Domain Empire

Cloudflare might delete domain if NS not pointing to its servers?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

checkTLD

Impact
Cloudflare says they are going to delete if nameservers are not pointing to their nameservers. I haven't seen something like this. I would like to know more:

Is it legit possible considering ICANN?
Is it possible, can customer get refund?

Im not allowed to put url as my rating is low but you can search for "domain deleted cloudflare" in google.

Update : They have locked all domains to their name servers in their site.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Doesn't surprise me, they provide their registry for use with their services and provide it as cost price (no markup on registry price).

•••
You are not allowed to change NS if using Cloudflare.
It’s why i do not use them; i think they are overrated.

•••
I am familiar with them deleting CDN services for a site that doesn’t use their nameserbers, which makes sense, but not with them deleting the registration itself. When you say they’re going to delete your site, is it “this site is going to be deleted from cloudflare” (which sounds more drastic than it really is), or are you in danger of losing the domain?

•••
You are not allowed to change NS if using Cloudflare.
It’s why i do not use them; i think they are overrated.
I personally wouldn't use them as a registrar and I'm someone who uses their services heavily for my projects, if you have to have your domain as a "property" within cloudflare, because it seems heavy weight for just keeping your name with them.

However, if you have a need for DNS then you can't really get a bigger player and it's free. Their services are really good imho.

Last edited:
•••
Its not about deleting the domain from the registry. They will delete it from their backend (services) if you domain is no longer pointing to their DNS.

They've been doing it for ages. Not really an issue and a good security measure on their side.

•••
I think you're misunderstanding the use of the term "delete."

There's no way they're terminating your domain registration, this has nothing to do with ICANN. It's not really different than Squadhelp deleting your domain from their premium listings if you aren't using their nameservers. You're saying "I don't want to use your service" and so they're removing you from their service.

As @branding and others have said, why would they keep your domain listed in their services if you aren't using their services? I have to imagine it says somewhere in the terms of their at-cost domain registration that it's intended to be used with Cloudflare. I kind of doubt it's buried in the fineprint, they're probably very explicit about it, if not - they should be.

•••
Some hosting companies sell domain as bundle with hosting, or free with one year hosting plan. That means without buying hosting service for one year, the domain will not be yours. If you have already buy 1 year hosting plan, you can ask for the domain to move to other registrar before renewal time. If it is already renewal time, you have to renew it first before asking to move to other registrar. If the domain is free regisration with one year hosting plan, might be another rule aply. That is a common rule in hosting companies.

I only use Stablehost for buying domains at hosting company, because alot of discount events and domains are separated from hosting service.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back