collections and even bankruptcy. However, i own very few domains involving "credit", but wine is another story. Because wine rhymes with "line" in .online I own names like totalwine.online, wickedwine and even tuscanwine.

I see we connected on Linkedin back in April 2018 and I believe I have your email. Look for an email from me early next week. Later my friend(y)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back