Domain Empire
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are about 1.2 million .COs, not 2 million. At this point I feel the best keywords can be found only at the aftermarket, but if you have to handregister one, you can save $5 at GoDaddy. Have a look at the GD thread for a $7.99 coupon.

•••
Regarding the importance of domain name retail product placement, the same marketing rulebook applies as with tangible consumer products. Get eye level shelf space at the big dog or give up big dreams. Pushing widgets? Better make a deal with Wal-mart. Domains? Godaddy or go home. Godaddy top shelf in my neighborhood is shared by this motley crew: com, co, info, net, org,`ws, us, ca, biz & me. The terms and conditions of shelf space agreements is unknown to the peanut gallery but you can bet that it's time limited and not cheap. The jockeying for slots and pressure from next in line must bring tears of joy to Godaddy accounting. They have to be salivating at the prospect of 1900 new players. Being on Godaddy's top shelf is a TLD market share driver and a matter of life or death to most below com/net/org. A distinct forward looking risk for registries and retail investors is the humpty dumpty moment - falling off the shelf.

Last edited:
•••
There are about 1.2 million .COs, not 2 million. At this point I feel the best keywords can be found only at the aftermarket, but if you have to handregister one, you can save $5 at GoDaddy. Have a look at the GD thread for a $7.99 coupon.

i stand corrected,. its actually about 1.4 million approx after checking more.

thx for tip on gd reggs!

:wave:

•••
Colombia

Another thing to put in mind that there is a big difference between all these new tlds and the .co , .co is still a cctld for a country with 47 Million people , and compared to small cctld the 1.3 million is nothing compared to the population , even with the availability of other extensions for Colombia . IMO anyone wants to enter the .co should be picky and only take top keyword combinations and especially in Spanish ....

•••
•••
Thats good news. Just one more reason to renew good .co's.
PM me for a portfolio link.

•••
Of all the good "rebranded" ccTLDs, .co is the most natural for startups and SMEs because has a direct linking to the company meaning. .me and .tv are great and I like them, but they have a different field of application, respectively social/personal and television websites.

I like .net and wish it had received much more consideration which would totally deserve. It's ridiculous how even big time domainers refer to the extension in terms of ".nets and other .whatevers" (last seen it in a post by R. Schwartz).

Last edited:
•••
The term "dump" is rather emotive. Blacknight.com is the largest Irish hoster and .ie ccTLD is the Irish ccTLD. Blacknight.com also is the largest .ie registrar. To date, the market penetration of .co in the Irish market is less than 1% compared to the othermajor TLDs. The major TLDs in the Irish market are .ie, .com, .co.uk, .net, .eu, .org, .info, .biz, .mobi, .asia. The .ie/com axis represents hundreds of thousands of domains. The .co footprint in the Irish market does not.

Regards...jmcc

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Of all the good "rebranded" ccTLDs, .co is the most natural for startups and SMEs because has a direct linking to the company meaning. .me and .tv are great and I like them, but they have a different field of application, respectively social/personal and television websites.
So what happens when the new gTLDs with specific company terms as the TLD string appear? Will the lustre fade on .co?

Regards...jmcc

•••
The term "dump" is rather emotive. Blacknight.com is the largest Irish hoster and .ie ccTLD is the Irish ccTLD. Blacknight.com also is the largest .ie registrar. To date, the market penetration of .co in the Irish market is less than 1% compared to the othermajor TLDs. The major TLDs in the Irish market are .ie, .com, .co.uk, .net, .eu, .org, .info, .biz, .mobi, .asia. The .ie/com axis represents hundreds of thousands of domains. The .co footprint in the Irish market does not.

Please note that "dump" is the term used by the author of the post, not me. I think that it's pretty anachronistic that in 2012, almost 28 years after the first .com was registered, a registry still imposes such shameful restrictions. This is the outcome: the largest Irish registrar has to foster the use of a foreign extension over the Irish one.

Ironically, on top of .IE Registry’s homepage there’s a banner that lists some of the reasons to choose .ie, one of which is “simple registration”.

•••
Please note that "dump" is the term used by the author of the post, not me. I think that it's pretty anachronistic that in 2012, almost 28 years after the first .com was registered, a registry still imposes such shameful restrictions.
Shameful restrictions? Do you even have a clue about what you are talking about? The .ie ccTLD is a managed ccTLD and is not open to the world. There are conditions that have to be met to register .ie domains. Most Irish businesses and registrants have no problems getting .ie domains. The advantage of this approach is that, while it keeps registration volume lower than an open TLD, it keeps UDRP actions to a minimum.

This is the outcome: the largest Irish registrar has to foster the use of a foreign extension over the Irish one.
It is a time limited promotion. Blacknight.com recently became the only Irish .co registrar and this is a promotion. It is also part of the Getting Business Online thing that is targeted at Irish businesses (not the rest of the world). Other countries have the same Google sponsored program. But it is the height of ignorance to think that the largest Irish hoster is dumping .ie domains in favour of .co. Given a choice between a free .com and .co, most people will choose .com.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Shameful restrictions? Do you even have a clue about what you are talking about? The .ie ccTLD is a managed ccTLD and is not open to the world. There are conditions that have to be met to register .ie domains. Most Irish businesses and registrants have no problems getting .ie domains. The advantage of this approach is that, while it keeps registration volume lower than an open TLD, it keeps UDRP actions to a minimum.

When I'm talking about restrictions, I don't mean that .ie has to be necessarily opened to the world. I mean that, as one would learn from the article, handregistering a .ie domain is rather lengthy (and if the largest Irish registrar thinks so, I trust it), at least compared to other TLDs. As this may slow down the process of getting businesses online, the use of an alternative TLD over the national one will be promoted.

•••
When I'm talking about restrictions, I don't mean that .ie has to be necessarily opened to the world. I mean that, as one would learn from the article, handregistering a .ie domain is rather lengthy (and if the largest Irish registrar thinks so, I trust it), at least compared to other TLDs.
Handregistering is the way that .ie domains are registered (well it is an automated process once the registrant has a registered business name certificate, a company name or a personal domain name application). The turn around on these domains going live tends to be a few hours. The main Irish registrars all have highly automated systems and use the registry API. It is not as fast as .com but then you may not remember the time that .com had a turn around of about twelve hours before the domain went live but .com domains were free in those days.

As this may slow down the process of getting businesses online, the use of an alternative TLD over the national one will be promoted.
It does not. Most businesses trade under a particular name and they tend to register that name as a domain. They would already have the entitlement documentation to hand and with a registered business number or a company number, registration is fastest. The Getting Business Online program is aimed at businesses that may not have websites and traditionally may not be web orientated. The whole process depends on website builder applications where the registrant can build their own website. Google supplies an Analytics account and a Google Adwords account. Google's real motivation behind this scheme, especially in countries where there is a strong ccTLD, is simply because their link based discovery of new websites sucks. Most new websites have no inbound links and are therefore invisible to Google's spiders.

Now where a business wants a domain that differs from their main business name or a registrant wants a particular domain, they may have to apply under the Discretionary category.

This is the website for the GIBO program in Ireland:
http://www.gettingbusinessonline.ie/

The costs of the registrations are absorbed by the registrars in each country and Blacknight.com would have absorbed the costs. This kind of loss leader program can only be run by big hosters and registrars.

In any month, over five thousand (5000) Irish hosted domains are deleted and over six thousand new ones are registered or transferred in to Irish hosters. The GIBO program (and the variants in other countries) is aimed at businesses who want to get online cheaply. These kinds of programs always have a high attrition rate in that when it comes to pay for the domain in the second year, a percentage of these businesses just let the domain drop. And this appears to be more the case for the .com registrations than the .ie registrations. Despite appearances, the Irish market has a very strong .ie/com axis (>80% of the market) and most new Irish businesses tend to use .ie as their primary brand because, simply put, most business is local.

The IE Domain registry had temporarily reduced the wholesale cost of registrations to .ie registrars for approximately six months of the launch of the GIBO program and that helped. However thinking that Blacknight.com has generally prioritised .co over .ie points to a misunderstanding of what is happening and how the domain registration and hosting business works. But it makes .co look good doesn't it? :) And if things get any worse, actively developed .co websites will be able to apply for endangered species status.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Closed my last post on this topic & forum. Get nicked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
•••
FRUTOS.CO - FRUITS

CIENCIAS
.CO - SCIENCES

Now u tell me how much thoese would be in .com?? Thats what im talking about!!

The better question is what would they be worth in .BIZ or .INFO, because that is a far closer comparison than .COM.

Brad

•••
FRUTOS.CO - FRUITS
Great. Are you selling fruit or do you know anyone selling fruit?

CIENCIAS.CO - SCIENCES
Again, do you know any Spanish speaking scientists who may be interested?

Now u tell me how much thoese would be in .com?? Thats what im talking about!!
About $9 in registration fees each. :) Not only is .com better than .co, it is cheaper too. How much were they in .co?

Regards...jmcc

•••
Google supplies an Analytics account and a Google Adwords account. Google's real motivation behind this scheme, especially in countries where there is a strong ccTLD, is simply because their link based discovery of new websites sucks. Most new websites have no inbound links and are therefore invisible to Google's spiders.
Very good point. Many ccTLDs restrict zone data, so the new registrations cannot be detected (and crawled) easily. Many are in fact undetected and invisible :gl:

•••
Great. Are you selling fruit or do you know anyone selling fruit?

Again, do you know any Spanish speaking scientists who may be interested?

About $9 in registration fees each. :) Not only is .com better than .co, it is cheaper too. How much were they in .co?

Regards...jmcc

.com is better

.com is better

.com is better

we get it so what ?

Doesn't Colombia deserves to have some Spanish domains in their own cctld much like other countries ( .co.uk .de .ch ... etc ) ?!

Last edited:
•••
Doesn't Colombia deserves to have some Spanish domains in their own cctld much like other countries ( .co.uk .de .ch ... etc ) ?!
Definitely. But I'm assuming these purchases are speculative, so are Colombian (local) end users actively buying .co/.com.co domains now ?

•••
Definitely. But I'm assuming these purchases are speculative, so are Colombian (local) end users actively buying .co/.com.co domains now ?

Irrelevant , and if they aren't buying right now then that's even better cuz that means they will buy tomorrow which means there is room for growth ,much like investing in Emerging markets stocks instead of developed markets . Another point here you don't have to sell to locals anyway , you could sell to anyone interested from around the world whom could benefit from Colombian traffic (45 Million ) .

•••

Sure but what good does that do us? Anything good is gone and losing value as I type.

•••
Sure but what good does that do us? Anything good is gone and losing value as I type.

OK ? i dont get your point so ? it has nothing to do with you as a dominer but it has to do with Colombia and Colombians ...

•••
OK ? i dont get your point so ? it has nothing to do with you as a dominer but it has to do with Colombia and Colombians ...

Is your point that Columbia should be able to own something close to worthless? That's what we're talking about here.

•••
Also, the long term value of .co is uncertain.
The registry continues to promote .com.co for the local market, and .co as a global extension.

I think .co will continue to lose momentum as an alternate extension for international use, because the hype cannot be sustained forever, especially with many more extensions around the corner. In fact, a lot of the initial frenzy is gone a long time ago.
So yes, there is the local market as a last resort but I wouldn't expect too much. I'm not Colombian so I'd rather err on the side of caution.

•••
Is your point that Columbia should be able to own something close to worthless? That's what we're talking about here.

Who decided it is worthless show me the numbers ?! Do you mean all .co domains should be deleted and dropped ? is that what you want , and who said they do care about how much a domain is worth , it is irrelevant they want to use the internet period .
Second most .com domains is worthless to , so ? I really dont get your point , this country has 45 Million people with 1.3 Million .co domains much like any cctld and even much less .

•••
Latest Sedo sales:

Tuscany.co - $4,000
Led.co - $3,125
Nina.co - $1,750
Hee.co - $1,500

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back