Dynadot

poll Community NP Poll - Do you invest in new gTLD's or not?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you invest in new gTLDs or not?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    55.7%
  • No

votes
    44.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

mad409

Always thinking outside the box!Top Member
Impact
Might already be a poll like this but I'm curious of one simple question, really no debate with this poll, do you buy/invest in new gTLD's or not? Even if it's just one you should vote yes.

I'd like to see how diverse the community is on this issue, this is a hidden poll so vote the truth.

If you want to debate gTLD's vs. what ever extension find one of the many open threads, this isn't the place.

Your vote is not shown publicly and it should be interesting to see how the majority of NP members think.

Vote now, everyone, let's see the data! Thanks.. :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
yes but cautiously. I dont go out all guns blazing.

•••
I think a percentage of portfolio would give a clearer picture. This one is setup to kind of pump it up.

Somebody could have 500 domains and 4 of them new gltds.

With your poll, they're an investor in new gtlds. But finding out it's less than 1% of their portfolio would give a clearer picture.

•••
•••
The tiered renewal pricing model makes me careful. I have the feeling that a lot of domainers don´t even know what their rights are when it comes to this with the nTLDs, often this is not very clear. Although I have not read much about nasty surprises yet when it comes to renewals, still it makes me cautious.

Last edited:
•••
I think a percentage of portfolio would give a clearer picture. This one is setup to kind of pump it up.

With your poll, they're an investor in new gtlds. But finding out it's less than 1% of their portfolio would give a clearer picture.

Good point, was just trying to keep it as simple as possible. You either invest or you don't, it's a yes or no question. Even if you have 500 domains and only one is a new gTLD then you still in fact have vested interest.

Last edited:
•••
I have a handful of them. A few possibly decent ones. Not going crazy over them though. Renewal fees add up with gTLD's in most cases.

•••
yes, you never know and you don't want to be the one left out of the next big thing, you know. lol

•••
I would be in the less than 1% bracket

•••
•••
•••

I would have to also agree with JB Lions on this as well. There's just not enough data in your vote to really tell us anything.

Even if it's just one you should vote yes.
One could argue that to invest at the most simplest form could explain your logic here. However, you really need to factor in percentage of portfolio along with total financial contribution to really ascertain the true question of "Do you invest in new gTLDs or not?".

Think of how much skin do you have in the game compared to the other extensions.

•••
@pchip Thanks for the input and I too agree with JB and yourself and if anyone would like to post their percentage of portfolio they can do so here.

The simple nature of the poll though was intended to see how many members of the community actually invest in new gTLDs or don't invest in them at all.

Looks like right now it's running pretty even so far.

•••
•••
•••
I'm not quite sure why you'd feel the need to start another poll when those whom would like to share their percentage ratio can do so here here after they vote.

I think it's just easier to see in poll form. Plus, it will give a clearer picture. Kind of like favorite registrar. There have been many threads on it, but the one with the poll was easier to digest.

Last edited:
•••
I'm not quite sure why you'd feel the need to start another poll when those whom would like to share their percentage ratio can do so here here after they vote.
Because that would not be a poll. You could have made a thread asking if people invest in gTLDs or not. Wouldn't have been a poll either. We both know there's much more data in a poll compared to a few people sharing their investment percentage in a thread.

•••

Yes but even that wouldn't be that telling metric. Because one could have 2000 new G's that he/she bought for $20 and 150 .COMs that he/she bought for $100k. In this scenario, you really wouldn't be invested in them (new G's) at all.

•••
Chinese are the biggest investors in new gTLDs and I don't know how many Chinese are in NamePros...

•••
Yes but even that wouldn't be that telling metric. Because one could have 2000 new G's that he/she bought for $20 and 150 .COMs that he/she bought for $100k. In this scenario, you really wouldn't be invested in them (new G's) at all.

Thanks for pointing that out. It would be a bit complicated to go through an entire portfolio and figure this out properly.

•••

Well you're right, someone for example could have spent $10 to get 1,000 new .xyz domains during the 1 penny promotion and because of this his portfolio could have technically skyrocketed from 1% new gTLDs to 90% new gTLDs in a single day even though his total amount spent on new gTLDs only grew by a measly 10 bucks. In my poll that would make such a person a heavy gTLD investor when in reality he's not.

So I agree that neither polls give us any information on the amount spent on those gTLDs. "The amount a domainer spends on gTLDs compared to what that same domainer spends on non-gTLDs" may arguably be the only relevant information that we need to find out how many domainers are actually truly investing in gTLDs.
Well, one can always make a poll asking "How much did you spend on new gTLD acquisitions compared to the amount spent on your other domain acquisitions (percentagewise)" to get an answer to that question. The people who keep track of how much they spend and what domains they spend it on (something every domainer should do) will be able to answer and there will be some interesting data there for sure.

Last edited:
•••
Chinese are the biggest investors in new gTLDs and I don't know how many Chinese are in NamePros...
No kidding! More questions than answers= lala.land

•••
Simple subject=simple predicate.

Last edited:
•••
No kidding! More questions than answers= lala.land
My answer was in my question...
But if you want something simpler:
Answer: chinese here are very few: we discuss but others control the market... ;)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back